Opinions about Jazzmaster player series

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Opinions about Jazzmaster player series

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:42 pm

buscon wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:44 am
Esthetically I would like to cover the HH with a metal cover, does someone know how I can do that?
Oh and yes!
There are luthier supplies like https://www.rockinger.com/index.php/de/ ... en/l-WG111 and surely many more who sell open and closed pickup frames/covers. You should be able to cover them if you like the pickups in it - or exchange them with anything you want! :)

SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SonicC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:24 pm

They play good and sound good but I just dislike the way they look.

buscon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by buscon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:57 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Oh and yes!
There are luthier supplies like https://www.rockinger.com/index.php/de/ ... en/l-WG111 and surely many more who sell open and closed pickup frames/covers. You should be able to cover them if you like the pickups in it - or exchange them with anything you want! :)
Thanks for the information, I will consider that!

andtrea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andtrea » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am

buscon wrote:
Esthetically I would like to cover the HH with a metal cover, does someone know how I can do that?
Oh and yes!
Did someone try to apply standard metal humbucker cover with this player series? Did they fit or you have to cut the pickguard?
I can't stand uncovered hb, I want a Jazzblaster :D

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:54 am

I picked up a 1st gen Player Standard body this spring, it was partially loaded, with the tailpiece, bridge, pickguard and controls, but no pickups. I bolted on a Squier J Mascis neck that I had laying around, which turns out that they're identical in spec, and I dropped in a set of "Duncan Designed" Jazz and JB pickups. My intention was to flip it, as I generally don't like humbucker pickups and I like split coils even less. I'm shocked at how much I like this guitar- I don't know if it's the shielding effect from the covers or perhaps a somewhat lower output, but the guitar has an unexpected clarity in the neck that somehow splits the difference between the traditional Jazzmaster sound and is chimey and clear, unlike other humbucker equipped guitars I've played. I even like the sound of the split coils; as was mentioned earlier, they're definitely more strat sounding than anything else, but they're pleasant enough, just the same. I'll definitely hang onto this guitar for a while.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 am

andtrea wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am
buscon wrote:
Oh and yes!
Did someone try to apply standard metal humbucker cover with this player series? Did they fit or you have to cut the pickguard?
I can't stand uncovered hb, I want a Jazzblaster :D
You have to cut the pickguard. I just put covered-humbucker-sized pickups in my Player JM and ended up ordering a new guard. Also I had the Player guard that had the Fender-only 3 pickup mount screws holes per pickup. 2 mounts on top, one below. I was able to jettison that with the new guard, too.
Cutting pickguards myself never works out well. I will happily pay for it to be done for me!

I ordered one from these folks. Very good guards. Took about 2 weeks. Message them what you want.
https://reverb.com/item/33694719-replac ... any-colors
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

andtrea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andtrea » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Thanks for the info.
I'm ok with my JM but sometimes I wish I had an alternative like a Jaguar HH or a "Jazzblaster" with a 9,5 radius.