NGD: Wildwood 10 Relic Ready Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Wildwood 10 Relic Ready Jazzmaster

Post by kgbAttack » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:39 am
I'd like to steal every single one of those bridges and melt them into a big ugly blob, then go use that blob to bash Fender's RSD bridge making machines to bits, melt those into the blob, and chain it to the designer's ankle and toss him in the bay for the sharks to eat.
Hahahaha - I love it. I like how it looks, I like that you don't need to worry about it. I have a Mastery, and a Staytrem. Each has pros and cons - but I like that I bought a CS instrument and did not have to even consider replacing the stock bridge :)

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:39 am

I know a lot of people hate the RSD bridge but I think it's great
YOU'RE WRONG!
Fair enough, different strokes for different folks and all that ;)
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am

mackerelmint wrote:
I'd like to steal every single one of those bridges and melt them into a big ugly blob, then go use that blob to bash Fender's RSD bridge making machines to bits, melt those into the blob, and chain it to the designer's ankle and toss him in the bay for the sharks to eat.
:fp: There is therapy for that you know :blush: ...and why be a totalitarian about it? :P ;D

I thought it looked odd at first too. But just by looking at it I was intrigued at what it promised functionally speaking. I think it is an amazing bridge now, having seen it's glorious abilities. And now...I even think it looks great.
You will be assimilated. ;D

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 am

kgbAttack wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Hahahaha - I love it. I like how it looks, I like that you don't need to worry about it. I have a Mastery, and a Staytrem. Each has pros and cons - but I like that I bought a CS instrument and did not have to even consider replacing the stock bridge :)
That's exactly how I feel about it.

I've played JM's with Mastery bridges, Staytrem, Mustang, stock, and now RSD. The RSD is the most solid, stable, buzz free and maintenance free bridge thus far. It's only shortcoming is that you can't easily change the radius, but it could be done if one really had to have it done.

I have a Staytrem on my other JM which I don't feel the need to change currently, but I would totally buy another RSD if they where available.

And now..I think RSD bridges are a thing of beauty.. brawny, misunderstood beauty :wtf: :w00t: ;D

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am

I don’t understand why they didn’t just start doing Staytrem for everything - like could have just bought the rights or something. The RD thing not being able to use the Mute or cover is annoying considering the fact that a lot of CS guitars are supposed to be replicas of older guitars.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 am

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am
mackerelmint wrote:
:fp: There is therapy for that you know :blush: ...and why be a totalitarian about it? :P ;D

I thought it looked odd at first too. But just by looking at it I was intrigued at what it promised functionally speaking. I think it is an amazing bridge now, having seen it's glorious abilities. And now...I even think it looks great.
Nah, I won't be. The designer will be though, by the sharks. :ph34r:
This is an excellent rectangle

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:14 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am
I don’t understand why they didn’t just start doing Staytrem for everything - like could have just bought the rights or something. The RD thing not being able to use the Mute or cover is annoying considering the fact that a lot of CS guitars are supposed to be replicas of older guitars.
As far as I can see, the CS models closest to vintage models do use the original bridge still. It’s the models the go further from vintage that do not. For example mine has 9.5” radius and medium jumbo frets (how I wanted it).

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 pm

And here I thought it was just on everything they did

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
I guess maybe they would rather come out with their own, possibly more solid, design without having to pay a licensing fee?

The American Pro Bridge is already another good enough option too though for the 9.5” radius, or am I mistaken? And for 7.25” radius you can get the Marr bridge.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:14 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 am
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am
mackerelmint wrote:

Nah, I won't be. The designer will be though, by the sharks. :ph34r:
But we that like them will cry on the inside if that happens :'( ;)

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
I guess maybe they would rather come out with their own, possibly more solid, design without having to pay a licensing fee?

The American Pro Bridge is already another good enough option too though for the 9.5” radius, or am I mistaken? And for 7.25” radius you can get the Marr bridge.
The main thing the Staytrem does is eliminate the spring-backed saddles, ditching them for the plastic insert thingies. The saddles are of higher quality as well, but that’s not as big of a deal I guess. It’s funny because the Staytrem guy’s version is a direct copy of what the Fender Mustang bridge is already. It’s just a slightly modded version.

I dunno, the RD bridge is... fine? It’s not nearly as offensive to me as some of the other shit they’ve done with all of us’s favorite guitars, and I’d like to hear more about WHY the people who hate them hate them, but it’s not like end of the world level bad.

Even the Staytrem can’t really hold a bridge cover, which is a shame because it looks so cool. Really wish he’d sold covers with the bridges, and same goes for the VI.

ChristheRat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChristheRat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:13 am

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:39 pm

I've been dreaming of one of these Wildwood 10's for a while now, and when I saw that these Relic Ready JM's have the RSD bridge and looked to have enough of an increased neck angle so that I wouldn't have to necessarily shim, and also replace the bridge most likely, and that they didn't look like something that someone dragged behind a tractor, I was GAS'ing hard. But don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with shimming, actually I think it is a given with many JM's if you want to improve the playability and sound. And now with the StewMac shims, it is sort of a no brainer. My other CS JM has a .5 deg shim in it from Stew Mac as we speak.

My other Jazzmaster is a CS 64 Closet Classic Reissue with a 7.25" radius which is a really cool guitar, but I really do prefer a flatter neck radius (9.5" to 12" would be perfect for me) and I figured that 10" would be perfect. It's also a real nice and full .86"/.98" C profile. Well, no doubt about it, I think I have found my perfect neck, for real.

Yes the maple neck! Well I have a partscaster Strat with a maple neck, and I've always wanted another maple neck guitar, as all of my others are mostly rosewood, with one ebony board, and why not a Jazzmaster with a maple neck I said to myself.

The pickups are Custom shop hand wound Jazzmaster pickups. I am not sure what the specs are but they are superb sounding. Good clarity, chime, and punchy twang! It may be that RSD bridge, as well as the pickups, but this Jazzmaster is a tonal beast, it's got it all sonically speaking. Very loud acoustic resonance as well. Nice weight at 7.93 lbs too.

Is this Jazzmaster too bright with that maple neck you may ask. Well, first of all I'm not convinced that a maple board is noticeably brighter than rosewood. My experience tells me that this is not generally the case. I think electronics and hardware factor much more into it. My CS 64 Closet Classic, with a rosewood board, is about the same in the brightness department. I play both with the volume at 7-8 and tone at 6-7. Maayyybe, the Wildwood 10 is a tad brighter...I may put the tone at 6.5 instead of 7...but it is such a subtle difference. The Relic Ready does seem to have a bit more attack and snappiness, but that could also be due to the bridge, or even the way I've set it up with a straighter neck relief and do to the fatter, stiffer neck . Anyway, it sounds glorious, I'm totally honeymooning in tonal nirvana.

I am also very pleased with the RSD bridge. Absolutely no rattles or buzzes come, or will ever come I don't think, from this bridge. It is built like a damn tank and rock solid. It does float, but on first impressions, not nearly as much as the more traditional JM bridges. I suspect that it is responsible for a tad more sustain and punchy twang in the tone. The guitar still chimes brilliantly, it is still a Jazzmaster after all.
Aesthetically, I was put off initially, some time ago, when I first saw these RSD bridges. However I think it looks fine now, as it grew on me. In any case I think the CS ought to sell these things as they are so well made, without any pieces that may rattle.

Lastly, I can't say enough good things about Bruce Beard at Wildwood Guitars. He gave me a super price on the guitar, so good, I couldn't pass it up. I was interested in 3 JM's, two Relic Readies and a Journeyman, and Bruce get Greg Koch to do a shootout video between the 3 which they sent to me. How cool was that! Actually, Greg also ended up playing this guitar for a long time on the last Wildwood live broadcast on Fakebook if you are interested in hearing it, and seeing it totally manhandled by the Mansquatch himself (he starts off with a Strat then goes to the JM for the rest). I could link it if anyone is interested.

Well, I thought I would share the story, keep feelin' groovy y'all!
What’s relic ready mean? Looks amazing
Things are more like they are now, then they ever have been.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Would love to play a guitar with the RSD bridge and compare it to the Mastery and Staytrem bridges.
Staytrem has licensed to Fender the height adjustment screws and plastic bushings for the bridges on the Johnny Marr and Troy Van Leeuwen models:
On the standard bridge the height adjusting screws can vibrate loose during playing causing the bridge to drop down.
The height adjusting screws are larger than standard and have plastic bushings to prevent them from vibrating loose. Our design feature for this is also used on the Johnny Marr Jaguar and Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster.
http://www.staytrem.co.uk/jaguar-jazzmaster-bridge

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:

The main thing the Staytrem does is eliminate the spring-backed saddles, ditching them for the plastic insert thingies. The saddles are of higher quality as well, but that’s not as big of a deal I guess. It’s funny because the Staytrem guy’s version is a direct copy of what the Fender Mustang bridge is already. It’s just a slightly modded version.

I dunno, the RD bridge is... fine? It’s not nearly as offensive to me as some of the other shit they’ve done with all of us’s favorite guitars, and I’d like to hear more about WHY the people who hate them hate them, but it’s not like end of the world level bad.

Even the Staytrem can’t really hold a bridge cover, which is a shame because it looks so cool. Really wish he’d sold covers with the bridges, and same goes for the VI.
The only thing about those plastic washers instead of the spring is, I mangled one a bit, don't ask how :whistle: :blush:, and it lost contact with the back of the bridge too much which loosened the saddle assembly a bit which made that particular saddle assembly on that string rattle. The washer would then not want to seat against the back plate again, at least not easily. I finally managed to get it in there snug again and there saddle (the Low E) seems secure again..I think.
But ironically I was thinking of just putting a spring in there to get the saddle tight again.
My advice with Staytrem is to not mess with those little plastic washers at all because if they get loose, then you've got potential issues.

I really think that most people hate on the RSD bridge because of its non hipster approved looks, it's a fashion thing, and possibly because it is not available for them to try. It seems like those that actually have used these bridges, myself included, like them very much. I couldn't care less what others think of it, bottomline, it is working really well, better than all of the others I've tried, which is all of them, and I don't even notice it's looks anymore, if anything I like its muscular and bold appearance now ;D My other bridge of choice is Staytrem and I'm lucky to have two of them, but don't defile those little plastic washers!

Have you tried the Marr Bridges (basically a staytrem without the plastic saddle retainer washers and intonation screws that are not offset) or the American Pro JM bridges, which seem to basically be Mustang bridges with narrow string spacing? But yeah possibly the saddle material is different from Staytrem, but for what it's worth, when I was using a bridge with Mustang saddles on a JM, I didn't notice any tonal issues at all compared to Staytrem.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 am

What’s relic ready mean? Looks amazing
It means it has a very thin nitro finish that is supposed to be easily susceptible to natural finish distress as one is using it, so you "relic" it yourself with normal use.

You know, the type of finish that got easily damaged in the old days, prompting complaints from customers and pushing companies to go to more durable and thicker polyurethane finishes :whistle: :wtf: ;D