Problem Getting Good Overdriven Tone From Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Problem Getting Good Overdriven Tone From Jazzmaster

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:02 am

Ice Tre wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 pm
redchapterjubilee wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 am
Try rolling the tone back on your guitar. That helps.
I agree-- for the bridge pickup. Take the tone knob down to 5.
But understand it will never sound fat like a Les Paul. That's just not what a Jazzmaster does.
Pulling the tone back back to 7 really helps. It's not just that it takes aways the highs but it shifts the EQ curve and helps to pull some of the "clackiness" of the attack out as well as the icepick highs. You can adjust for that elsewhere down your chain so you don't have to constantly move your knobs around if you are (like me) a player who changes pickup selection mid-song you can make those changes with your feet. But for recording I find pulling the tone back a bit or even the volume almost essential for me to get good recorded overdriven bridge tones if I'm using one of the JM's with real JM style pickups. That's not necessary for P90 or humbucking JM pickups.

mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mkt3000 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 pm

The best overdriven tone I've had with my Jazzies has been tone at 8, Vox AC15 with bright cap mod and NOS RCA 12AX7s, through a Made my Mike Klone.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:25 am

I put a Hudson Broadcast on my board -- still using the Crowther Hotcake -- but the Broadcast gives a really transparent tone with as much hair on it as you want. It's a great piece of kit, if a bit on the expensive end.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:21 am

Got a 1981 Inventions DRV and it is THE overdrive/distortion for me. Does everything I need and is super easy to dial in a perfect sound.

Low gain is a ultra harmonic, smooth overdrive. Crank the DRV knob up past 12:00 and you get into RAT territory but no RAT pedal I’ve ever owned sounded nearly this good.

I know this pedal has its critics but man, this is the sound I’ve been looking for. To me it’s worth every bit of the $250. Excellent overdrive & distortion, super quick easy to dial in, harmonically rich, quality hand built unit, records amazingly well DI into interface (which most drives fail at) and as a bonus looks amazing on my board. 100% satisfied customer.