How to pronounce PAU FERRO..?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

how to pronounce PAU in 'pau ferro'

POE
1%
POW
75%
PAW
10%
PA'U
8%
P'WIRE
5%
other/don't know
No votes

Total votes: 73

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How to pronounce PAU FERRO..?

Post by Danley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 am

aliendawg wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 am
In Brazilian Portuguese "R" is pronounced with a tongue roll most of the times. But "RR" most definitely sounds like an H, as if you're sighing. I'd say the "rr" sound is very similar to the sound of "wh" in the word "Whore"
I understand some east coast US English speakers differentiate the written ‘wh’ sound when it’s used in words like ‘whip,’ (but I’m not really sure how, and it seems less than subtle when people try to demonstrate it to me, and I have no clue how to make that sound myself - it’s just pronounced straight-up ‘w’ in Midwest/west coast English, ‘wip.’)

On the other hand, I don’t think any US English speakers (or west coast anyway) would pronounce the ‘wh’ in ‘whore’ different than the ‘h’ in ‘hear.’ ‘Whore’ and ‘hoar’ have the same pronunciation to me.

Further, that’s a pretty difficult sound for an English speaker to make after any vowel - particularly the ‘e’ sound. Few words have the ‘h’ sound in the middle, and usually when we see it it’s a foreign word our tongues trip all over. It nearly caused physical pain for me to try, and typically English speakers would try to blunt that sound by replacing with a ‘y’ sound (imagine an American with a bad accent pronouncing the German ‘sehen’ as ‘saiyan’) or a pause beforehand.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:01 am

Oh for sure!! And I never realized how many other English words have a somewhat similar sound to the one in "Ferro". That's interesting
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:45 am

Danley wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 am
aliendawg wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 am
In Brazilian Portuguese "R" is pronounced with a tongue roll most of the times. But "RR" most definitely sounds like an H, as if you're sighing. I'd say the "rr" sound is very similar to the sound of "wh" in the word "Whore"
I understand some east coast US English speakers differentiate the written ‘wh’ sound when it’s used in words like ‘whip,’ (but I’m not really sure how, and it seems less than subtle when people try to demonstrate it to me, and I have no clue how to make that sound myself - it’s just pronounced straight-up ‘w’ in Midwest/west coast English, ‘wip.’)
Around here, many people would pronounce 'whip' more like 'hhwhip,' but it's often quite subtle...interestingly enough, words beginning with a plain 'w' can also get the drawn out h treatment and end up sounding more like 'hhwater.'

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 am

I tend to pronounce the H in "whip". I also pronounce "whore" as HOOR, because that's the only way to say it.
This is an excellent rectangle

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:45 am

They should have just called them "Ironwood Fretboards" (way cooler) and avoided all this mispronunciation mess.