Fender Vintera line?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
chemattstry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Vintera line?

Post by chemattstry » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:13 am

601210 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:48 am
alexpigment wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 pm
mcbrandt wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:07 pm
Do the MIM jazzmasters come with good shielding in the cavities and decent electronics, or is it just the spray on conductive paint like the japanese or squier ones?
It’s black shielding paint. I can’t think of any Fender guitars that come with copper tape. Having said that, I think shielding paint is fine in practice. The electronics in MIMs are usually a little higher end than MIJ/Squier.
Do people really think shielding paint is worse than copper tape? I'd have thought it the other way around since copper tape can come unstuck, etc.
I’ve done both (on the same Jazzmaster build) and I honestly think the paint is better. The is tougher to install, requires soldering at the seams, and too easily lifted or messed up when working on the guitar.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:39 pm

played a 60's JM vintage modified not plugged in - the neck was big, baseball bat if you like.

The 60's style JM neck was smaller but still a bit larger than the AVRI necks.

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am

Regarding the Vintera Jag HH, if I'm reading Fender's page right the wheels on the upper horn are used to split or unsplit the pickups. Does it take a lot of scrolling like a standard tone or volume wheel or is it a shorter movement to quickly split the pickups? Curious how it works.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Beltone wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am
Regarding the Vintera Jag HH, if I'm reading Fender's page right the wheels on the upper horn are used to split or unsplit the pickups. Does it take a lot of scrolling like a standard tone or volume wheel or is it a shorter movement to quickly split the pickups? Curious how it works.
It doesn't quickly do it. It's still the full spin. The idea I'm guessing is you can dial in the degree of, um, splitness.
I think it was just Fender designers trying to figure out, "what else can we do with these things?" then not doing much else afterwards.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:20 pm

vistavision wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 pm
Beltone wrote:
It doesn't quickly do it. It's still the full spin. The idea I'm guessing is you can dial in the degree of, um, splitness.
I think it was just Fender designers trying to figure out, "what else can we do with these things?" then not doing much else afterwards.
That’s got to be up there with Norman Doors as one of the worst engineering decisions ever. Making on/off more complex.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:54 pm

People mod their guitars to do this, it's like opening your window a bit, a lot, all the way, or not at all.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:09 am

matthew a wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:20 pm
vistavision wrote:
Beltone wrote:
That’s got to be up there with Norman Doors as one of the worst engineering decisions ever. Making on/off more complex.
If I'm not entirely mistaken that's also how the CP HH Jaguars work and I never heard anyone complain about that.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:35 am

Oh wait, so it's not an on/off switch? That's ok then. Ignore me!

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 am

Ceylon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:09 am
If I'm not entirely mistaken that's also how the CP HH Jaguars work and I never heard anyone complain about that.
The Vintera Mod versions are just the Classic Player models rebranded with new colors. I don't remember any one kvetching about it, either.

Sidenote: That they did this model in Sonic Blue with a mint guard is killing me, btw. And I never wanted this model before. And I have a '96 MIJ Jagmaster so I have a Jag/HH thing already. That's what colors do. Ugh.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm

vistavision wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 am
Sidenote: That they did this model in Sonic Blue with a mint guard is killing me, btw. And I never wanted this model before. And I have a '96 MIJ Jagmaster so I have a Jag/HH thing already. That's what colors do. Ugh.
It does look pretty nice, but they're $1150 on Sweetwater... Weren't the Classic Player ones under $800?

Also how do you get along with your MIJ Jagmaster? I almost bought one in '97, then finally got a candy apple red one 2-3 years ago for about $400 in mint condition, but I really just couldn't get along with it. The neck was small, the frets were tiny, the nut width was narrow, and the electronics were all just very lackluster to me. For me, the Vintera Jag HH would be a very big step up from the Jagmaster.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:09 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm
vistavision wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 am
It does look pretty nice, but they're $1150 on Sweetwater... Weren't the Classic Player ones under $800?

Also how do you get along with your MIJ Jagmaster? I almost bought one in '97, then finally got a candy apple red one 2-3 years ago for about $400 in mint condition, but I really just couldn't get along with it. The neck was small, the frets were tiny, the nut width was narrow, and the electronics were all just very lackluster to me. For me, the Vintera Jag HH would be a very big step up from the Jagmaster.
The Classic Players came out in 2006 and as of 2012 even the CP Jag and CP JM MAPs were $799 and the CP Jag HH was $899. All that Classic series and CP series stuff stayed the same price for forever until the Pau Ferro bump a couple of years ago. That they released a rebranded version and bumped it is really no surprise.

As for the Vista Jagmaster the neck is a truss rod heel-adjust and a high Fujigen Gakki serial number but says CIJ so I presume a factory transition thing. The neck is one of those necks that make it easy for me to be creative. Chord progressions and riffs and stuff just fall out of it. Yes, pickups are meh so those will be getting switched out. I think I got lucky!

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm

vistavision wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:09 pm
The Classic Players came out in 2006 and as of 2012 even the CP Jag and CP JM MAPs were $799 and the CP Jag HH was $899. All that Classic series and CP series stuff stayed the same price for forever until the Pau Ferro bump a couple of years ago. That they released a rebranded version and bumped it is really no surprise.
OK, I was thinking of the standard Classic Player. I bought my JM for around $800 new back in '08, which at the time was about the most expensive MIM guitar available. Either way, the price increase is expected I suppose, considering the inflation over the past 10 years.
vistavision wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:09 pm
As for the Vista Jagmaster the neck is a truss rod heel-adjust and a high Fujigen Gakki serial number but says CIJ so I presume a factory transition thing. The neck is one of those necks that make it easy for me to be creative. Chord progressions and riffs and stuff just fall out of it. Yes, pickups are meh so those will be getting switched out. I think I got lucky!
Mine was a bullet truss model, so they very well could be very different in construction/feel. I would have replaced the electronics on it, but the neck was the dealbreaker for me. On the other hand, the chinese JMJM / Squier Deluxe necks are my favorite necks on a Fender so far, and I've owned a shocking/sad amount of Fenders over the years.

If I find a heel adjust Jagmaster at some point for a good price, I might give it a try based on your feedback.

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 pm

vistavision wrote:
Beltone wrote:
I have the 2012 CP Jaguar in OW with the coil split rollers. The rollers gradually split from single to humbucker and you can definitely hear the pickups get fuller. It's not like an on/off. Personally though, when dialling in a tone I either go for all the way left or all the way right. I don't blend that much except when I've got both pickups active. It does offer a huge array of subtle changes to the sound but sometimes I've thought it's a bit too many options.
The top switch is also a kill switch so I'm presuming the Vintera Jag HH models will be the same.

OAN I'm having bad thoughts about selling my CP Jag so I can get the Vintera 60s Jaguar in OT. I'd also love to get the IMB Jazzmaster but I told myself i'd only replace my Jag with another Jag so I'll have to save for that one.
GAS is cruel!
May the Fuzz be with you

Mervynskidmore
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mervynskidmore » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 am

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:17 am

Mervynskidmore wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 am
https://youtu.be/gDKv4NzVVTM
They finally put a Jaguar video up and it’s all cheesy 80s chorus tone the whole time.

Thanks for nothing, Fender.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.