Jazzmasters with "modern" Tremolo Spacing?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmasters with "modern" Tremolo Spacing?

Post by politicalEconomist » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 am

What are the recent Jazzmasters (<20 years old) that have the same body shape and use the modern tremolo spacing like the spacing found on the Squier JMJM and the Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster? I am also open to copies/clones or 3-party bodies that have the modern spacing.

If there is a thread somewhere that already covers this ground please just let me know.

I will try to update this post below with the information so this can serve as a reference.

The reason for my question:
I am building a set of guitars that I want to all have the same "feel" as my beloved Squier JMJM but with different pickup configurations. I already have Squier JMJM necks for all 3 of the projects, but I still need bodies for two of the projects and would like something different from the White of the JMJM and the Red of the Deluxe.

Thanks!

[ lists last updated on 06.14.19 ]

===================================================
Squier Jazzmasters with the "Modern" Tremolo Spacing:
- Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster (all years)
- Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster TR (all years)

Fender Jazzmasters with the "Modern" Tremolo Spacing:
- Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster Special (years?)
- Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster Limited Edition: CME Exclusive (years?)
- Fender Player Series Jazzmaster (years?)
- Fender Standard Jazzmaster HH (years?)
- Fender Special Edition Jazzmaster HH (years?)
- Fender Special Edition Blacktop Jazzmaster HH (years?)
- Fender Special Edition Blacktop Jazzmaster HS (years?)

==========================================================
Copies, clones etc... "Jazzmasters" with the "Modern" Tremolo Spacing:
==========================================================
- ?

===================================================================
New or Replacement Bodies for "Jazzmasters" with the "Modern" Tremolo Spacing:
===================================================================
- ?
Last edited by politicalEconomist on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 am, edited 11 times in total.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmasters with "modern" Tremolo Spacing?

Post by 601210 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 am

The Classic Player Jazzmaster Special has almost the exact same specs as the JMJM, except it's MIM. Closer tremolo spacing and TOM bridge.

The Blacktop Jazzmaster and Player Series Jazzmaster has the closer spacing and a traditional bridge, but has one or two humbuckers.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 am

If this thread is to become a reference - and I do think it's a good idea to make a reference - can we please correct all the misspellings of Squier in the first post? I realize that this may sound like an OCD thing (it probably is) but I think there's virtue in accuracy.

politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by politicalEconomist » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 am

alexpigment wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 am
If this thread is to become a reference - and I do think it's a good idea to make a reference - can we please correct all the misspellings of Squier in the first post? I realize that this may sound like an OCD thing (it probably is) but I think there's virtue in accuracy.
Done. Autocorrect and Grammarly can be the enemy at times. :)

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:45 am

Fender Standard Jazzmaster HH. (MIM)
Modern tremolo spacing / zebra 'blacktop' dual split Humbuckers / jazzmaster bridge / Pickguard - Black / body colours - Black, white, ghost silver.
https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electric- ... &rdl=en_GB

Fender Special Edition Jazzmaster HH (MIC?)
Modern tremolo spacing / 2 blacktop Humbuckers / Jazzmaster Bridge / Pickguard - white percoid / body colour - white opal
https://www.creamcitymusic.com/fender-s ... hite-opal/

Modern tremolo spacing / 2 von vintage alnico Humbuckers / Jazzmaster Bridge / Pickguard - black / body colour - black with red racing stripe
https://www.creamcitymusic.com/fender-s ... -in-black/

:)
May the Fuzz be with you

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 am

Searching “Jazzmaster” on Musicians Friend yields like 2 pages that would answer this question for you incredibly faster than it’d take to write that post, wait for people to reply, etc.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 am

To be fair, I don’t think half of the guitars mentioned would have shown up on musiciansfriend. I presume the OP is wanting a list of models, irrespective of whether they’re still being made. On the other hand, I feel like this is pretty much all of them.

politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by politicalEconomist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 am
Searching “Jazzmaster” on Musicians Friend yields like 2 pages that would answer this question for you incredibly faster than it’d take to write that post, wait for people to reply, etc.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am also looking for models not currently in production. Also, I don't see information about the tremolo spacing listed on Musicians Friend or even on Fender/Squire's own website.

If there is a place online where the spacing is listed for all Jazzmasters made in the last 20 years I will be happy to put the link above and update the lists. I have no found such a list anywhere.

politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by politicalEconomist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 am

601210 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 am
The Classic Player Jazzmaster Special has almost the exact same specs as the JMJM, except it's MIM. Closer tremolo spacing and TOM bridge.

