Which Fender Offset as my first guitar?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

Which Fender Offset for my first and one and only electric guitar?

Fender Mustang
12%
Fender American Performer Mustang
6%
Fender American Professional Jaguar
33%
Something else
21%
Telecaster
25%
Stratocaster
4%

Total votes: 52

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Which Fender Offset as my first guitar?

Post by Maggieo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:12 pm

ThatGuyOverThere wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Ha... I see you’ve emigrated over here from TGP... I’ll just go ahead and vote for the same option. That Ocean Turquoise Vintera Jaguar is one of the coolest guitars Fender has put out in years. Get into it.
That's a guitar I want. It'd be a good offset choice, but remember, Jags do their one thing really well, but aren't for everyone.

I think a great all-around first electric would be the 60s Vintera Tele:

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Whether you get the Jaguar or a Tele, you can add a 4-way switch to get pickups in series. It's my first mod on a Tele I'll play regularly. The switch can be found with some shopping for $11. Then find a buddy who can solder and you've got it just like the Johnny Marr signature guitar or the Baja Tele but for a lot less cash. It's also something you can plan to get later too, doesn't have to be right upon receipt, just know it's an option.

Dont' forget to look into the Player Series (MIM) as well as those Vintera's.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:32 am

I was the guy on TGP that first suggested he come here. :ph34r:

Please don't listen to any suggestions about custom mods and all that crap until you buy and play a guitar for MONTHS. Let your playing and sonic needs dictate that sort of thing, not the advice of all us internet strangers.

I voted the same thing: American Professional Jaguar...basically because I like Jaguars, and I've never been able to bond with Telecasters (I can do Strats all day).

Liking bands and wanting similar sounds is a time-honored tradition, but I suggest figuring out a way to make your own sounds that sorta sound like bands you like but remain yours. No need to get the exact same gear.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:54 am

If I could have one and only one electric guitar, it'd be a 70's Telecaster Custom. Something magical about that single coil in the bridge and the WRHB in the neck. Super versatile, nothing you can't do with that format.

If I could have one and only one offset, it'd be a early-mid 60's spec Jazzmaster. Middle position tone is magical for cleans, has the tremolo, ergonomics are fantastic. If you're not a pedal guy, the lack of sustain can hold it back from being a "desert island" guitar, but it does 80-90% of what the Tele Custom can do, as well as some unique things the Tele cannot.

figgypudding18
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by figgypudding18 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:32 am
I was the guy on TGP that first suggested he come here. :ph34r:

Please don't listen to any suggestions about custom mods and all that crap until you buy and play a guitar for MONTHS. Let your playing and sonic needs dictate that sort of thing, not the advice of all us internet strangers.

I voted the same thing: American Professional Jaguar...basically because I like Jaguars, and I've never been able to bond with Telecasters (I can do Strats all day).

Liking bands and wanting similar sounds is a time-honored tradition, but I suggest figuring out a way to make your own sounds that sorta sound like bands you like but remain yours. No need to get the exact same gear.
Thanks again for the referral...and I am in total agreement that I don't need to copy artists I like! Just included that bit for some general background info on my tastes