NGD - 94/95 MIJ Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
DAKnox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD - 94/95 MIJ Jaguar

Post by DAKnox » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:35 am

New to offsets - always been a Tele player, but absolutely loving my new Jaguar. Maybe it's the short scale but it's so fun to play such a comfortable body shape too.

So the guitar came with a buzz stop - which I removed. I put 11s on it and I think it seems fine without. It has a Mustang bridge on it although the seller gave me the original too. I tried both and much preferred the Mustang - a although not for the usual reasons - more because I can feel the tops of the height adjustment screws on my hand (no such screws on the Mustang). The high e doesnt sit perfectly over the pole piece and neither does the b, but less so ( and so on) on the bridge pickup - neck is perfect. But tbh I think the original bridge was similar. It doesn't seem to effect the sound. Nothing to worry about?

Seller told me he had put custom shop pickups in it, but I'd have no idea of checking tbh. Sounds great to me either way.

He gave me the original tort guard, it's a darker tort, not the red one you sometimes see. He had installed a white one which I much prefer the look of. Doesn't seem to be a perfect fit but very close - the chrome of the lower switches sits above the pickguard on one side but below on the other! Hardly noticeable from a distance. And it's not cut totally perfectly around the neck pocket, again really have to look for it. If I could pick up a perfect fitting guard I would - any ideas?

I think that's all to say. Oh, except for - I used to try and keep my guitars perfect and regret every ding. But this comes with many, and it's actually refreshing. Already dinged up a bit? Cool I don't need to worry. So I think it's helped me get over a pointless OCD of keeping my guitars perfect.

Anyway, photos:-

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - 94/95 MIJ Jaguar

Post by Danley » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:53 am

Cool - FYI that is not a stock bridge, it’s an adjustable Mustang bridge. :) Also - need to check my MIJ but pretty sure the stock pickguard has the same fitment ‘issue,’ apparently the MIJ pickguard model was somewhat shrunken.

Also - some Jaguars/Jazzmasters come with bridges with shorter grub screws that don’t touch your hand, if you’re ready to take the next step into ‘there’s no problem with the stock bridge’ land :D
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Judging from the brown tort guard and vintage white body, I'd guess your guitar is actually a 2007-2010, rather than a 1994-95. See here to confirm:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=93512

94-95 Jags came with a red tort, and the white was Olympic.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 am

This was my 90s Jag

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:56 pm

^
Must be a 90s Jag after '96, right? They didn't start the brown tort until the shift to CIJ.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Oops, mine was 94-95 best I could make out from the neck stamp. Thought I’d offer it up for comparison.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:56 pm

Did yours have red tort? It's hard to tell from your picture due to the dark lighting.

The tort in the OP is the CIJ/later MIJ brown one.

I had a 94-95 Jag too, but a previous owner swapped out the original red guard for a later brown one (it looked a lot better that way).

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:42 am

Yeah, that’s a red Tort. The white seemed to have yellowed a lot, it looks fairly similar to the OP?

I’ll try and upload some more photos, but still can’t find anywhere that gives you actual url easily to repost here after I deleted my fb account.