Bass VI options on the cheap?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bass VI options on the cheap?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 am

Hey all,
So I need a new bass, but hands are small, cramps are real, and that 34" Warwick gives the former the latter just by looking at it wrong. I was originally considering a Mustang bass (CV or Player PJ, both go for $400ish on the reg), but after (barely) setting up my Ormsby in octave-down Drop D with a set of VI strings, I'm really considering just going with one of those instead because having the chord options and the more guitary playability would work great for my music -- sometimes I want more traditional-sounding bass parts, but a lot of the time it's doing chordal, arpeggiated, or melody work contrasting the guitar.
  • I know there's the Squier VI -- I've heard extremely mixed things about the hardware and pickups, but the real killer is that they're all 9+ lbs and I'd ideally like something that I can conceivably play live. My current Hand-Cramps McGee bass is a bit under that, and it would definitely be uncomfortable if it were less well-balanced.
  • Thomman has the Harley Benton Guitarbass, but the pickups sound crummy (which is fair enough, I have a set of Duncans I can toss in) and I haven't heard much review-wise because people don't get these much. They're also perpetually out-of-stock on the website because enough people buy them that they sell out, but not enough that they make more.
  • Gear4Music has their HB-equivalent SubZero Rogue VI Baritone, which is basically a HH hardtail Jazzmaster with a 30" scale length -- a bit more my speed for something tuned that low, to be honest -- and they say they're gonna get these in late October. Same issue as the HB though, basically no reviews.
So other than this, what are the options out there? Gretsch has the Electromatic Baritone at 30ish", around $500, but also no reviews and I haven't historically been a fan of the Gretsch feel playability-wise; Eastwood is both out-of-price-range and a bit too weird for me for their VIs, and other models I've tried have been resoundingly mediocre-feeling; Ibanez has the SRC6 which looks great but also $800 and I can never find one to try out. I'd honestly just assemble my own, but only Warmoth does necks that I can find with their :-X headstock and basically no options for the body that appeal to me. Anybody have any options for something that would fit the bill here, either for a production guitar or somebody that does parts I could use for my own build?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bass VI options on the cheap?

Post by Zork » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:20 am

Pit Bull Guitars sells a variety of 30" necks for about 40$. Dunno about the quality, though...

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:21 pm

I have one of those Pitbull necks. All maple 30" scale 6-string. It's of decent quality. With some work it'll be perfectly serviceable.

The thing is that it's not a conversion neck. Meaning it will necessitate a bridge move if used on an existing typical guitar. I think it's actually the same dimensions as a Bass VI neck. It's the same scale length with the same number of frets, anyway.

You could find yourself a chambered Jazzmaster body with no bridge holes drilled and make a Bass VI-ish thing yourself. Although I think the stock JM vibrato location is very tight for a 30" neck.

**EDIT

I took some pics with the 30" Pitbull neck laid over my stock Jazzmaster and while the bridge would be extremely tight with the vibrato, it looks like it could just work. Notice in these pics that the rear of my stock bridge is 1/2" farther back than the high E, so assuming a similar situation with a 30" scale, the rear of the bridge would be at 30.5". Then again, Bazz VI's generally need a bit more intonation room so maybe the bridge would overlap the vibrato plate after all. Hmmm.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:09 pm

Horsefeather wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:21 pm
*snip*
Thanks for the info Horsefeather!
If I go for one of these I'd probably get an unrouted Jag or Mustang body and do either a Mustang trem or a chopped Tele bridge for space reasons. 2xP90 in a Jazz Bass-style setup would be pretty sweet, or a single blade P pickup. Wish it had 22 frets but what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is the neck any good quality-wise though? Like, I don't wanna get one if it's not gonna be at least decent, or if I'm gonna have to spend more money fixing it up than I spent on it to begin with -- I've fallen into that trap before and my wallet is still displeased with me.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:33 am

The neck is decent. The contours and dimensions seem fine. It fits a Fender neck pocket snug. The wood will need finish sanding and some of the fret ends sit proud and they're all in need of dressing but that's pretty basic stuff.

I would be hesitant to use a Mustang vibrato on one of these, given the tension involved. I assume it's higher than a normal guitar (but maybe not..) so those post pivots would be cause for concern.

Actually, this seems like the perfect application for the Mustang/Jazzmaster hybrid I made for my Mustang! Mustang dimensions with JM action.

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 am

danelectro "baritone" is a great option. they are bass vi being marketed as baritones. slap some bass vi strings on and set it up. they are hands down my favourite bass vi option.
also the strings i would recommend for the dano are the ernie ball 2837. i hate ernie ball strings but for some reason that string/guitar combo is magical. plus they are pretty much the cheapest bass vi strings you can find.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:03 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:21 pm
:w00t:

Finally, I see someone else using those cool white amp knobs on their guitar. I thought I was a freak. I think they look awesome, and for the stuff I enjoy/play (early-mid 60's instrumentals and first-wave surf, it's a nice nod to the knobs on those blonde Fender amps of the early 60's). Thematically, it works. So happy to see someone else using them on a guitar.

