Surfcaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
StFrons
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Surfcaster

Post by StFrons » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Without really knowing anything about the guitar at the time I picked up a Surfcaster a couple of years ago. Having been quite impressed with it I tried to find some more info, and soon discovered that this guitar had a lot more going for it than I knew when purchasing it :).

I am, however, not able to find out exactly which version I have, an thought perhaps someone out there might be able to shed some light on this?

From what I have read I know that there is a distinct difference between the Charvel and the Jackson Surfcasters, but at the same time it seems like there was a bit of a transition period where the Jacksons where made in Japan using Charvel parts?

This one is branded Jackson, it does however have two lipstick pickups, shark fin inlays and a semi hollow body.

It does however seem to have the 12-string Charvel headstock and bridge, but I pretty sure that this has never been setup as anything else than a 6-string.

The serial is 9652254, which from what I can gather indicates that it is made in Japan.

My guess so far is that this is probably build in the transition from Charvel to Jackson, using Charvel parts, but branded Jackson?

Any additional info would be appreciated. I am particularly intrigued by the 12-string parts. It seems to me that this could quite easily be converted to a 12-string version? Did Jackson ever release a 12-string version of the Surfcaster?

(Please also close your eyes for the previous owners decision to move the pick up selector switch. If anyone has a spare pickguard... :))

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Surfcaster

Post by MKR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:06 am

dude that's awesome. I have always loved the surfcaster.

To answer your question, yes there were 12 string versions of these and yours clearly was one. should be very easy to turn it back. all you need is a set of tuners.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 am

Here's one set up as a 12, though the pickups were changed.

https://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2010/3- ... 12-10.html

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:08 am

That's a pretty cool looking 5 string you have there :freako: ;D
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:36 am

Sorry for the late reply on this- it's been a while since I've been on & posting.

Your surfcaster is indeed an original Jackson Surf12, available for quite a few years after the original demise/absorption of the Charvel brand.

It was made in the Chushin Gakki factory in Japan, same as the original Charvel surfcasters and likely was assembled from the original Charvel parts- just branded as a Jackson to keep the option available. (and use up the existing stock, I imagine.) At this point in the Surfcaster's overall history, the quality, materials and craftsmanship are virtually identical to the original Charvels. The only real differences are the logo on the headstock, the Jackson serial number & neckplate, and about $300 less in collector/resale value if returned to stock configuration.

Aftermarket mods:
1) The pickup selector has been moved, and some sort of light installed in the original location (pickup selection indicator maybe? I'm curious as to the function.) There is also a strange white dot there between the knobs that is not original. As a player's mod this doesn't make me cringe too much- I've whacked that switch accidentally on occasion. I'm just generally curious about what wiring mods are under the guard.

2) The octave-course tuners have been removed, leaving the original holes along the sides of the headstock for easy reinstallation if the originals can be located. (These horizontal-post tuners have a slightly longer post to reach into the headstock slot, so just the standard replacement tuners may not work)

3) The original phenolic nut has been replaced with a 6-string nut, which would need to be replaced with a properly cut 12er nut to bring it back to factory spec & playability.

Anyway it looks like a great guitar- I love the neck & overall playability on these like nothing else.