60th Anniversary Jaguar wishlist

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

60th Anniversary Jaguar wishlist

Post by tune_link » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:20 am

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but we’re coming up on the Jaguar’s 60th Anniversary in 2022 right? Considering the models released MIM and US for the JM 60th anniversary back in 2018, what would you all like and or expect from to see from a 60th anniversary series Jag? Think they’ll do some amalgamation of specs like the MIM JMs that don’t really correlate 1 to 1 with a specific year model? What colors and features would you be psyched to see?

ShatoonBringerOfCorn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 60th Anniversary Jaguar wishlist

Post by ShatoonBringerOfCorn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:44 am

I'd absolutely love a re-issue of the 1965 gold sparkle with block inlays. Or just any other sparkle finish really. With matching headstock :? :?

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 pm

If it's going to be a 60th anniversary model, then I think they should adhere to 1962 features/specs. Don't reposition the tremolo, don't put modern pickups in it, don't do a 9.5" neck (there are plenty of those in the offset lineup already). Do a true 1962-accurate Jaguar, but here's the thing: DON'T do the fake yellowing and all that. Make it look like it did in the showroom in 1962...white plastic, untinted neck, glossy, etc. and then let all that stuff naturally age in the coming decades with honest use and wear.

That would be my wishlist...just make it a true 1962 "time capsule" type of instrument. No modern concessions, no phony aging/tinting. Do you realize just how sharp - and, in this day and age of relic/aging overkill, novel - that would look?! It would be GORGEOUS.

I don't know what colors were available on 1962 Jaguars (Olympic White, sunburst were surely in the mix?). If there was some cool custom metallic color(s) offered then, maybe go with that, for something truly unique and special? Some sort of gold or Burgundy Mist, maybe? Include a special neck plate or perhaps a stamp/badge on the back of the headstock to mark the model as such. But other than that, it should visually, sonically and functionally be a 1962 Jaguar, IMO.

I would love to own a shiny, pristine 1962-spec Jaguar (any color) 60th anniversary model, and then just play the hell out of it for the next 20-30 years and let every fade, ding, yellowing, rust, checking, etc. be from me...just the way it would've been had I been alive in 1962 and bought it new then. Don't start me out on second base via the phony "aging"; let me earn all that myself. Because it'll mean more, as the years roll on.

To me, that's a true, in-the-spirit idea of a 60th anniversary model.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:44 pm

pscates wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 pm
If it's going to be a 60th anniversary model, then I think they should adhere to 1962 features/specs. Don't reposition the tremolo, don't put modern pickups in it, don't do a 9.5" neck (there are plenty of those in the offset lineup already). Do a true 1962-accurate Jaguar, but here's the thing: DON'T do the fake yellowing and all that. Make it look like it did in the showroom in 1962...white plastic, untinted neck, glossy, etc. and then let all that stuff naturally age in the coming decades with honest use and wear.

That would be my wishlist...just make it a true 1962 "time capsule" type of instrument. No modern concessions, no phony aging/tinting. Do you realize just how sharp - and, in this day and age of relic/aging overkill, novel - that would look?! It would be GORGEOUS.

I don't know what colors were available on 1962 Jaguars (Olympic White, sunburst were surely in the mix?). If there was some cool custom metallic color(s) offered then, maybe go with that, for something truly unique and special? Some sort of gold or Burgundy Mist, maybe? Include a special neck plate or perhaps a stamp/badge on the back of the headstock to mark the model as such. But other than that, it should visually, sonically and functionally be a 1962 Jaguar, IMO.

I would love to own a shiny, pristine 1962-spec Jaguar (any color) 60th anniversary model, and then just play the hell out of it for the next 20-30 years and let every fade, ding, yellowing, rust, checking, etc. be from me...just the way it would've been had I been alive in 1962 and bought it new then. Don't start me out on second base via the phony "aging"; let me earn all that myself. Because it'll mean more, as the years roll on.

To me, that's a true, in-the-spirit idea of a 60th anniversary model.
Complete and total agreement. That’s what I’d love.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:15 pm

I just think that would be the more novel, daring and "against the grain" move from Fender at this point. And I think it would be more honest and appreciated, big picture, for all kinds of reasons.

Disclosure: I say all this as someone who's come to absolutely despise the whole "relic"/artificial aging racket, so YMMV. ;)

But I think for a limited, one-year release (just build 1,962 of them, even), Fender could/should embrace the "time capsule" approach just this once. If they did this, I would move heaven and earth - and sell whatever I needed - to own one. And I'd keep it forever.

That's how much I'd love such a release.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 pm

If any of them follow that design it would be one of the US models if I had to guess. The 60th anniversary JM has the MIM models (of which I own the Daphne Blue one) and I know it has a 9.5 radius and the blocks on it are not quite right as far as vintage looking ones go. Neither of those things bother me but I’m not shopping with as specific a view of what I want....I have boxes I tick off and y’all have covered some of them.

I expect if the Jags follow suit they’ll do some MIM ones that are sort of in that vein and then a US model that more closely hews to the vintage spec sort of like they did with the US 60th JM that’s modeled after a ‘58 one. Sadly that one I think only came in sunburst.

Everyone has things they look for in an instrument though. For me radius doesn’t ever factor into any decision I make. I have and enjoy some some guitars with vintage spec radius and some others that have the modern 9.5. For me matching headstock, cool color options, and good sounding pickups are the things I look for most along with correct bridge/trem spacing. I’d love to see a burgundy mist or firemist silver Jag with matching headstock among the anniversary models.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Fender's Broadcaster and Esquire 70th anniversary editions are both pretty close (if not exact) to the originals, and are pristine in their finish.

A Jag like that would be great.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:35 pm

If the world still exists by then, and it doesn't cost as much as as a full custom shop model, yes, a brand new 1962 replica.

. . .good luck on the Brazilian RW slab though.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:57 pm

Matching Headstock, some cool metallic finishes (don't need the sparkle ones personally) I'd like to see Aztek or Shoreline Gold, either Firemist Silver or Ice Blue Metallic, maybe Charcoal Frost Metallic, Burgundy Mist Metallic (we already had that one in the US 50th Anniversary - so sadly doubtful) along with some classics like Olympic White and Black, block inlays, neck binding, 7,25" fretboard (would be cool - but not a must), authentic and good sounding pickups, original vibrato position, Mute and Bridge cover(!), White or Mint guards for the Metallic colors, Tortoise for the solid colors.
Basically a Vintera with nicer neck features and some extras! ;)

On the other hand I'd also love a recreation of- or something based on- the 1967 custom built top bound jaguar... in some colour variations (not necessarily needing the tilted pickup) - and with another pickguard material/color than pearloid. https://images.app.goo.gl/HqvppY5LF9PPKEM18

Or another double bound (but not necessarily thinline) - this time with block inlays and metallic finishes... :whistle: you see where this is going!

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:13 pm

i think they should just rerelease that burgundy mist jaguar from 2012 with all of the weird incongruent specs and just match the headstock. they should also do a limited run of that color for squiers, thats it really.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Burgundy mist metallic is one of my fav colors. Have they ever done a cheaper model with it outside of that one Squier Classic Vibe Strat with the matching headstock?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:42 pm

tune_link wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:34 pm
Burgundy mist metallic is one of my fav colors. Have they ever done a cheaper model with it outside of that one Squier Classic Vibe Strat with the matching headstock?
CIJ Offsets were available in BMM in the early to mid '00s. I really, really wanted one of the (two) brand new BMM Jazzmasters I tried out to be great, but they sounded pretty dull/lifeless and were no match to the CAR one I ended up buying from the same run.

The Fender Japan offering is a brighter/more vibrant offering of the colour too, which I actually prefer to US (or vintage) instruments.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:55 pm

tune_link wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:34 pm
the squier jarman signature?

edit: the player p90 mustang could almost be considered affordable as well

jgpouton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jgpouton » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:50 am

Hi,

When would a 60th Anniversary Jaguar be released/announced? I mean usually when do Fender make such announcements, only in 2022 or soon?

Cheers

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:03 am

reissue the '62 AVRI? although i'm sure we can make it more complicated than that ;)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers