Jaguar/Jazzmaster ATOM bridge defect.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Jimir
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar/Jazzmaster ATOM bridge defect.

Post by Jimir » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:10 am

Hi guys
A number of months ago I bought my first offset, a Vintera Modified Jazzmaster. In a previous post I mentioned the problems I encountered with the Adjustomatic bridge on this guitar as in loose saddles and a rattling circlip. This problem was encountered on the initial Jazzmaster bought, a replacement bridge sent by Fender and then the new guitar that replaced the original Jazzmaster (Mastery Bridge was eventually fitted.)

Recently I had the opportunity to buy a secondhand Classic Player Special Jaguar in virtually mint condition for a very good price. When I viewed the guitar I noticed that it had the exact same ATOM bridge as originally fitted to Jazzmaster so I was careful to check that it didn’t have the same problems. It didn’t appear to however the saddles had never been adjusted for intonation and where in a straight line near the front of the bridge.

When I got the chance to set the guitar up and properly adjust the intonation I was very careful and made sure the string on the saddle was loose and away from the saddle when I adjusted it however as soon as the saddle on the B was moved backwards guess what, the exact same problem appeared as in loose saddle and rattling circlip. (I inserted a small piece of foam on either side of the saddle screw to stop the clip rattling and will probably fit another Mastery in the near future.)

This makes a total of four identical ATOM bridges where this defect has appeared. It’s caused by a thin, weak poorly manufactured circlip and on each occasion the problem has occurred on the B or G string saddle.

If you are thinking of buying any Fender offset with the ATOM bridge check the bridge thoroughly,
after four bridges I think I can confidently say that this is a manufacturing defect.
(The part code on the bottom of the bridge was the same on all four bridges.)

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar/Jazzmaster ATOM bridge defect.

Post by timtam » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:55 am

The CP jag and Vintera 60s modified JM do indeed appear to have the same AOM bridge. They have different Fender part numbers (0076230049 , 007623000) but Riley says those two numbers are the same part (Korean part number LPB-002 underneath) ..
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-cl ... 076230049/

A drop of blue Loctite on the circlip might be the best fix.
Timtam (noun): Iconic Australian multi-layered chocolate biscuit.