For those that have tried them ...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

For those that have tried them ...

Post by Don B » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Can someone compare the American Professional, the 60s Vintera and the Troy van Leeuwen Jazzmasters? How do they differ? Which do you prefer? The cosmetics are obvious but how do the other features add up for you?

Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: For those that have tried them ...

Post by Don B » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Has no one compared them? Seriously?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Won't be many people who have tried two let alone all three. ;) Main difference probably the pickups ...

Am Pro - VMods, with non-vintage wiring (no rhythm circuit). 9.5" radius. Mustang style bridge.
Vintera - "REVOICED 60s JAZZMASTER PICKUPS. We revoiced the pickups to be more 60s-accurate. They’re full of the warm, rich tone that made Fender instruments famous." 7.25 radius. Vintage bridge.
TVL - 0094012000 / 0094013000 as also in the AV65 JM, most likely the same as Pure Vintage 65s. 7.25 radius. Mustang style bridge.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 pm

i’ll add that unless they have been set up by someone that knows how to set up a jm, post-shipping to shops, a/b ing them is fairly useless. i work at a shop myself and while i have tried all of these, the setups on the vintera and am pro were pretty awful and not really indicative of what a nice jm can be. the tvl and vintera are fairly similar, the am pro is a little further outside the traditional box. would also recommend trying out one of the rosewood neck jazzys.

it’s kinda up to what you prefer... these are all fairly different instruments. any specific questions, i’d be happy to answer.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 pm

one more thought. the tvl is basically the vintera + american vintage 65 pickups/rosewood fretboard, so if the aesthetics are all the same to you, i’d say the vintera + your choice of pickups is a bit of a better deal.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

audiopablo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by audiopablo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:27 pm

when I had a TVL, it had a bound neck. I found the neck too skinny for me compared to my 60s JM, and though the pickups were the same, it was darker in tone for sure. I have no experience with that vinterra, but put me in the camp of preferring a thin finish (either nitro or thin poly) whenever I can get it. I don't think any of those three feature that, but my TVL felt like it was coated in cement.

I've played the Am Pro JM and found the neck very similar to my Am Pro tele and Am Pro Jag: narrow tall frets and comfortable, but wider and shallower neck. The Am Pro neck is way different that any fender with vintage frets and 7.25 radius (the TVL). But honestly, I had to get used to the narrow tall frets. If I had to pick something, I think I'd go back to the TVL. It's strange: I feel like I can play better on the Am Pro necks, but they are never comfortable like butter in my hands. But then again, I'm definitely no hot potato.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 pm

I've had a TVL as well as the predecessors of the two other models you mentioned (the CP JM, and the AmSpec JM), so I can at least comment on those.

Regarding audiopablo's finding of the TVL sounding darker, I agree, but it's also because it comes with a 500k volume pot as stock. The vintage spec bound neck is a particular type of feel, which I like, but if you're a "rolled fingerboard" guy, or reach over the top of the neck to fret with your thumb sometimes, bound guitars are definitely less comfortable for those maneuvers. It did have a rather thing and fast neck which is my preference. And, the finish is thick, but I actually kinda like that - feels durable, but if you're a "thin skin nitro" person it's definitely the opposite of that feeling.

The CP, predecessor of the Vintera, was a nice "middle ground" feeling neck. Not as small and curvy as a vintage spec one but not as foreign feeling (to a player of vintage necks) as the AmSpec, which, as was mentioned about the AmPro, felt wide and flat with tall frets. Both the CP and AmSpec had thinner and more satiny-feeling necks than the TVL and had more rounded, wooden fingerboard edges.

I'm very flexible when it comes to neck specs and liked all three, but they're definitely on a spectrum where the TVL was smaller and curvier and the AmSpec was wider and flatter with big frets.

If you're picky about neck profiles, radius, frets, etc, there's truly no substitute for trying them yourself as they are all quite different.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.