New G&L Doheny

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New G&L Doheny

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm

I've owned a Johnny Marr JagUar, and I currently have a Jazzmaster Custom Shop 64 Closet Classic, and I just got a Doheny, Empress Body, with DF Vibrato.

I have to say I love it. The string spacing feels just a wee bit tad narrow and the neck a tad slim for what I'm used to, but I have to say it is a very fast playing neck, which invites shredding, rocknroll double stop abandon, super fast Barre chord playing, etc. Picking arpeggios on an open A chord feels a tad crowded maybe, but I don't do much of that anyway.

The fit and finish is excellent, and the frets are nicely polished, with a low action and no annoying buzz. I understand these are Pleked and it shows. One of my best playing guitars at the moment.

The tone on this thing is incredible though! First of all the Empress body makes for a guitar just under 7lbs. It is very resonant acoustically, but it is an electric of course, and where it matters, plugged in, it has superb sustain and a gorgeous tone! On a structural level I think that it starts with the fact that that DF Vibrato has posts set in large brass inserts, and the saddles and sustain block are really high quality, solid and really well made (I have to look it up but I think they are brass and the sustain block stainless steel or also brass? whatever it is it is massively solid). The Vibrato action is probably the best I've tried and the guitar stays in tune great (standard tuners). I even dig the way the geometry of the tremolo arm is designed (I did have to bend it up a bit) as it makes it very easy to hold and pick, and even play lead, at the same time. It is also very easy to adjust the tension on the trem bar to be able to move it but also stay where you set it while playing.

The electronics and the MFD pickups are also a total revelation. They are very sparkly and high fidelity, but not sterile at all. Having the high and the bass cut tone knobs makes for a gorgeous array of tones. All the controls are extremely useable and compel you to play with them. This is definitely NOT a keep all knobs on 10 guitar. Turning the volume down retains clarity and high end. The tonal range of this guitar is incredible. I like sparkly, twangy, bright single coil sounds and I get that with the volume on 8, treble cut on 3-5 and bass cut on 3-5. But you could dial in much fatter and warmer sounds, very easily. This is all with clean, to edge of breakup, to medium overdrive tones. I haven't had a chance to go high gain yet, but I rarely use really high gain these days.

And..yes, I even dig the headstock. And I'm one aesthetically high strung bastard too when it comes to guitar design, especially headstock design.

I think I may just have to get a hardtail sister guitar for this gal.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New G&L Doheny

Post by RIORIO » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm

I love the Doheny. Seriously amazing guitars...surprised they’re not more popular around here!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 pm

RIORIO wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm
I love the Doheny. Seriously amazing guitars...surprised they’re not more popular around here!
They're selling well and I haven't seen a single negative review from anybody that has actually owned one. I think they will be a slow burner here. Once more people play them and realize they're not just fancy Jagmasters, they will likely become more popular.

I can't wait to get one. My biggest criticism is the name. They could have come up with something catchier and easier to pronounce. Maybe something that doesn't pigeonhole it into a genre. Jazzmaster had that problem early on. Some people might think the Doheny is just a surf guitar.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Don_Karnage » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 am

Congrats! I think those look so much better with dot inlays. I can appreciate blocks on a JM but on these... I dunno, just doesnt look right to me. A shame you cant get dots on the tribute model.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm
This is definitely NOT a keep all knobs on 10 guitar.
My favorite feature of this guitar. It is SO versatile.

And the Empress wood makes for a comfortably light guitar without it even occurring to you that you are playing a guitar made of such a light wood.

Have fun! And go high gain, it does it beautifully.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 pm

RIORIO wrote:
I agree. I think they augment the more traditional jazzmaster and jaguar well. And in the hardtail version it can totally obviate the need to go boutique like with an Elliott guitar, etc.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:39 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 pm
RIORIO wrote:
They're selling well and I haven't seen a single negative review from anybody that has actually owned one. I think they will be a slow burner here. Once more people play them and realize they're not just fancy Jagmasters, they will likely become more popular.

I can't wait to get one. My biggest criticism is the name. They could have come up with something catchier and easier to pronounce. Maybe something that doesn't pigeonhole it into a genre. Jazzmaster had that problem early on. Some people might think the Doheny is just a surf guitar.
Good points. I guess it is hard to come up with good names. I guess the name doesn't bum me out though. Initially I thought it should have the name on the headstock, but I've changed my mind and I like the cleaner look with the G&L logo only, unless they wrote it in fairly small script. It will be interesting to see what happens with these in the marketplace, and how G&L treats the design in the future.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Don_Karnage wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 am
Congrats! I think those look so much better with dot inlays. I can appreciate blocks on a JM but on these... I dunno, just doesnt look right to me. A shame you cant get dots on the tribute model.
Thank you!
I have to admit if I was ordering a custom shop one I would succumb and order it with binding and block inlays and matching headstock, which I personally really like on the Doheny's I've seen with those accoutrements. I do agree that blocks without binding is strange looking and dots look much better. I saw one that I liked otherwise, but it had a rosewood fretboard, no binding....and BLACK block inlays ...yuck ...didn't like that one at all!
Last edited by RocknRollShakeUp on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:46 pm

sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm
This is definitely NOT a keep all knobs on 10 guitar.
My favorite feature of this guitar. It is SO versatile.

And the Empress wood makes for a comfortably light guitar without it even occurring to you that you are playing a guitar made of such a light wood.

Have fun! And go high gain, it does it beautifully.
Yeah, I'm kind of shocked that I never heard how amazing the MFD with the PTB wiring can be! The tonal power is literally without parallel!

Digging the Empress wood too, glad I went with that choice, thanks for your help! I'm almost afraid that a 7lb offset, with that light weight, and the superior ergonomics, may spoil me too much, and estrange me from my other guitars! First world problems, I know ;D !

This weekend I'll be able to rock the high gain, and high gain with FUZZZ! :w00t:

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:10 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:46 pm
This weekend I'll be able to rock the high gain, and high gain with FUZZZ! :w00t:
Holy crap! I haven't tried a fuzz pedal with my Doheny yet!

But, with its ability to keep the super clean high end no matter where the volume level is, and then the full spectrum of tonal adjustments available, I bet it is going to do well.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm

If the offered alternative Bridges & Tremelos I'd be interested in a Custom Shop model.. But they don't so.......

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm

sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:10 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:

But, with its ability to keep the super clean high end no matter where the volume level is, and then the full spectrum of tonal adjustments available, I bet it is going to do well.
Yes sir!
What fuzzes are you Rockin ?

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm
If the offered alternative Bridges & Tremelos I'd be interested in a Custom Shop model.. But they don't so.......
That would be a cool option for the custom shop to offer.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm
sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:10 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:

Yes sir!
What fuzzes are you Rockin ?
Right now I have a Big Muff Pi, the green one with the Wicker switch. I'm like... 80% happy with it. I like the Wicker switch. I can get really bright and really dark sounds out of it, but I'm having a hard time getting something other than extremes. I'm still looking for my fuzz pedal.

I am extremely open to suggestions on fuzz pedals right, because every fuzz pedal is the best damn fuzz pedal ever created, according to someone.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Looks like i've joined the club....as of about 5 min ago :)

Image080095C by Collopyjosh, on Flickr