Player Series Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
goldenrory
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Player Series Jaguar

Post by goldenrory » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:25 am

volhoo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:58 pm
I know they are expensive - but a Mastery bridge and Tremolo are well worth the cost - my Jazzmaster is now unbelievably wonderful.

-
Agree! but here in my hometown that´s a rare and VERY expensive piece. (I have to import it and the taxes are vicious)

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:04 am

This might be an unpopular opinion, but in general I feel like the Mastery stuff isn't worth it. Maybe it's because of the music I play, or maybe I've just gotten used to the shortcomings of Fender offsets, but it doesn't make enough of a difference to me to be worth the very hefty premium.

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:35 am

hi All,

late addition to the posts above but i as it relates to player series Jag i thought it best to use an existing thread:

I replaced the bridge with a stock Mustang and the rattling grub screw issue was solved but though the radius is 9.5" (i was told) i would agree that it doesn't fit as neatly as the stock player bridge which of course can adjust each saddle height.

i had 11's on at the time but switched down to 10's to try Rick Beato's theory on lighter gauge strings and after no further rattling issues i left it at that and all was fine

recently i was cleaning up the guitar - fretboard oil, strings etc and absentmindedly tightened the vibrato adjustment screw (saw it a little loose when not under tension, didn't think just tightened!) and on stringing up again the rattlling was back big time! - just appeared not enough tension on the saddles and i've had a hell of a time since balancing vibrato screw tension up and down to try get rid of it (still with 10's) and it appears ok as long as the bridge is tilted away from neck - there isn't lots of wiggle room for the bridge but balanced in the middle just wasn't working.

question i have is, in my short experience: - is the tremolo/vibrato unit meant to make that much of a difference (hassle!) to bridge pressure (btw player series has no trem lock) and was it just chance not have discovered this sooner? Are 11' strings or larger the real solution and is this the case with all jaguar models be it CIJ, MIM, Squier and AM?

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:19 am

I use 11s on all my offsets in general. It makes a really big difference to me on the Jags in particular as I will still sometimes use 10s on a JM but never on a Jag. I've had/have MIM, CIJ, and American Jags and that holds true for me across all three. The trem can make a difference depending. I've upgraded to American or Mastery trems on all my offsets (FWIW the Am ones are generally cheaper - around $60 - $100 depending vs $200 or possibly lower for a used Mastery and I find them just as good as the Mastery). The American trems definitely feel more substantial all around and none of them have ever had issues with rattling/etc or things like you're describing with the Player trem. Two of the MIM offsets I've had came with the cheaper non locking Fender trems and in one case I definitely feel like it contributed to string tension issues. I eventually replaced both the trem and bridge on that guitar but just doing the trem first was a huge improvement.

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:13 am

tune_link wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:19 am
I use 11s on all my offsets in general. It makes a really big difference to me on the Jags in particular as I will still sometimes use 10s on a JM but never on a Jag. I've had/have MIM, CIJ, and American Jags and that holds true for me across all three. The trem can make a difference depending. I've upgraded to American or Mastery trems on all my offsets (FWIW the Am ones are generally cheaper - around $60 - $100 depending vs $200 or possibly lower for a used Mastery and I find them just as good as the Mastery). The American trems definitely feel more substantial all around and none of them have ever had issues with rattling/etc or things like you're describing with the Player trem. Two of the MIM offsets I've had came with the cheaper non locking Fender trems and in one case I definitely feel like it contributed to string tension issues. I eventually replaced both the trem and bridge on that guitar but just doing the trem first was a huge improvement.
thanks for the detailed reply! I suppose my quick cheap fix is to move back to 11's (bloody thing came with 9's!) but this may not be full "solution". Medium/long term now i've got to balance whether or not to put more money into upgrading parts on this guitar such as the trem - but bit disappointed that it would "need" it as i thought that while at Fender "entry level" it would not have stretched to include standard bridge/trem parts. The tuners seem fine and no issues with any wiring of pickups or pots. Replacing Stock pickups is obviously a different upgrade and more about what sound you want...

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 am

Can you tell exactly where the rattle is coming from? Is it the Trem or the Bridge? Did you change the Bridge?

The Mustang Bridge is a very well made Bridge. Inexpensive. Works perfect, even with .009's.

You can spend more but the Mustang Bridge is an excellent solution if it's a Bridge problem. About $20.00 USA... I did it on mine & it plays perfect. I don't notice any issues with Strings & the Neck.....

If it's adjustment problems you may need a good Luthier/Tech to do a top notch a Set Up....

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:33 am

Larsongs wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 am
Can you tell exactly where the rattle is coming from? Is it the Trem or the Bridge? Did you change the Bridge?

The Mustang Bridge is a very well made Bridge. Inexpensive. Works perfect, even with .009's.

You can spend more but the Mustang Bridge is an excellent solution if it's a Bridge problem. About $20.00 USA... I did it on mine & it plays perfect. I don't notice any issues with Strings & the Neck.....

If it's adjustment problems you may need a good Luthier/Tech to do a top notch a Set Up....
the rattle appears to be the bridge particularly treble string side) - and yes it's the Fender USA Mustang bridge that worked perfectly until i tightened the trem adjustment screw (when strings were off). neck is fine and action too but I totally agree on the Tech set up which fixes thing you didn't even know about! - it's just i was happy out with set up until i went fiddling at that adjustment screw... :fp: :unsure:

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:34 am

hi just an update for what it's worth - i actually went and replaced the tremolo unit with an American Vintage Tremolo. i certainly think this is an improvement - the unit is more solid, it has the lock function and frankly i find it way more usable. I'm working at the moment to balance the lock function for the on-off setting as per some info on this forum but with the mustang bridge i think i've a better set up and rattle sorted. i also added vintage tuners and AM vintage volume and tone knobs which i think look great!