Okay, back to your regularly-scheduled topic...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 am

A slightly outside-the-box option to consider is an Ibanez Mikro bass. Hear me out.

I own both a Bass VI and a Mikro. Even though the Mikro is even shorter at 28.6" scale, it plays much more like a bass than the VI, largely because the wider string spacing enables you to use thicker strings and a more traditional bass technique. They also make a 5-string, which you could string E-B and have most of the chord options of a Bass VI, but with a more traditional bass tone and technique when you want it.

Also, my Mikro is an absolute ergonomic dream to play. I have another short scale bass (Chowny SWB), and between the Mikro, VI, and Chowny, the Mikro is by far the lightest, puts the neck in the easiest-to-reach place, has the easiest fretting, but feels like a proper bass on the right hand.

It's an absolute brain teaser that the whole instrument feels smaller than a lot of guitars to hold, but puts out a more authoritative tone than my VI and lets me use normal bass right hand technique. The body is shorter and narrower than something like a Jazzmaster, so it's lighter and feels smaller even though it's much longer scale.

They're also really cheap. If you find a used one, they're really cheap. Like $180 USD new and down from there. The stock pickups are surprisingly decent but their price point also invites modding. I converted my 4-string into a narrower-spaced 5 string via a new bridge and nut, but would have just bought a 5-string one if I was doing it over.

Every guitarist and bassist that I have ever handed my Mikro over to has said something to the effect of "oh my god I love this." It's just so effortless and fun to play but still very unmistakeable as a "proper" bass.

Just something to consider. Polyphonic bass playing is my jam and I've used everything from this Mikro to my 35" 6-string capoed and tuned E-E. My Squier Bass VI is a great instrument too, I've got nothing against the VI. Just wanted to put a different idea out there.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:51 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:33 am
The neck is decent. The contours and dimensions seem fine. It fits a Fender neck pocket snug. The wood will need finish sanding and some of the fret ends sit proud and they're all in need of dressing but that's pretty basic stuff.

I would be hesitant to use a Mustang vibrato on one of these, given the tension involved. I assume it's higher than a normal guitar (but maybe not..) so those post pivots would be cause for concern.
Okay that sounds pretty decent for $40.

I don't think the Mustang trem would be an issue because on my Ormsby I actually get less string tension with a 24-95 VI set in bass Drop D vs. my usual 11-58 set in regular Drop D (same set on my Mustang is fine, if anything less tension would be nice to have the cigar a bit higher). It's not that much higher because it's tuned so much lower, despite the heavier strings.
Actually, this seems like the perfect application for the Mustang/Jazzmaster hybrid I made for my Mustang! Mustang dimensions with JM action.

I keep seeing this thing and I love it! I don't have a ton of tools though (basically hand tools, and old dremel, and a cheap drill) so the Mustang trem would be the easiest one to work with (if I go with a trem - a hardtail is honestly much more likely).
niksureal wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 am
danelectro "baritone" is a great option. they are bass vi being marketed as baritones. slap some bass vi strings on and set it up. they are hands down my favourite bass vi option.
also the strings i would recommend for the dano are the ernie ball 2837. i hate ernie ball strings but for some reason that string/guitar combo is magical. plus they are pretty much the cheapest bass vi strings you can find.
I'm iffy on the Danos, I had a buddy in high school who owned like 5 and none of them ever really clicked for me. It's not a bad option (and that semi-hollow bari looks sweet); I guess I'm just a bit biased that it's not gonna do what I want. How does it sound in doing bass lines and chordal stuff in a punky-proggy-rock context?
mbene085 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 am
A slightly outside-the-box option to consider is an Ibanez Mikro bass. Hear me out.

I own both a Bass VI and a Mikro. Even though the Mikro is even shorter at 28.6" scale, it plays much more like a bass than the VI, largely because the wider string spacing enables you to use thicker strings and a more traditional bass technique. They also make a 5-string, which you could string E-B and have most of the chord options of a Bass VI, but with a more traditional bass tone and technique when you want it.

Also, my Mikro is an absolute ergonomic dream to play. I have another short scale bass (Chowny SWB), and between the Mikro, VI, and Chowny, the Mikro is by far the lightest, puts the neck in the easiest-to-reach place, has the easiest fretting, but feels like a proper bass on the right hand.

It's an absolute brain teaser that the whole instrument feels smaller than a lot of guitars to hold, but puts out a more authoritative tone than my VI and lets me use normal bass right hand technique. The body is shorter and narrower than something like a Jazzmaster, so it's lighter and feels smaller even though it's much longer scale.