The Blacktop Jazzmaster and Player Series Jazzmaster has the closer spacing and a traditional bridge, but has one or two humbuckers.
Thanks I have added those to the list above.

politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by politicalEconomist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:58 am

Squareball wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:45 am
Fender Standard Jazzmaster HH. (MIM)
Modern tremolo spacing / zebra 'blacktop' dual split Humbuckers / jazzmaster bridge / Pickguard - Black / body colours - Black, white, ghost silver.
https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electric- ... &rdl=en_GB

Modern tremolo spacing / 2 blacktop Humbuckers / Jazzmaster Bridge / Pickguard - white percoid / body colour - white opal
https://www.creamcitymusic.com/fender-s ... hite-opal/

Modern tremolo spacing / 2 von vintage alnico Humbuckers / Jazzmaster Bridge / Pickguard - black / body colour - black with red racing stripe
https://www.creamcitymusic.com/fender-s ... -in-black/

:)
Thanks I have added those to the list above. I appreciate it.

politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by politicalEconomist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 am

alexpigment wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 am
To be fair, I don’t think half of the guitars mentioned would have shown up on musiciansfriend. I presume the OP is wanting a list of models, irrespective of whether they’re still being made. On the other hand, I feel like this is pretty much all of them.
Yes! I am looking for any models made in the last 20 years or so.

I assume that takes care of all of the JMs with the modern spacing, but if there are others that are older, I am happy to add those too.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:36 am

Isn't CME selling some of the classic player specials in colors like surf green and lake placid blue that also have this trem spacing? I think their whole deal is that they have Pau Ferro fretboards but matching headstocks. Link:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pa ... s-are-here

I think if OP is just looking for the bodies that Stratosphere might have just the bodies from these for sale individually sometimes.

politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by politicalEconomist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 am

tune_link wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:36 am
Isn't CME selling some of the classic player specials in colors like surf green and lake placid blue that also have this trem spacing? I think their whole deal is that they have Pau Ferro fretboards but matching headstocks. Link:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pa ... s-are-here

I think if OP is just looking for the bodies that Stratosphere might have just the bodies from these for sale individually sometimes.
Added to the list!

Nice looking guitars. And yes I am on the lookout for bodies so I will keep an eye out for these.

Thanks.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 pm

politicalEconomist wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 am
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am also looking for models not currently in production. Also, I don't see information about the tremolo spacing listed on Musicians Friend or even on Fender/Squire's own website.

If there is a place online where the spacing is listed for all Jazzmasters made in the last 20 years I will be happy to put the link above and update the lists. I have no found such a list anywhere.
Wasn’t trying to be a dick I swear.

I’m pretty sure that all the models that have this feature are still being produced and sold new, so my MF suggestion had more to do with scrolling through the page and 3/4 of results and looking at them.

This is still something I don’t think I’ve ever learned about, like why they did it or continue to do so. I mean I know what the stated reasons are I’ve just never heard about when it was conceived and tested or whatever. I’ve got it on a JMJM and it’s fine - picking behind the strings doesn’t sound the same but if I’m honest that’s a pretty limited feature even at original spacing, at least as far as my abilities will take it (but it’s still something I do fucking constantly haha).

Always thought it was interesting how Mascis’ personal custom Squier has traditional spacing unlike the production models, and Troy Van Leeuwen’s personal JM has the new spacing, unlike the production ones. I remember someone saying a while back that he didn’t have a lot of experience with Jazzmasters, started working on his custom deal, ok’d everything as good to go and saw a picture and realized it was different and immediately reached out and insisted on having traditional spacing on the production ones. I really wish J. had done the same but like I said, modern spacing is fine. I got that guitar to do heavy stuff with and it has a definite increase in sustain/feels more appropriate for that type of playing.

politicalEconomist
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by politicalEconomist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:40 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Always thought it was interesting how Mascis’ personal custom Squier has traditional spacing unlike the production models, and Troy Van Leeuwen’s personal JM has the new spacing, unlike the production ones. I remember someone saying a while back that he didn’t have a lot of experience with Jazzmasters, started working on his custom deal, ok’d everything as good to go and saw a picture and realized it was different and immediately reached out and insisted on having traditional spacing on the production ones.
Wow. I never realized that they both have the opposite spacing on their personal models. I know Mascis has a Fender that the Squier is based off of and it is a vintage model so it has the traditional spacing. But the Squiers he plays out seem to be the same as the production models on the spacing. You can see one in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaNmXyO6ZU&t=3s

The TvL also makes an appearance.

Thanks for the cool info on those models.
Last edited by politicalEconomist on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.