New G&L Doheny

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New G&L Doheny

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:51 pm

sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm
sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Holy crap! I haven't tried a fuzz pedal with my Doheny yet!

But, with its ability to keep the super clean high end no matter where the volume level is, and then the full spectrum of tonal adjustments available, I bet it is going to do well.
Yes sir!
What fuzzes are you Rockin ?
Right now I have a Big Muff Pi, the green one with the Wicker switch. I'm like... 80% happy with it. I like the Wicker switch. I can get really bright and really dark sounds out of it, but I'm having a hard time getting something other than extremes. I'm still looking for my fuzz pedal.

I am extremely open to suggestions on fuzz pedals right, because every fuzz pedal is the best damn fuzz pedal ever created, according to someone.
I haven't heard the one with the Wicker Switch!..there are so many fuzzes out there, and I know what you mean about what you say in your last sentence! Truer words have never been spoken!

I too haven't found my holy grail fuzz, and I am starting to think that this may not exist!

I used to have an original 90s green big box Russian Big Muff that was pretty glorious sounding but I sold it (for a lot of money). I bought and still use a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz which is a very good Big Muff, with good tweak-ability, and is worth checking out. I had a Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss Fuzz (more aggressive musket fuzz) but it was too bright and brash for me and traded it. I've had an old school silicon Roger Mayer space ship fuzz but sold that too as it gave really good Hendrix fuzz tones but that's about it. I had a Wampler Velvet Fuzz which is a solid fuzz, in the tonebender toward Muff type fuzz, and initially I loved it but it was almost too polite for me, and I traded that too. I have a Catalinbread Moseley fuzzrite and it gives a very authentic Fuzzrite sound but it is not very versatile. I also have a Way Huge Russian Pickle that does the Green Russian Muff thing really well, but I think the Musket Fuzz can do that sound and is more versatile, and has more volume on tap. Now sacrilege time, but my Eventide H9 actually does a pretty good fuzz, believe it or not. So between the musket fuzz, my catalinbread fuzzrite, and the H9 fuzz I am currently content and I've decided to stop the impulse to keep buying fuzzes.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 pm

RIORIO wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:24 pm
Looks like i've joined the club....as of about 5 min ago :)

Image080095C by Collopyjosh, on Flickr
Far Out! And with a reverse headstock too! Was that a special run? What body wood? That thing is wicked looking, racing stripe and all!

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Special run for Dave's...got it basically new but for a huge discount

Description:

Belair Green with the matching headstock and White Racing Stripe, Basswood body, Optional 3-ply Mint/Black/Mint pickguard, Modern Classic shaped Hard Rock Maple neck with the optional reverse headstock, 9.5″ radius Rosewood fingerboard with the optional White binding and White Pearl Block inlays, Medium jumbo frets, 1 11/16th” width at the nut, DF Vibrato bridge and Sperzel locking tuners, G&L MFD Formvar wound wide bobbin bridge and neck pickups, 3 way switching with the volume, treble, and bass controls,

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:51 pm
I too haven't found my holy grail fuzz, and I am starting to think that this may not exist!
No joke. And that is a lot of fuzzes. i'd have to check my records to name mine, but I buy a used fuzz a few times a year. My main problem has been that most are too "creamy" and the others are too harsh int he brights. I want something bright, but not brittle. I want to fuzz without losing ALL of my strings into a swamp. Balanced, tight attack fuzz. From what I have read, the Russian seems to have accomplished that.

My Big Muff seems to have very little difference between 0 and 10 on the sustain.

I'm going to try out the Musket, as the samples on YouTube sound promising.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:51 am

RIORIO wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 pm
Special run for Dave's...got it basically new but for a huge discount

Description:

Belair Green with the matching headstock and White Racing Stripe, Basswood body, Optional 3-ply Mint/Black/Mint pickguard, Modern Classic shaped Hard Rock Maple neck with the optional reverse headstock, 9.5″ radius Rosewood fingerboard with the optional White binding and White Pearl Block inlays, Medium jumbo frets, 1 11/16th” width at the nut, DF Vibrato bridge and Sperzel locking tuners, G&L MFD Formvar wound wide bobbin bridge and neck pickups, 3 way switching with the volume, treble, and bass controls,
Very cool! You’ll be the Jimmi Hendrix of offsets with that reverse headstock!
Let us know how you like it, and I’m curious how that reverse headstock will feel compared to your other guitars, regarding string tension and playability. Congratulations!

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 am

sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:51 pm
No joke. And that is a lot of fuzzes. i'd have to check my records to name mine, but I buy a used fuzz a few times a year. My main problem has been that most are too "creamy" and the others are too harsh int he brights. I want something bright, but not brittle. I want to fuzz without losing ALL of my strings into a swamp. Balanced, tight attack fuzz. From what I have read, the Russian seems to have accomplished that.

My Big Muff seems to have very little difference between 0 and 10 on the sustain.