They're also really cheap. If you find a used one, they're really cheap. Like $180 USD new and down from there. The stock pickups are surprisingly decent but their price point also invites modding. I converted my 4-string into a narrower-spaced 5 string via a new bridge and nut, but would have just bought a 5-string one if I was doing it over.

Every guitarist and bassist that I have ever handed my Mikro over to has said something to the effect of "oh my god I love this." It's just so effortless and fun to play but still very unmistakeable as a "proper" bass.

Just something to consider. Polyphonic bass playing is my jam and I've used everything from this Mikro to my 35" 6-string capoed and tuned E-E. My Squier Bass VI is a great instrument too, I've got nothing against the VI. Just wanted to put a different idea out there.
I actually love the Mikros I've played in stores, for $180 new they're really impressive. I'd go for one if they had a 6, because that high E actually gets a bunch of use from me, but I don't wanna buy a 5-string just to put in a new 6-string bridge, dowel and redrill the headstock, but if I could grab one cheap on the 'bay or Reverb that might be a fun project -- 45mm at the nut for the 5 seems really nice to split the difference between a narrow VI and something more traditional. I'm also kinda concerned about the scale length, because my Ormsby is 27.5" on the lowest string, and with a 95 there in Drop D it's flop city unless I play right by the bridge and pretty softly, and even then the inharmonicity of the massive string on the shorter scale length doesn't sound great. I'm kinda concerned that the Mikro, even with proper bass strings, would give me similar issues. On a 30" scale, no problem, but IDK.

Hell, at this point it might be less work to just make my own thing from scratch :P

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:57 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:51 am
I'm iffy on the Danos, I had a buddy in high school who owned like 5 and none of them ever really clicked for me. It's not a bad option (and that semi-hollow bari looks sweet); I guess I'm just a bit biased that it's not gonna do what I want. How does it sound in doing bass lines and chordal stuff in a punky-proggy-rock context?
to me they sit most comfortably in the surf/post-punk/punk areas. my wife also has one and uses it as a straight up bass. i think it just depends on what amp/effects youre running it through. lipstick pickups are chameleons.
if youve never clicked with a danelectro, id maybe say skip it. its very danelectro. or maybe at least try one if you see one in the wild.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:08 pm

niksureal wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:57 am
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:51 am
to me they sit most comfortably in the surf/post-punk/punk areas. my wife also has one and uses it as a straight up bass. i think it just depends on what amp/effects youre running it through. lipstick pickups are chameleons.
if youve never clicked with a danelectro, id maybe say skip it. its very danelectro. or maybe at least try one if you see one in the wild.
Aside from my buddy John I've seen exactly three in the wild:
One used double-cutaway on the Sam Ash used wall for like $100 that was missing two strings
One vintage three-pickup one at a GC for like a grand with a massive crack on the back
One where the neck snapped off in a dumpster as a freshman in college

We, uh, don't get a lot of Danos around where I live. I'd be down to try one from like Sweetwater if I could return it for a Squier VI or that Gretsch baritone. Maybe I save up a bit and go through all of them on returns to drop some sound clips and reviews on here.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:42 am

Okay so I didn't know this existed, but now that I do I feel like I gotta share:
https://reverb.com/item/5599290-seed-ko ... e-baritone
33" 6-string bass/baritone/thing, HB/S/P90, with a Floyd, looks crazy and sounds insane, and even though it's a bit out of budget at around a grand it looks compelling enough that I'd save up for it instead of going for something cheaper. White or black (it's niche enough as is so I'm not too mad), it looks ridiculous enough either way, but like functional ridiculous instead of just dumb. It's literally like they took a bass body and slapped a guitar neck with more frets (29) on it.
Playing demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuDypNaQXAs

This thing is wild and I love it. Also definitely offset so it fits here ;D

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:32 pm

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/tb64

Admittedly have a soft spot due to Blonde Redhead always using the Teisco its based on, but if only i didn't already have the Squier Vi (perhaps i'll get the standard guitar version).
Eastwood do a few, actually- its worth going thru their site. This seems to have jag/strat style pickups.
I just think it looks great in the oddest way.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:41 am

The TB64 body is literally a direct copy of the Bass VI body with a hole through it, so it’s not much of a stretch if you like VIs.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:13 am

MatthewK wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:41 am
The TB64 body is literally a direct copy of the Bass VI body with a hole through it, so it’s not much of a stretch if you like VIs.
It also means it is possible to pick up the guitar. How would anyone pick up a guitar without a handle? ;)

They do mosrite style and a couple more too i think this isnt even the cheapest. Probably most similar, it even has a Jag style rhythm circuit but no controls so not sure how that works.
Hear the pickups might just be "ok nothing special" but whether you could fit other ones inside those covers idk - its likely they are just jag-like underneath.