Question for those with Fender 12 strings

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Question for those with Fender 12 strings

Post by Don B » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Have any of you cut new nuts and strung it reverse/Rickenbacker style? Did it sound more like a Ric or did it make any substantial difference at all?

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question for those with Fender 12 strings

Post by jakeisjake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:38 am

Don B wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:28 pm
Have any of you cut new nuts and strung it reverse/Rickenbacker style? Did it sound more like a Ric or did it make any substantial difference at all?
i just did it with a danelectro.

it definitely changes the sound...i think for the better. but it doesn't sound like a Ric. i'm looking forward to getting down to GC to play a regular dano 12...because i can't A and B the sound and memory is a strange thing.

but i would say it softens the sound...darkens it a little, so it's not so glassy and brittle.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question for those with Fender 12 strings

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 am

I did this with one of my Surfcaster 12s a couple years back, and was generally happy with the mod. Observations:

1) the sound didn't change all that much- possibly a slight darkening of the tone due to the downstroke hitting the beefy strings first, but nothing that I had to account for when A/B-ing between my conventionally-strung ones.

2) The main difference (advantage) for me came in the play-feel department. I'm a decently aggressive player, so I would often break that octave E string- after the mod I never broke it again. Definitely freed me up on some of the heavies...