I'm going to try out the Musket, as the samples on YouTube sound promising.
I totally hear you. The musket does have a focused, tight and very punchy, muff like, fuzz. So it may work for you, I definitely think you should give it a spin. There is a V1 and V2, I think the V2 is an upgraded version. I have a V2. But it’s a muff, it won’t give you really authentic retro fuzz face, tonebender or fuzzrite type fuzz. It stacks well with other gain pedals too if you dial it right. If you were in the Atlanta area I’d refer you to Atlanta Discount Music to check one out. Good hunting!

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 am

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 am
But it’s a muff, it won’t give you really authentic retro fuzz face, tonebender or fuzzrite type fuzz...
Yeah. I leaned toward Muff when I first started trying things out because my reading and listening lead me to the conclusion that it would be more dynamic and versatile (in so far as fuzz is dynamic and versatile). I have played Fuzzface pedals, and my reaction is "Yep. That's fuzz." I don't find them useful for much beyond the sonic complexity of a note or two at a time. But then, that's what people using them are probably looking for.

I've also moved into playing mostly through my DAW over the last year or so, even sending the output to my amp on a clean channel when not recording, as it has all the tools I use while recording. And when working with digital manipulation of a signal, the line between overdrive, distortion and fuzz becomes one of wave and clipping shape (with a lot of other variables like EQ and signal feedback and whatnot), so... yeah.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 am

sirspens wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 am
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 am
But it’s a muff, it won’t give you really authentic retro fuzz face, tonebender or fuzzrite type fuzz...
Yeah. I leaned toward Muff when I first started trying things out because my reading and listening lead me to the conclusion that it would be more dynamic and versatile (in so far as fuzz is dynamic and versatile). I have played Fuzzface pedals, and my reaction is "Yep. That's fuzz." I don't find them useful for much beyond the sonic complexity of a note or two at a time. But then, that's what people using them are probably looking for.

I've also moved into playing mostly through my DAW over the last year or so, even sending the output to my amp on a clean channel when not recording, as it has all the tools I use while recording. And when working with digital manipulation of a signal, the line between overdrive, distortion and fuzz becomes one of wave and clipping shape (with a lot of other variables like EQ and signal feedback and whatnot), so... yeah.
I can dig it. I'm gonna move this conversation to PM.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Congrats, RIORIO! She's a beauty!

Regarding fuzz pedals, I love my Fulltone Octafuzz . A minor annoyance for me is that I can't use it in my normal power supply chain due to it requiring it's own power suppy because of the reverse polarity 9vDC. Otherwise, it nails the fuzz sounds I need. If anyone can recommend a comparable non-reverse polarity fuzz pedal (I'm absolutley clueless as to what's available).
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Snorre wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Regarding fuzz pedals, I love my Fulltone Octafuzz . A minor annoyance for me is that I can't use it in my normal power supply chain due to it requiring it's own power suppy because of the reverse polarity 9vDC. Otherwise, it nails the fuzz sounds I need. If anyone can recommend a comparable non-reverse polarity fuzz pedal (I'm absolutley clueless as to what's available).
Thank you!

Good to know about that full tone Octafuzz. So it does an octave above or below? I used to have a 90s RAT on my board and I just used an adapter cable from the Voodoo Lab power supply, I'm sure you should be able to do the same no?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Played a few of these the other day and was pretty impressed (a US hardtail and Tribute model). Great sounding pickups and the tone controls were surprisingly versatile. Well done, G&L.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 pm
Played a few of these the other day and was pretty impressed (a US hardtail and Tribute model). Great sounding pickups and the tone controls were surprisingly versatile. Well done, G&L.
Yeah the pickups and the tone controls have been a fantastically pleasant surprise! I’m contemplating getting a hard tail too at some point!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 am

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Yeah the pickups and the tone controls have been a fantastically pleasant surprise! I’m contemplating getting a hard tail too at some point!
My only real complaint is the fret size. I like a little smaller.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 pm
Snorre wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Thank you!

Good to know about that full tone Octafuzz. So it does an octave above or below? I used to have a 90s RAT on my board and I just used an adapter cable from the Voodoo Lab power supply, I'm sure you should be able to do the same no?
The Octafuzz has a switch to go from regular fuzz to an octave above. To clarify, I have a power supply and cable specifically for the Octafuzzz so that I can still use it my Boss pedalboard. I just can't run it in the my Boss pedalboard's daisy chain to a single power supply cable through all my other pedals due to the normal polarity power supply for my other pedals. In case I'm misunderstanding, I'll look into the Voodoo Lab adapter cable - thanks!
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:58 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 am
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am
marqueemoon wrote:
My only real complaint is the fret size. I like a little smaller.
I totally understand. For me they work really well but luckily I'm pretty adaptable to fret size, I guess the only frets I may not be totally crazy about is like the super duper jumbo frets and the super low frets like on the Gibson " "fretless wonders".

Hopefully though G&L will offer different accoutrements, including different frets, like they do for their other guitars in the near future!