Offset detectives, did I find a prototype Ryan Jarman Signature Model at the pawn shop?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Offset detectives, did I find a prototype Ryan Jarman Signature Model at the pawn shop?

Post by JamesSGBrown » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 am

Was this colour choice inspired by Ryan’s Venus by any chance?

Kicking myself for not picking a burgundy one up when I had the chance

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Offset detectives, did I find a prototype Ryan Jarman Signature Model at the pawn shop?

Post by Kent » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 am

Jarman wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:52 pm
Kent wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm
If you'd ever worked for a large manufacturer, you'd know that this kind of thing happens regularly. Although it is a syrupy notion to 'return' a guitar to a fellow that has never seen it, played it, or done more than discuss it (and really doesn't need it); I don't see the point beyond signaling one's virtue. It certainly isn't 'doing the right thing'.
It's doing something that initially seems like the right thing but is rather unwarranted in this case. I'd find out if it was stolen. If not , YOU are the legal and rightful owner.

You got lucky. If the guitar isn't stolen (contact Fender yourself), then I hope that it serves you well.

Again, prototypes, engineering builds, and other experiments make their ways into the public all the time. I'm looking at 4 of them right now.
For the record, I never disputed his ownership over the guitar, or asked for it back. It does however hold a lot of value to us, as it was a key part of the design process of a project that we were very engaged in - and was a custom build for Ryan that was intended to be the official alternate colour. We were always sad that this part of the story was lost. So it means a heck of a lot to him. He was totally blown away to see it today.

Spingo’s kindness in offering to give us the opportunity to get it back is something we are very grateful for and so will make sure he is rewarded for this and that he isn’t without a guitar.
You come off as an awesome person that is making things right. Nice to read about!

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:06 am

What a weird and cool thing to happen

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:25 am

Great story, guys! And man, that guitar is smoking... gees!

I read what Gary said way back in the day about this "apple green" color... but I just assumed it would be in some sort of ... well, APPLE GREEN shade, which is definitely more green, and I'd expect metallic as well, kinda like candy apple red, but in a light green shade.

Now I don't want so spoil anything, but... why can't this just be a refin?

Also, if someone at fender just grabbed this guitar to make some money, why would they just leave it at a pawn shop and not create some ebay ad claiming it's the proto?

Anyways, the guitar is awesome, and Spingo will have a story to tell his grandchildren about the guitar he returned to the Cribs, which is one of my fave bands ever.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:34 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:06 am
What a weird and cool thing to happen
...just as the old SY thread had been re-bumped outta its grave. So cool!
And yes Jarman, tell the Fender guys to come in here. We REALLY buy the stuff once it's on the market 😜
Still loving my Jarman very much!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

cmd2kx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmd2kx » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 am

This is a great story and a fantastic reason to keep visiting these forums.

Now we need to get the message to Fender to release the RSD Bridge!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 pm

cmd2kx wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 am
This is a great story and a fantastic reason to keep visiting these forums.

Now we need to get the message to Fender to release the RSD Bridge!
No, we don't. We need to get the message to Fender to stop it with those hideous things because they're uglier than Medusa.

And this thread is both interesting and full of the warm fuzzies. Both parties demonstrating how to be a class act.
This is an excellent rectangle

Acidhouse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acidhouse » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Who knows whether it was stolen? I'm guessing some sort of incompetence on FMIC or the manufacturers part. I think it is very cool that Spingo is willing to get this back to RJ. It seems like FMIC should make Spingo whole though for him being a great sport about this. Honestly, RJ, if it were me, I would probably work something out directly with Spingo so you can get it back directly to you. These guys already lost this one once. You sure you want to risk it again?

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 pm

Nice.

That 'Apple Green' looks very similar to Seafoam Green, no? Not as light?
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Fender did an FSR of Classic Series Strats a few years ago and one was Apple Green.

I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 pm

This is amazing! Great find Spingo!

For what it's worth, this is exactly what I'd have done were I to have my own Musuar - make it green to match my Venus (I'm not a Cribs nut but I clearly have excellent taste that has rubbed off on them...!). Is it right they only made 150 as mentioned above? That's nuts! And also probably nixes my chances of ever actually owning one now I've been caught napping.

C'mon Jar-men, tell them to get a few more out there!

And also hope this all works out and you get your guitar back. Looking forward to hearing of an emotional reunion!

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:58 am

Jarman wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 pm
Holy - fucking - shit. Someone just hit me up about this at home.

This is crazy. Whilst we were using and road-testing the prototypes for our signature guitars (before official release) we met up with Fender at SXSW 2015 and they showed us an alternate DuPont colour chart that they were going to be using on a run of 50’s strats to be released later that year.

One of the colours on this chart was "apple green", and we spoke with Fender that night about releasing the musuar in this colour as a standard alternate to the burgundy mist guitar. They agreed it was a good idea and went away to start building some in this colour for us.

Later on in the year, we hear back that the Chinese factory had been building these, but couldn't quite get the colour mix correct for that specific finish and the idea is shelved. So, I believe that it's quite possible that there are a few of these out there in varying shades of green.

Fast forward to early 2016, and we hear from Fender that our guitars are going to be the final signature guitars released (for the time being at least...) ahead of Squier streamlining their range to concentrate on specific models. And so our guitars were just released in the one finish each.

This apple green guitar was supposed to be shipped to us at some point, but then the trail went cold after our guitars were released to the public and we subsequently went away on tour and got busy with that and studio stuff etc. Must have just fallen through the cracks after the project was completed and in the stores.

I can’t believe you actually have it! We have had about a million conversations about that guitars whereabouts over the last couple of years! :wtf:
Sounds like you outta book a flight to Scottsdale

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm

spingo wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:01 am
Welp. Did I find a prototype Ryan Jarman Signature Model at the pawn shop? It seems that yes, yes I did.

I could not be more pleased with how things turned out. Thanks again to Jarman's invisible pal who showed him this post!
Really Great story unfolding here!! Curious as to how much the pawn store sold it for?

spingo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by spingo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 am

FenderBob wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Curious as to how much the pawn store sold it for?
Less! :)

Yeatzee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Yeatzee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:34 am

What a sweet looking guitar and great story! Much prefer this color over BM as well.