Good Jazzmaster for modding?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Good Jazzmaster for modding?

Post by SonicC » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:38 am

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and am looking for my second offset guitar (currently I have a squier VM jaguar with staytrem bridge) I’m a big sonic youth fan and think a jazzmaster is the way to go but I already have 2 single coil guitars so I’m after someone with humbuckers. I tried a player jazzmaster the other day - it played and sounded good but just doesn’t look like a proper jazzmaster. I’m thinking of either getting a Fender Vintera jazzmaster in Olympic white OR a Squier J Mascis jazzmaster and maybe changing the pickguard for a tort one. I would probably put a set of WRHB in it either from Mojo Pickups or The Creamery. Is it worth the extra money for a Vintera for the matching headstock and 7.25 radius? (I prefer 7.25 but I can use 9.5 no problem)

SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Good Jazzmaster for modding?

Post by SonicC » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:43 am

Sorry, just realised this should probably be in the modding bit.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:33 am

PMing you now

jesterpunk68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jesterpunk68 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:10 am

If you want to put WRHB in a jazzmaster and want it more like Lee Ranaldo's jazzmaster the players series might be the best bet. They are already routed for humbuckers and dont have the extra controls.

I would get this color

Because of this jazzmaster Lee has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPxgC35bTpQ

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 am

Keep in mind that the Player series pickguard is cut for coverless humbuckers. If you want to put in covered humbuckers you’ll need to enlarge the openings and square off the corners or get a new pickguard.

The older HH Jazzmaster uses rings.

SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SonicC » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 am

The player ones are nice but I think it’d need a tort guard and covered pickups, although the stock ones are alright. I’m not sure about the colours they come in though although I think Lee Ranaldo’s jazzmaster looks more Olympic white than cream and that’s why I’m looking at the Vintera. I wish they made them in the red colour like the one in my profile.

jesterpunk68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jesterpunk68 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 am

SonicC wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 am
The player ones are nice but I think it’d need a tort guard and covered pickups, although the stock ones are alright. I’m not sure about the colours they come in though although I think Lee Ranaldo’s jazzmaster looks more Olympic white than cream and that’s why I’m looking at the Vintera. I wish they made them in the red colour like the one in my profile.
You can replace the pick guard and would have to do that anyway if you are adding WRHBs to a guitar, the only reason I suggested players series is because it is already routed for humbuckers and the extra little bit of routing would be cheaper and easier then routing a jazzmaster pickup route for a humbucker

SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SonicC » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 am

jesterpunk68 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 am
SonicC wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 am
You can replace the pick guard and would have to do that anyway if you are adding WRHBs to a guitar, the only reason I suggested players series is because it is already routed for humbuckers and the extra little bit of routing would be cheaper and easier then routing a jazzmaster pickup route for a humbucker

I was thinking on pickups that are like WRHBs but will fit in a jazzmaster without modification and getting the JMJM and changing the pickguard, essentially making the cheaper guitar better for what I want.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 am

If you're only comparing between the Vintera and the JMJM, I don't think your biggest concern should be the matching headstock and radius. To me, a more pertinent comparison would be the bridge, the vibrato spacing, and the difference in quality.

Honestly, it just depends on what price range you're looking at. Is the Vintera a better guitar than the JMJM? Probably? To some people there isn't much difference, to some people it's night and day. Is it worth the increase in price? Only you can say.

SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SonicC » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am

601210 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 am
If you're only comparing between the Vintera and the JMJM, I don't think your biggest concern should be the matching headstock and radius. To me, a more pertinent comparison would be the bridge, the vibrato spacing, and the difference in quality.

Honestly, it just depends on what price range you're looking at. Is the Vintera a better guitar than the JMJM? Probably? To some people there isn't much difference, to some people it's night and day. Is it worth the increase in price? Only you can say.
Think I’ll just have to try them both to see what one feels better although I think the Vintera would look better (I’m not a fan of the Pau Ferro though) The Satin neck on the JMJM might be better than the Poly one on the Vintera.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:15 pm

I don’t have a picture upped anywhere but the White/tort Jazzblaster Lee often used is like the exact shade of the J. Mascis Jazzmaster

SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SonicC » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 am

I think I’m going to go with the JMJM cause I’d rather not buy a guitar of the Vintera’s price only to mod it. If I get a new pickguard for it will I need to put copper foil on it? The guitar will have humbuckers that should “buck” the hum. If I really want a matching headstock I’m sure it could be done by a professional.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:24 am

SonicC wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 am
I think I’m going to go with the JMJM cause I’d rather not buy a guitar of the Vintera’s price only to mod it. If I get a new pickguard for it will I need to put copper foil on it? The guitar will have humbuckers that should “buck” the hum. If I really want a matching headstock I’m sure it could be done by a professional.
I think it’s a perfect plan and a good choice .
Try to find a used one with a rosewood fretboard , they are awesome .
I totally mod mine and it’s almost like a Jazzblaster ( the pickups are the hybrid Q pickups , Jazzmaster bobbins with Steel Slugs like a humbucker and 2 bars of alnico 5 under the pickups like a P90 and they sound awesome , Full and clear at the same time ) .
The JMJM is a perfect guitar to mod and the neck is awesome . I put a blue anodized pickguard on mine , new pots ,capacitors , jack and wiring , AVRI trem , Staytrem bridge and Gotoh Sd91 MGT tuners .
I couldn’t be happier with it .
But even stock, it was a great guitar .

min7b5
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by min7b5 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:44 pm

SonicC wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am
601210 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 am

Think I’ll just have to try them both to see what one feels better although I think the Vintera would look better (I’m not a fan of the Pau Ferro though) The Satin neck on the JMJM might be better than the Poly one on the Vintera.
Have a pic of the blue pickgaurd? That sounds awesome.

SonicC
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SonicC » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:47 pm

pikmin wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:24 am
SonicC wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 am
I think it’s a perfect plan and a good choice .
Try to find a used one with a rosewood fretboard , they are awesome .
I totally mod mine and it’s almost like a Jazzblaster ( the pickups are the hybrid Q pickups , Jazzmaster bobbins with Steel Slugs like a humbucker and 2 bars of alnico 5 under the pickups like a P90 and they sound awesome , Full and clear at the same time ) .
The JMJM is a perfect guitar to mod and the neck is awesome . I put a blue anodized pickguard on mine , new pots ,capacitors , jack and wiring , AVRI trem , Staytrem bridge and Gotoh Sd91 MGT tuners .
I couldn’t be happier with it .
But even stock, it was a great guitar .
A white guitar with a blue pickguard makes me think of Thurston Moore’s mustang/duo-sonic with the three pickups. Sounds cool though!