NGD: Wildwood 10 Relic Ready Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Wildwood 10 Relic Ready Jazzmaster

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 am

Musjagjazz wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:56 pm
Would love to play a guitar with the RSD bridge and compare it to the Mastery and Staytrem bridges.
Staytrem has licensed to Fender the height adjustment screws and plastic bushings for the bridges on the Johnny Marr and Troy Van Leeuwen models:
On the standard bridge the height adjusting screws can vibrate loose during playing causing the bridge to drop down.
The height adjusting screws are larger than standard and have plastic bushings to prevent them from vibrating loose. Our design feature for this is also used on the Johnny Marr Jaguar and Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster.
http://www.staytrem.co.uk/jaguar-jazzmaster-bridge
Maybe a dumb question, but can Fender use the license of the plastic bushing adjustment set up for any of their Jag/JM bridges, not just on the Marr's and TVL's? But even if they can do contractually, they may not want to as this may mean they have to cough up a royalty for each such bridge when utilized, and that may be cost adverse for them to use in every single Jag/JM they sell.

But it would be great if they offered this design for sale with both 7.25" and 9.5" radiuses and this would solve most issues for most people. I guess the American Pro bridge is the closest thing, but it doesn't have the plastic bushings on the height adjustment screws...but a little blue locktite would solve that. The other tweaks that the Staytrem has (no springs, offset intonation screw) are not that crucial, at least in my opinion, and aren't necessary.

As far as the RSD bridges go, I suspect that the RSD bridges are too expensive to manufacture and offer on most of Fender's Jag/JM guitar line even if most liked them, it would drive the price up too much. They are a chunk and a half of pretty impressive machining if you ask me and can't be cheap to manufacture. But it would be cool if they offered it as an aftermarket item, even if expensive.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:00 am

Went to the coolest guitar shop in Pittsburgh recently, with a ton of custom shop instruments on easy display. Saw a relic Strat and was blown away by how good it looked, but what looked weird was that typical big worn in part on the forearm contour that people have overdone for a while now - it felt completely flush, like the finish was totally even and not chunky at all, like, it’s reliced underneath a bunch of clear coats. Is this normal? I don’t have a ton of experience with vintage fender guitars, but the ones I have played seem to kind of show their wear in a more tangible way, while the ones I saw were like, only displayed.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:00 am
Went to the coolest guitar shop in Pittsburgh recently, with a ton of custom shop instruments on easy display. Saw a relic Strat and was blown away by how good it looked, but what looked weird was that typical big worn in part on the forearm contour that people have overdone for a while now - it felt completely flush, like the finish was totally even and not chunky at all, like, it’s reliced underneath a bunch of clear coats. Is this normal? I don’t have a ton of experience with vintage fender guitars, but the ones I have played seem to kind of show their wear in a more tangible way, while the ones I saw were like, only displayed.
I think I totally get what you are saying. When I was looking for a CS JM on various websites I passed on quite a few because of overly aggressive relic-ing, especially the forearm contour wear. Some were just ridiculous in my opinion. I did like the Journeyman JM relic jobs, except for some of the more aggressive jobs that I saw on some, but a lot of the Wildwood spec JM's had relic jobs that were overly done. I would have preferred a Closet Classic type of relic job, with checking but not too many dings. At the end of the day I went for the "relic ready" with no relic-ing whatsoever but with the very thin nitro finish.

My Closet Classic is really nicely done, I wish I could have gotten my Shell Pink this way for sure. You can't really see the checked nitro very well at all but here's a picture of it.

macdog
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by macdog » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Heavens above, that is gorgeous!

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:44 am

macdog wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 pm
Heavens above, that is gorgeous!
Thank you kind sir. Found it for a great used price, got lucky. It had a jacked up stock bridge that someone had used lacquer on, or something, to set all the screws tight, so they were totally immovable.

I put in an original Johnny Marr bridge with the wide spacing and it was pretty much perfect, no buzz even with 10’s as the string had an ever so slight angle going into the low E and high E saddles coming from the tail piece...but I wanted narrow string spacing so I put in a Staytrem.

Well that’s when the Low E started buzzing from not enough break angle. So I shimmed it with a .5 deg stewmac shin and put flats on it. Thomastik 12’s then 10’s, no buzz whatsoever.

I have a love/hate relationship with flats however....so I’m tempted to go back and try
10-50’s round wounds on it at this point. Interestingly this JM with the .5deg shim gets a neck angle very similar to my non shimmed Wildwood 10 JM.

macdog
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by macdog » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Cool information, and well done. Enjoy that baby, you've made it your own.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:47 am

macdog wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:44 pm
Cool information, and well done. Enjoy that baby, you've made it your own.
Thank you!