Another offset bridge option from Babicz

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Another offset bridge option from Babicz

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:13 pm
Well, without knowing much about it, I like what I see. It looks like a building in a business park. Overengineered and super expensive? Yeah, that's babicz, all right, but I'd put money on it being an excellent sounding and performing bridge.

It wouldn't surprise me if it required additional routing underneath it to make space for extra bridge mass. Just a guess.
Yeah, I mean, there's nothing for it to attach to, is there? The normal Jazzmaster/Mustang bridge isn't connected in any way, it just sits in the thimbles (which aren't threaded or anything).

So this thing could also sit in the thimbles, I guess, and completely cover them up.

Or, you have to remove the thimbles, and install some threaded ones or something.

I think their products might make more sense on basses, where I think they look great. That's where the high mass bridge concept really comes into play.

I'm not saying I wouldn't put one of these on a Telecaster or something, but God, it's just so... obtrusive...
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 pm

Yeah, my guess is that it screws in to its own thimbles and requires some kind of relief underneath for it to rest in because it's got extra metal.

It's kinda sharp in the edges, it seems like some relief and maybe rounding over of the overall profile would be a good next design step. I bet it's a good bridge, though. I'm actually pretty intrigued by it.
This is an excellent rectangle

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:04 am

As someone who tends to get drawn into 'upgrades' I'm trying to avoid it with my new Jaguar as most of them seem pretty expensive options. Mine is only a Player MIM too (Mustang style bridge I believe?), so the cost is out of proportion to the value of the guitar too. This bridge is pretty bulky and not cheap too, though I hesitate to say it's ugly as that's a matter of taste.

I guess I'm lucky because I don't really use a trem, so I've locked mine for the up-bend option anyway, but a bit of plain old engineering/adjustment seems to have sorted the issues with mine: Loose saddle screws that come undone, so I used a drop of lacquer on the threads to hold them tight. Intonation screw tip catching on the underneath of the low E string; put a shorter screw on it. With 11s on (replacing the 10s it came with) it's all good and I don't seem to suffer strings popping out, so maybe that's down to how I play, or perhaps the Mustang bridge?

I was all set to get a Staytrem (which looks a whole lot nicer than this brute IMHO), but as someone else said, it's a solution to a problem that I don't have (now anyway).

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:18 am

What does the body contact do? Wouldnt it sound better with a gap?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:15 am

jorri wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:18 am
More resonation between string and wood.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:15 am
jorri wrote:
More resonation between string and wood.
I think the marketing should not automatically assume thats a good thing :)
I feel a sound quality of a jazzmaster is in part to a thin plate bridge with lots of gaps. And that maybe that also allows a transferral to the trem system. Who knows, but i did prefer a very light modified mustang than a blocked thimble (w/brass) unmodified mustang i tried.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:45 am

jorri wrote:
As long as the bridge is rigid/stable either way, probably nothing. Electric guitars "work" by maintaining vibrations in the strings, where the pickups can "see" them. A rigid lump of metal like this bridge will reflect almost all of the strings' vibrations back up the strings, like most other bridges (opposite to acoustic guitar bridges), eventually to decay there. A small amount passes through to the 'residual' string behind the bridge on offsets, some of which may be lost there. If that reflection back up the string wasn't the predominant fate of string vibrations - for example if significant vibrations transferred to the body - those vibrations would be lost and sustain would be near-zero. Some bridges do absorb more frequency-specific vibrations internally - the more air gaps between vibration-prone parts, the more vibration losses. But very little vibration gets through to the body. Such vibration is grossly over-estimated by some people, usually the "tonewood" crew. All the measured data from real guitars shows body vibrations to be very small. And if next to no string vibrations reach the solid body, there is no mechanism for it to exert a sonic influence. Some string vibrations are lost to the more-flexible neck's resonant modal frequencies though. And some of those losses may be pleasing to the ear.
https://www.gitec-forum-eng.de/2019/08/ ... s-on-line/
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ic_guitars
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:02 am

^^^

Right. It's been my experience that in electric guitars, one wood is pretty much as good as any other, unless we're talking about balsa or something silly like that. Also, the more mass a bridge has, I tend to find that it sounds better to me. A brass tone block in a strat trem, for example, really brings something to the sound that I like. That's down to metal, not the wood.

