Buying a Jazzmaster, a real journey it’s been.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Buying a Jazzmaster, a real journey it’s been.

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:26 am

Hi, first post on this. I started the process of trying and reading about new Jazzmasters in April this year. I’d narrowed it down to either a Classic Vibe in Sonic Blue, a 60s Lacquer in Surf Green or a Vintera Modified in Surf Green. I had a Japanese reissue version that I’ve now sold, didn’t like the pick ups at all so thought I’d go back to the drawing board.
Cut a long story shorter, I was set on the CV, but after trying the Vintera Mod for ages I went for that. First one I got had to be replaced(cosmetic issues, tremolo issues), second one was great initially but then got noisier and noisier and noisier. After some back and forth with the place I bought it, they couldn’t get me another Vintera Mod so I decided to either return it or exchange it after a few months. I tried an ex-demo American Performer, didn’t like it, it’s a Strat basically. They couldn’t get me a 60s Lacquer as it had been discontinued, so only had the TVL signature model or American Original in Sunburst or Olympic White. I hadn’t planned on spending so much, but after trying the AO I was pretty impressed, so went for that in sunburst. I’d read on here and elsewhere about bridge issues, but I’ve not had any problems so far(only had it since Saturday). I got 11s fitted before I even tried it. I’ve tried Jazzmasters with SD Antiquity 1 and 2s but always thought Pure Vintage ‘65s sounded marginally better, hence me wanting the 60s Lacquer when the Vintera Mod didn’t work out. The neck gets a little sticky on my AO, but as it’s nitro I guess that’ll fade? Also, wanting to lower the action a bit but the in shop tech said to give it a couple of weeks and see how I feel. Has anyone else found the action pretty high on out the box AO’s? The tremolo, which I use constantly will take a bit getting used to too, the angle it sits at is away from the strings, and I’d prefer it to be loose, meaning it would fall away when not in use, but I don’t want it to be able to fall out. This is the first pop in trem I’ve used. The in store tech said again wait and see if I can get used to it, but maybe bending it would be an idea? Any way for it to be locked into the collet, but still sit loose?
Anyway, has anyone had or has the Vintera Mod, what’s your thoughts on it? It’s a totally different sounding guitar to the AO, I realise that now, not necessarily worse either in my opinion. The build quality of the wiring/pick ups or something isn’t good enough though. Disappointing.
Any other general info/tips on the AO would be appreciated too! The pick ups are sensational, not nearly as trebly as the Vintera Mod which I found surprising as most folk have said that’s a problem with PV ‘65s, but not at all to my ear- so rounded and smooth across all pick up selections. So getting my trem unit suited to me and the action sorted are my only issues so far. Great site and forum, helped me sift through all the options so much!

zenarcade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buying a Jazzmaster, a real journey it’s been.

Post by zenarcade » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:31 am

Getting low action should not be a problem with the AO. I don't remember the action being really high on mine when I got it. But i bought it used. I still tinkered a bit with the trussrod, but i like really low action. The trem arm issue is pretty common. If you search the forum there should be a a lot of modding suggestions (cable ties over the arm collet). Or this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUVd3pvTPA
I changed the trem arm/collet for a staytrem though. I am really happy with my AO. It is a much better guitar than the Thinskin 62 Reissue i had before (maybe mine was only a dog).

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:21 am

Ah thanks for getting back to me man. Was beginning to think this forum was maybe too cliquey for randoms to start posting on.
I bent the trem arm a little and it’s now perfect man! The action, I’ll take it back into the store tech and get it lowered a bit, also having slight tuning issues with mainly the G and B strings so it might need a wee adjustment here and there.
It’s easily, by a country mile, the best Jazzmaster I’ve ever played man. As I say, it’s only a week old so small adjustments and I won’t be looking back. After all the problems I had with the Vintera Mod, that’s a relief!
I’ll probably change to a Staytrem bridge in the future, or I’d read the American Professional mustang style bridge is 9.5 radius so might go for that. I’m pretty keen to keep it stock as much as possible though, have it how it was intended.

Anyway, thanks man!

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:21 am

You can't go wrong with the top-end Jazzmasters, I think - the Trem alone is fantastic. I agree with you about the pickups - I've got a JMJM with PV65s in it and an AV65 and, while the Mascis can be very biting, the AV65 is really smooth and rich. Maybe it the accumulation of small details that makes the difference? I also found the action pretty high on the AV65 and tried lowering it myself but the G,B and high E were deadened by it. I changed it back but really wish it would play as well as my other guitars. I don't want to blow fifty quid on a set up in Denmark St, but I think I'll have to...

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:58 am

Aye, I couldn’t agree more about the higher end Jazzmasters man. With the Mascis JM, you’d probably have to upgrade the wiring, pots, etc to really get it sounding right with the PV65’s-as you say, an accumulation of everything brings it together. The trem unit on this AO is definitely not getting changed man, again as you say, the USA spec units are sensational. The Vintera Mod trem was also great to be fair, but more fun, less serious if you know what I mean haha.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:34 am

I set my action to be very low on all my guitars, my Jazzmaster is no exception. The setup on Jazzmasters is a little different than other guitars, but the end result will be the same.

You have a quality instrument that will serve you well forever... congratulations. You'll get it all dialed in.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.