AO Jazzmaster Finish

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

AO Jazzmaster Finish

Post by tune_link » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:04 pm

So I bought an AO Jazzmaster back at the beginning of this year and have pretty much treated it very carefully from day one. I love the guitar, I knew what I was getting into buying a guitar with a nitro finish too. Im down with the finish wearing and checking etc. I noticed the first place today on the tail end of it where the finish wore through to wood. It’s small. Not super concerned. I’m mainly wondering if the finish is really thin. Has anyone else experienced wear on theirs yet? I wasn’t expecting it to happen this soon. I had it on a not great stand but had wrapped all the stand’s parts with soft cotton cloth. I’m mainly worried I need to get a better stand and that this one managed to contribute to the wear even though I put a buffer between it and the guitar.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AO Jazzmaster Finish

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:33 am

It just depends, but i’d say the stand was the culprit. A cloth isn’t completely impermeable. Best to leave them in the case or get a quality stand made out of non irritating materials. I don’t know of any, because I don’t have an nitro guitars at the moment except for an acoustic which stays in its case

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:21 am

A cloth isn't much protection if it's a hard stand. There's a reason nobody would buy guitar stands made of wood or metal with a cloth on top...

I have a Hero guitar stand whose only weight-bearing points are by the headstock, and it has a small pad behind the guitar to keep it from getting knocked back into the metal stand. I also had some of their wall-mounted holders that functioned similarly. They claim to be nitro-safe and I never noticed a problem. What they are, is extremely well-padded and well-designed. I'd go for something like that if you like to keep your guitar on a stand.

Personally though, I moved away from using stands and just keep guitars in their cases where they are the safest.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:02 am

Thanks for the input y'all!! Sounds like my nitro guitars are all going to be living in their cases from here on out. I don't particularly love stands myself but I've only owned poly guitars up until this year but I have two nitro Jazzmasters now and they've both been sitting on these stands - which stops today.

Mongoloid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mongoloid » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 am

tune_link wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:02 am
Thanks for the input y'all!! Sounds like my nitro guitars are all going to be living in their cases from here on out. I don't particularly love stands myself but I've only owned poly guitars up until this year but I have two nitro Jazzmasters now and they've both been sitting on these stands - which stops today.
My 60th anni’s nitro finish is getting wrecked from the case itself, since fender can’t seem to supply a snug fitting case. Which I previously reference in that particular thread.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:10 am

Mongoloid wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 am
tune_link wrote:
My 60th anni’s nitro finish is getting wrecked from the case itself, since fender can’t seem to supply a snug fitting case. Which I previously reference in that particular thread.
You wouldn't want a too snug fitting case (unless it's form fit in foam maybe) as the case is there to protect the guitar. If it's too snug; any and every blow to the case will be directly transferred to the guitar.
You wouldn't want it to be too loose either; as the guitar will bounce around in the case and get damaged. It's a fine line.

I haven't had any issues with my JM Jag case in any sense.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Mongoloid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mongoloid » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:10 am
Mongoloid wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 am
tune_link wrote:
You wouldn't want a too snug fitting case (unless it's form fit in foam maybe) as the case is there to protect the guitar. If it's too snug; any and every blow to the case will be directly transferred to the guitar.
You wouldn't want it to be too loose either; as the guitar will bounce around in the case and get damaged. It's a fine line.

I haven't had any issues with my JM Jag case in any sense.
It’s just that the guitar moves around so much in the neck slot of the case that the sharp edges beneath the fabric are cutting into the neck of the guitar. I literally cannot lift the case on its side without the guitar making an audible “thud” inside its case, and smashing against that sharp edge.

I have a really expensive hard shell case with a strat copy I purchased that has a strap that Velcro’s the neck in place. If this case had something of that sort it would be ok.