Need help with possible sale to fund purchase of JM...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
bogginhead
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Need help with possible sale to fund purchase of JM...

Post by bogginhead » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:40 pm

I've been trying to find an MIJ or CIJ Jazzmaster for forever now. A few months ago, I got tired of waiting on one I could afford and ended up with a 2001 Toronado Deluxe (CAR) in excellent condition; It's a guitar I'd wanted as much as a JM for the most part since I was a teenager and I love it so far. Zero complaints period. But this morning I saw an MIJ 1989-1990 JM for sale on eBay, and I ended up winning the thing at $660 + shipping. It looks amazing, and of course I'd love to own it. There's just one issue: it doesn't have a serial number anywhere on it. From what the seller told me and what I could find online, models from the early 90's had the "Made In Japan" + serial on the lower heel of the neck; there's nothing like that on this guitar. He said that over the years, he'd consulted with various experts and they'd concluded that the guitar was authentic and original as well as saying that they'd told him that it was pretty common for MIJ from those years to have their serial numbers removed...which I thought was kinda strange, jtbh. Anyways, if you guys were in my position how would you go about this? I'll need to sell the Deluxe if I do go for the JM, but I do not want to end up with a fake Jazzmaster. At all; I've waited too long and the Toronado is worth to much to me sound-wise to lose for something fake.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Need help with possible sale to fund purchase of JM...

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:28 pm

If we’re honest, even the most authentic MIJ Fender guitar is a “fake.”

I haven’t played a ton of them or anything but on all the ones I did they all UNIVERSALLY had the heel serial and it’s not really something you can just take off of the thing like you could with a decal on a US Jazzmaster, as it’s applied prior to/underneath of the clear coat.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Also if you’d post some pics I’m sure tons of other posters could offer More help. maybe seller is confused on what it is and maybe it’s an AVRI? No joke, this happened to me so it could happen to anyone. Few other things - is the logo black? Is the lock button on the trem brushed/Matte feeling and concave or is it flat and as shiny as any of the chrome that’s otherwise on the guitar?

Definitely would be easier with some pictures.

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:38 am

He's right. If you chuck up some photos, there's a good chance you'll quickly get a fairly definitive answer on here.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:17 am

bogginhead wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:40 pm
They'd told him that it was pretty common for MIJ from those years to have their serial numbers removed
Nope.

I'd be walking away from that one. But they're a dime a dozen where I am.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:03 am

Some photos would help folks to provide the best advice.

That said, based on what you wrote, if being confident your guitar is an authentic MIJ or CIJ is important to you, then I think you're unlikely to be sure in this case. Though if you're willing to risk that it may well be a parts-master, but could still look/play/sound great, then you might be satisfied with it.

I hope this is helpful.

~del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 pm

bogginhead wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:40 pm
I've been trying to find an MIJ or CIJ Jazzmaster for forever now. ... but I do not want to end up with a fake Jazzmaster. At all...
Avoid the MIJs. There were too many production variations/versions that few are well enough versed to sort the real from the fakes. Meanwhile, the prices of MIJs on the market make them very attractive to fake. If you have infinite funds then it's a game to play. But if you're a player with limits I'd suggest aiming more for Fender MIM models. Then you only have to fear the stray Squier part and those are much easier to spot as well as more forum members know which is which.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:34 pm

If this is the auction you purchased the guitar from, then I can help:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-MIJ-1989 ... 7675.l2557

Nearly everything I can see there looks authentic for a late 80s MIJ Jazzmaster. Neck has the proper black side dots. Correct decal. Neck plate is correct (with "Fender" imprinted). Tremolo is correct. Pickup switch is correct (with the distinctive round nut). Pickup covers are yellowed as would be expected. Olympic White was one of the few standard factory colors at the time. The pick guard may be a later replacement, though I have seen some from the 80s that look kind of like that.

The lack of a serial number at the neck heel is a problem, however. They don't just fall off. Someone scratched it off. It may have been a stolen guitar originally (though this theft may have occurred a long time ago). Or, it may be a later JM neck (perhaps a CIJ from post-96) and the owner didn't want the buyer(s) to know it was a partscaster. It is definitely a Japanese neck, though.

For the price you paid I'd say you got a really good deal.