Johnny Marr Jaguar - Preferred String Gauge?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Jaguar - Preferred String Gauge?

Post by sam » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Does anyone have a specific set of 11s they’re loving? I know Johnny recommends the Ernie Ball Power Slinkies but I’m fairly open to trying some other options next string change.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Jaguar - Preferred String Gauge?

Post by JVG » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:54 pm

sam wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:51 pm
Does anyone have a specific set of 11s they’re loving? I know Johnny recommends the Ernie Ball Power Slinkies but I’m fairly open to trying some other options next string change.
The brand is less important. What matters more is string construction, i.e. materials, wrap style, core geometry, gauge

For example (wound strings):
Materials: nickel plated, pure nickel, stainless steel, monel, gold plated, etc...
Wrap style: round wound, roller wound, groundwound, flatwound
Core Geometry: hex core, round core, thick core, thin core

All these things significantly affect the sound of the wound strings, whereas you are likely to notice negligible difference between different brands of the same construction type.

For unwound strings there are obvious less variables to play with - basically only the metal composition and gauge - and the differences are much less pronounced.

As a starting point (sticking with roundwound strings), if you want a brighter string, try stainless steel wrap. If you want a mellower sound, try pure nickel or monel.

Experimenting with string types is heaps of fun. :)

Cheers
J.