Traditional Jazz/Jag bridge for a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mondonegro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Traditional Jazz/Jag bridge for a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster

Post by mondonegro » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 pm

I have a TVL Jazzmaster. Great guitar. I use D'Addario XL Chromes flatwounds 10-49. I've had the guitar for a couple of years, but recently been playing it quite a bit for gigs (prior to COVID-19). The issue of the high e-string being too close to the edge of the fretboard didn't bother me too much, but since I've been playing out a lot more, it's becoming more of an issue for me. To be honest, I prefer a traditional jazz/jag bridge. I have a Japanese Jaguar with a traditional bridge and never had any issues with it. So while looking for a jazz/jag bridge, I ran across two different ones:

005-4460-000 Genuine Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster Guitar Bridge Assembly & Thimbles
(https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/index ... tar+Bridge)
and
SB-0210-010 Chrome Bridge Threaded Saddles Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster
(https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/index ... tar+Bridge)

My question is which one of these is a direct, drop in replacement for the TVL jazzmaster?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Last edited by mondonegro on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Traditional Jazz/Jag bridge for a Tron Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster

Post by Ceylon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:48 pm

The first, more expensive one, is touted as a replacement for the American Vintage series of guitars, and if I had any reason to suspect the fit of the two units were different, I'd say that was the one you should go for. I don't, though, as post spacing should be identical for both and the legs are going to be thing enough to rock in the thimbles whichever one you end up taking. The more expensive is probably going to be a nicer piece of kit made from nicer metal, but even then it's not certain you could tell a difference in feel.

If you play regularly and have a nice guitar, I'd still get the more expensive one in this case, just so I wouldn't ever have to think about how much nicer than the cheap one that one could have been.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

OutToDrift
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Traditional Jazz/Jag bridge for a Tron Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster

Post by OutToDrift » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:16 am

You said you've had your TVL for a couple of years. I think they've since updated the bridge with the current Johnny Marr bridge as both guitars had issues with the E strings being too close to the fretboard. My TVL came with the same updated Johnny Marr bridge they started including on the 2018 models. If you're not dead-set on getting the classic Jazzmaster bridge, find yourself a new Marr bridge.

mondonegro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Traditional Jazz/Jag bridge for a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster

Post by mondonegro » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks. I'll look into the Johnny Marr bridge, since it's direct replacement. That high e-string is driving me nuts. Especially when I'm playing past the 12th fret.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:28 am

The second-generation Marr bridge with the narrower ~52mm E-E spacing is part number 7712971000.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

mondonegro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mondonegro » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks. I'm have a hard time finding a vendor that carries this bridge. Darren Riley seems to carry the bridge, it's out of stock. Do you or anyone knows if the TVL can accommodate an AVRI Jazz/Jag bridge? I have no problem using a traditional Jazz/Jag bridge, but I need to know it will fit before I order one. Thanks in advance for your response.