Do I NEED A Bass VI?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do I NEED A Bass VI?

Post by WillPhistre » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 pm

MrShake wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:10 am
Money's tight. After all, I'm a musician.

I have a CIJ Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom in my guitarmy. Most likely a 2005 based on serial number. In my current project, not being much of a lead guitarist, I use it as the "lead/solo guitar" for a somewhat distinctive sound mixed in with the punk/shoegaze sounds I usually splash around in. Usually playing the lead melody lines just on the top 3 strings, generally with some reverb and maybe delay and flange if I'm feeling Cure-ish. I love the sound. I need to get some strings that will work for it. (I'm having trouble determining if the LaBella flats for the "Jaguar Bass VI" are the ones they used to make for this guitar's shorter scale.)

In any case, it pretty much takes care of what I need for it's purpose. Cure, New Order (etc.)-type single-string legato lines. ("Crystal" would be a good comparison.) I'd love to be able to use it as a standard bass as well, but I pick pretty hard and the low E feels a little spongy and has a tendency to drift out of tune a bit once I start dinking around with "Primary". Maybe it's the 10-year-old strings on it. I once tried picking up a big fat low E string to sub out, but it was too big for the tailpiece and I'm not eager to mod this guitar, it's so lovely and unique as it is.

I've been lusting after one of the Squier Bass VI reissues since they first came out. Again, longtime Cure fan, so I love those Bass VI sounds. I've tried a few of the Squiers in stores and really loved them, but that's not the same as really spending time with one.

To you experts, I pose the question -- do I NEED the Squier? Other than (perhaps) a more solid low E, what do you think it could offer me that my Jag Baritone Custom doesn't? Should I just deal with scratching it off my list and be content with the beautiful 6-string bass I already own? Or is there an indefinable something that the Squier might offer me that I don't realize I'm not getting from the Jag Bari? I feel like my Jag's hardtail will likely have a positive effect on tuning stability. I realize the pickups are different on the VI, there's a trem, and it's got a longer scale, but am I just itching to spend on something awesome that I'll ultimately find redundant?

Help is appreciated. If I need it, I'll keep it on my list, but if I can be convinced that I'm getting the bulk of the benefits from my Jag, I think I'd be happy learning to be content with what I have instead of wanting more, you know? What are your experiences? Can anyone compare the two directly?
I have some thoughts.

Having owned both, I'd say that they're definitely redundant. But the Squier does the Bass VI thing better. So what I would do is get the Squier, but keep your Jag Bari — and get some baritone guitar strings for it.

This solution is perfect because:

A) The Squier VI will be easier, cheaper and less worrisome to mod, and you can easily live your Cure-iest dreams, only much more so

B) The 28.5" scale of the Jag works really well for baritone, and you essentially have another new toy to play with/be inspired by

C) You get some relief from your Gas

D) You can find a used Squier VI for criminally cheap prices and mod as you go

E) Your FOMO won't be so bad, and now you can live in a sea of weird offset bass-y weirdness

Right? Tell me this isn't great

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 pm

WillPhistre wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:53 am
windmill wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:15 am

In other news - there is someone on the board with a VI and a Jag Baritone custom !!

How many other members have this particular combo ?

:)
Right here, baby. But mine is (was) the Japan-market-only version, otherwise known as the Fender Jaguar BOTTOM MASTER. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bases0YjhDa ... _joy_of_vi

Unfortunately I had to sell it last year due to an apartment fire for which I had no renter's insurance.

Nowadays I have the combo that most poor Bass VI nerds have: Squier VI and Squier VMJM Baritone (Antigua, and strung as a VI — E-to-E).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BasZQ4aDZau ... _joy_of_vi

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcWS0MAj0uZ ... _joy_of_vi
There were two people !

That is amazing !

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Zork wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:04 pm
The Bass VI was originally designed for flatwounds, right?
Yes. And that's why I always recommend these: http://www.labella.com/products/767-6f- ... ats-26-95/

The strings make an enormous difference on a Bass VI. Put on some La Bella strings and it's a completely different instrument.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

clef051
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clef051 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:53 am

See if you can find one to try. Although they are sort of hard to come by, depending on where you are. I bought one awhile ago and it is a really fun instrument.

I haven’t played a Jaguar baritone. I had a couple different standard baritones (tuned b-b). I much prefer the VI.

I ended up swapping most everything out on it. Although most of the parts really are fine. Really the ones I’d recommend the most would be the bridge(I want with staytrem), and strings (I use the kalium 105 set.

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 am

clef051 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:53 am
See if you can find one to try. Although they are sort of hard to come by, depending on where you are. I bought one awhile ago and it is a really fun instrument.

I haven’t played a Jaguar baritone. I had a couple different standard baritones (tuned b-b). I much prefer the VI.

I ended up swapping most everything out on it. Although most of the parts really are fine. Really the ones I’d recommend the most would be the bridge(I want with staytrem), and strings (I use the kalium 105 set.

Not to speak for OP, but he said that he's spent some time playing them in store and he's definitely into them.

What have you swapped out on yours? I'm thinking about putting strat pickups in mine (don't kill me OSG!)

clef051
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clef051 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 am

tuners, pickups, bridge, trem

I didn't really have to do most of them I had the tuners laying around from a american reissue strat, wanted the lock on the trem. Those two probably aren't really necessary. I didn't mind the pickups but wanted something else so I swapped them to manlius jaguar pro pickups. I had shielding while I had it opened up. I also used its pots on it that I had laying around

Really though other than changing the bridge. I wouldn't consider any of it necessary. The bridge drove me nuts I think it lasted about a few weeks on there and half of that was waiting for staytrem to ship it over get it over here.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 am

clef051 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 am

I didn't really have to do most of them I had the tuners laying around from a american reissue strat, wanted the lock on the trem. Those two probably aren't really necessary. I didn't mind the pickups but wanted something else so I swapped them to manlius jaguar pro pickups. I had shielding while I had it opened up. I also used its pots on it that I had laying around

Really though other than changing the bridge. I wouldn't consider any of it necessary. The bridge drove me nuts I think it lasted about a few weeks on there and half of that was waiting for staytrem to ship it over get it over here.
Good mods for sure but would only swap the trem system if it’s integral to your playing style.

IMO the trem on a Bass VI is useless. It might be a neat effect here or there but I can’t imagine anybody doing anything that substantial with it. Even most the players who made these famous don’t even plug the bar in!

Bridge & String swap for sure on the VI Squier.

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:34 pm

So far I've done:

brass nut

white switches

white bass knobs

1meg pots

the reverse wiring mod (removed bass-cut, used it to switch phase or whatever)

hardtail trem plate

staytrem, locked

white pickguard swap

I'm about to do:

strat pickups (I could actually use some guidance if anyone has ever done this)

aluminum neck (should arrive sometime in june)

clef051
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clef051 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 am
clef051 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 am

Good mods for sure but would only swap the trem system if it’s integral to your playing style.

IMO the trem on a Bass VI is useless. It might be a neat effect here or there but I can’t imagine anybody doing anything that substantial with it. Even most the players who made these famous don’t even plug the bar in!

Bridge & String swap for sure on the VI Squier.
Trem wasn't really necessary, but it is fun to use and i wanted the lock on it. i don't even really listen to anyone that uses a VI as far as I know.