Fender Vintera line?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Vintera line?

Post by Axolotl » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:32 am

In my time we knew how to behave respectfully in guitar forums. We didn't need to listen to no Tarpaint or Sonny Youth to know what's good.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 pm
:wtf: HEY I'M 40!!!
Damn kid.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am

I thought the video was nice. I was happy to hear a clean sound.

Buy a Firebird someday, and try and find some sound clips of what those sound like, and you will know what hell is.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:02 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am

Buy a Firebird someday, and try and find some sound clips of what those sound like, and you will know what hell is.
I concur, and I'm 55.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:53 am

Please forget that I said the video was boring because there’s also this:
https://youtu.be/33OXLkpp-1Y

Any video with too much chorus is better than this... the first minute tells me nothing about the guitar.
A few minutes in, he switches to some cleaner tones.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am

I had to buy a set of firebird pickups to find out what firebird pickups sound like.

There are classified secrets that are more easily obtainable on the internet than good firebird demos.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Fendereedo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fendereedo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 am

alexpigment wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:33 pm
Let's face it guys, we're probably all a bunch of dudes in our 30s. Everyone older is on the TDPRI, and everyone younger is too busy shredding at Guitar Center right now. ;D
I'm 53, and a confirmed dinosaur with varied tastes. I'm a lover of JM's and Jag's. I also like Tele's, but hate most of the country music associated with them. I've been a Sonic Youth fan since the 80s. I love punk, blues, some older classic rock. ;)
A confirmed old fart really! :w00t:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:56 am

Fendereedo wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 am
alexpigment wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:33 pm
Let's face it guys, we're probably all a bunch of dudes in our 30s. Everyone older is on the TDPRI, and everyone younger is too busy shredding at Guitar Center right now. ;D
I'm 53, and a confirmed dinosaur with varied tastes. I'm a lover of JM's and Jag's. I also like Tele's, but hate most of the country music associated with them. I've been a Sonic Youth fan since the 80s. I love punk, blues, some older classic rock. ;)
A confirmed old fart really! :w00t:
I much prefer the company of, shall we say, the more enlightened denizens of OSG to those of my cohort over at the Old Fart Bar & Grill (my wife is a harpy) forums.

Fendereedo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fendereedo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:56 am
Old Fart Bar & Grill (my wife is a harpy) forums.
:D :D :D

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:33 am

Sorry to warm up the discussion about dinosaurs (I'm 30 and my favorite dinosaur always was a Velociraptor, followed by the Ankylosaurus and the Triceratops,... what is your favorite dinosaur?).

But back to the guitars:
Has anyone yet (except Puisheen/Michael Adams) had their hands on one of the OTM Jaguar?
At first I was sad that only the Jazzmaster came out in IBM and I (recently found out that I) always wanted to have an IBM Matching Headstock Jaguar.
And also after modding two Jaguars to fit HB-sized pickups (they were Japanese Jaguar that were useless as they couldn't handle even small amounts of Fuzz and those SDs of the Squier VM, I guess I never have played the REAL pickups, except maybe in a music store once) - I found out that I want ONE Jaguar that I don't feel the need to mod at all (except reversibles like the pickguard and probably the bridge... but no drilling, routing, rearranging etc, hell not even soldering except maybe adding a treble-bleed or upgrading the knobs if they should be shitty) - and somehow that Ocean Turquoise is beginning to grow on me. Especially the headstock. :?
Has anyone played that thing and can say something about it? Also the photos differ so much on the internet - from green to blue and nothing is really consistent. I would love to see how the colour "changes" (for the better) if you'd put a Mint or Cream guard on it. (Tort works best on white, then black, then long nothing,..maybe Sunburst and then some others more exotic things like Oxblood)

Also with my recently acquired Classic 60s Jazzmaster neck - I'm no longer afraid of Pau Ferro - it has a way more beautiful grain and colour than all three of my Rosewood fingerboard offsets. (it was treated with lemon oil by the shop I bought it from though)

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:33 am

Has anyone yet (except Puisheen/Michael Adams) had their hands on one of the OTM Jaguar?

Has anyone played that thing and can say something about it? Also the photos differ so much on the internet - from green to blue and nothing is really consistent. I would love to see how the colour "changes" (for the better) if you'd put a Mint or Cream guard on it.
I've ordered not only an OTM Vintera Jaguar but also a cheapo cream guard to go along with it. Thomann doesn't have it in stock so I have no clue once it will get here, but when it does, expect pictures. And a review obviously, but probably one biased in favour of the guitar unless it's junk.

I'm kind of surprised they went with tort for these guitars in the first place. OK, the OTM maybe, maybe a dark brown tort might work. If there's enough green tones in the finish. But on the IBM Jazzmaster?

Nerding out about guitars have taught me a lot of things about aesthetics. Like that more busy is not always cooler, and what it means for something to pop, and with these kinda serene colours schemes I feel the tort kinda messes up the balance and flattens a finish that has a lot of depth in it's own right.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

seawalker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seawalker » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:44 am

601210 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:52 am
Yeesh.

I know this forum is full of old bitter people, but it's hardly supposed to be a demo. They got a young artist to play one of her songs and talk about how she feels about the guitar.

This might come as a surprise to the OSG OGs who've been playing surf tunes on offsets they bought new from the 60s, but a lot of the young adults going out and buying offsets now grew up listening to Johnny Marr or the Cure or something like that, and a lot of the kids are probably listening to bands like Warpaint or this lady.

The fact that Fender isn't catering to just dinosaurs is one of the many things that makes them not a shitshow like Gibson.
Yeah... this is an artist playing a particular one of her songs. That's what the song sounds like.

It's a commercial that Guitar Center produced for something Guitar Center sells. It's not an Anderton's video

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:32 am

Ceylon wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 am

I've ordered not only an OTM Vintera Jaguar but also a cheapo cream guard to go along with it. Thomann doesn't have it in stock so I have no clue once it will get here, but when it does, expect pictures. And a review obviously, but probably one biased in favour of the guitar unless it's junk.
That sounds like a plan! Thank you Ceylon!

I‘m just wondering, even if it may not yet be available in Europe... it should be in the US, alright?
I mean people are already selling their IBM JMs again (way too early imo - so not such a good sign, honestly) here on OSG as well as in german local ads.

And yes. Small nuances (cream/parchment/mint vs stark white or red vs brown tort vs Spitfire, yet even the knobs) can make a huge change in appearance. From boring to over the top you kind of have to find your personal sweet spot.
Personally I don‘t like green guitars (except Surf Green), especially no green bursts - and green with red is just to much christmas too me. So I really hope it‘s more of a blue-ish turquoise.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Now we are complaining when the tort is too good? :D haha ;)

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:17 pm

Futuron wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Now we are complaining when the tort is too good? :D haha ;)
I wouldn't say it's too good, although just from the pictures whatever tort they're using on the Vinteras does look... Pretty good? Not perfect by any stretch but not too red, not too dark, not too dull. A step in the right direction. I was just saying I subscribed wholeheartedly to tort going with everything for a while and I don't anymore.

Then again I think I remember from Puisheen's NGD thread he had these same thoughts and still decided to stick with the tort because it looked better in real life, so you never know.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers