NGD Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster, Ocean Turquoise Rosewood

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
rze99
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster, Ocean Turquoise Rosewood

Post by rze99 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:45 am

Oh man, what a beauty! I've been saving some funds for a parts build Jazzmaster over the last few months. To be frank, I was really struggling about parts and specs because... I've never owned one before! I don't know why, but I suppose mainly lack of exposure.

I decided not to build. I don't really know or "get" the electronics and I didn't fancy hours of dicking about getting it wrong. So I decided to buy.

Quite a few over-priced Japanese and AVRIs caught my attention over a number of months but were not quite right. The spec I wanted narrowed me down to a new American Original as the closest - I wanted the modern radius and bigger frets but otherwise vintage specs. TBH I had settled for an aged Firemist Silver (ooh) but that would have meant CS prices which are just silly.

I've had some detailed automated searches trying to find me a used one but none ever came up.
Then this one came up - a shop floor demonstrator. Mint! Unmarked. With all case goodies, etc. It was about £250 less than new price of the most discounted on-line shops.

I KNOW from pricing up I cannot build a close-to equivalent guitar for less this, especially not including the hard shell case so, what the heck, I just can't lose!

I have to say I set my expectations a little low to be on the safe side, but I just wasn't quite prepared for it's sheer beauty as an object. It is just glorious to look at. Will you look at that colour and the bound, very dark, rosewood fretboard - it is just poetry! I've got a lightly aged mint green guard ready for a change sometime but, really, I love the way it looks now.

The quality of the rosewood is also superb. I couldn't have specified a nice piece. Smooth, very dark with nice chestnut hints in the daylight.

And then I played it (as supplied from the shop).

All was mostly fine as set up by the shop, except for that... bridge. What a piece of crap! Rattle, buzz, rattle....

and the intonation was well off - the A and E were seriously sharp despite extreme settings. Anyone else have this?

Also, the sheer quantity of behind-the-nut and behind the bridge harmonics coming through the amp ... It was like a bloody off-key orchestra!

So I fiddled with the bridge for a couple of hours and more. The intonation saddles just wouldn't go back far enough on the low A and E to intonate.

So I -

1) ripped out the the A and E saddle springs to allow enough room to get the intonation right. Result: intonation perfect. But, even worse rattle, rattle.

2) I cut small pieces of dark grey packing foam and I stuffed them very tightly into the intonation saddle gaps. Result: No rattles! (Pictured)

3) I cut a strip of the same packing foam to put directly behind the bridge to suppress the behind the bridge notes. Result: No orchestra of harmonics! (not pictured). I will just put this in place wen I play (like my Ric and Gretsch guitars).

4) I put a tiny piece of sellotape and stuffed it very close to the G string post. Result: stopped the G behind the nut ringing

With that all done, I then spend hours playing through my DRRI at breakup, with a Carbon Copy pedal, a little Wampler Ego Comp and a little amp trem engaged.

Wonderful! What a great Fender sound. The bridge pickup is great for Stratty stuff. With the tone pot rolled back to about 7 it's got a great sounds. Smoother than a Strat, not as bitey as Tele. A softer twangy, meaty, warm attack. It's its own thing swinging there. It's easy to play, action is low, no fret choking and no tuning issues. I've been reading about the various strings that people play , but the 10-46 on it already seem OK.

I barely notice the slightly longer scale. The bound neck is smooth with no pull or fret roughness, the trem is just amazing (a genuine Leo triumph). It stays perfectly in tune. The trem action is so smooth and sweet, little touches here and there with delay and reverb are a delight. I prefer it to a Bigsby and I finally "get" the JM Tele hybrid. It's about 8 pound and balances perfectly. Feels lighter on the strap.

Pics (it looks a little bluer in these than in person

jam007
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster, Ocean Turquoise Rosewood

Post by jam007 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:39 am

Congrats! I used to own a OTM AVRI Jag and in my opinion its one of the greatest colors to ever come out.
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."
General S. Patton Commander 3rd U.S Army

Matt_A
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Matt_A » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:52 am

great post, thank you for sharing your good fortune. That is gorgeous, especially that neck.

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:17 am

So beautiful!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 am

Congrats. These are great guitars.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:29 am

Good score. These are amazing.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:43 am

HNGD! Great colour to boot!

Enjoy!
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

chemattstry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chemattstry » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:51 am

OTM is my new favorite color. I’m drooling here!

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 am

Congrats again! Great color choice, great JM ;D
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:39 am

nice Jazzmaster!
The trick with the foam to avoid rattles is worth trying; there's this one bridge I have that keeps on rattling, despite the usual setup precautions.
You don't let the saddles rest on this foam, do you? (resonance) A thing I'd have to be cautious of is the material not touching the strings, cause this would do away the behind the bridge harmonics.
A Jazzmaster doesn't have a 'slightly longer scale' btw; it's the same as a strat and a tele.
Have fun with your guitar!

rklem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rklem » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Congrats, and thanks for sharing! Just beautiful!

I'm about to order a JM AO 60s too and I'm torn between Ocean Turquoise and Olympic White. You said yours looks a little less blue than on your photos. In Fender's online shop it looks way greener. Would you say Fenders picture is a true representation of the true color – or in other words: is the turquoise more on the blue or the green side?

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Sweet. Love the bound fretboard. Complements the white knobs well.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Congrats man! I have the same model and it’s my favorite Jazzmaster I’ve ever owned...and I’ve owned over a dozen through the years!

I did not have the bridge issues you had. In fact this was the best JM Bridge I’ve ever had. No rattle, very solid. I did swap it with a Staytrem though because I like to be able to adjust the height with the Allen key rather than taking the whole bridge out to do it.

Also, I like your pickguard more than mine. Mines too speckled, yours looks more brown/red. Enjoy that beauty!

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:48 pm

rklem wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm
Congrats, and thanks for sharing! Just beautiful!

I'm about to order a JM AO 60s too and I'm torn between Ocean Turquoise and Olympic White. You said yours looks a little less blue than on your photos. In Fender's online shop it looks way greener. Would you say Fenders picture is a true representation of the true color – or in other words: is the turquoise more on the blue or the green side?

Mine looks more like Fenders stock photo. This color always photographs more blue for some reason. my photos often times look more like Lake Placid Blue but in real life it’s very green.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm
I did swap it with a Staytrem though because I like to be able to adjust the height with the Allen key rather than taking the whole bridge out to do it.
Wait, what? Doesn't the standard AO bridge allow overall height adjustment through a hex-headed grub screw on each end the same as every other Fender offset bridge?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.