Mileage will vary.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:40 am

Babicz makes me feel uncomfortable and this one is no different. There’s no way I’m cutting a Spirfire for that fitment either. :fp:
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:18 am

The full contact marketing thing has always seemed dubious to me. If the idea is that it transfers vibrations to the body then all that means is it's reducing the sustain in the strings, right? The ideal string would be supported at each end by rigid points floating in space with nothing to vibrate against and transfer energy into, wouldn't it?

That said, I don't think you all are giving this thing the credit it deserves for appearing to have the same footprint as a real offset bridge plate.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:32 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:18 am
The full contact marketing thing has always seemed dubious to me. If the idea is that it transfers vibrations to the body then all that means is it's reducing the sustain in the strings, right? The ideal string would be supported at each end by rigid points floating in space with nothing to vibrate against and transfer energy into, wouldn't it?

That said, I don't think you all are giving this thing the credit it deserves for appearing to have the same footprint as a real offset bridge plate.
Yup. Transferring vibrations to the bridge is actually a bad thing. You don't want a big massive bridge if sustain is your goal. You're just losing energy to the bridge that would otherwise be vibrating the strings.

Edit: I think the confusion is because it's the opposite for acoustic instruments. You need transfer of energy to the top of an acoustic guitar, for example. But for a solid body electric, you're not trying to vibrate the body. You just need the strings to move so that the pickups can get a signal.

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:15 am

timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:45 am
jorri wrote:
As long as the bridge is rigid/stable either way, probably nothing. Electric guitars "work" by maintaining vibrations in the strings, where the pickups can "see" them. A rigid lump of metal like this bridge will reflect almost all of the strings' vibrations back up the strings, like most other bridges (opposite to acoustic guitar bridges), eventually to decay there. A small amount passes through to the 'residual' string behind the bridge on offsets, some of which may be lost there. If that reflection back up the string wasn't the predominant fate of string vibrations - for example if significant vibrations transferred to the body - those vibrations would be lost and sustain would be near-zero. Some bridges do absorb more frequency-specific vibrations internally - the more air gaps between vibration-prone parts, the more vibration losses. But very little vibration gets through to the body. Such vibration is grossly over-estimated by some people, usually the "tonewood" crew. All the measured data from real guitars shows body vibrations to be very small. And if next to no string vibrations reach the solid body, there is no mechanism for it to exert a sonic influence. Some string vibrations are lost to the more-flexible neck's resonant modal frequencies though. And some of those losses may be pleasing to the ear.
https://www.gitec-forum-eng.de/2019/08/ ... s-on-line/
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ic_guitars
I don't think physical quantitative analysis ever gets anyone anywhere (or at least very far) when it comes to musical instruments. Mechanical efficiency is never really the point. FWIW the one instrument I've played with a Babicz sounded great, anecdotal I know, but I would give another a try if it was available in some form that didn't require drilling or cutting to install. I guess I'm in the camp of people that is not in love with all aspects of Leo's original design.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:01 am

The thing with transferring vibration to/from the body via the hardware is that if you get chunks of wood that are particularly resonant, and you're playing with an amp in the room, you get that cool sustain-into-feedback thing a lot more readily if the body can work as part of that circuit. It also helps those super resonant guitars that shake your ribcage when you're playing actually do that (though it's not necessary -- my Mustang with a Mustang bridge already does that, but sometimes higher-mass/better-contact hardware does that more readily). It's great hardware if your axe is 80% there, but if it's already working well, then it's very much optional.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Every adjustment needs a screw, individual height and intonation and roller saddles requires mass for machining. I don't find the overall shape more offensive than a stock bridge, it's a bit more blocky , almost deco.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm

papa_hotel_delta wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:15 am
I don't think physical quantitative analysis ever gets anyone anywhere (or at least very far) when it comes to musical instruments. Mechanical efficiency is never really the point. FWIW the one instrument I've played with a Babicz sounded great, anecdotal I know, but I would give another a try if it was available in some form that didn't require drilling or cutting to install. I guess I'm in the camp of people that is not in love with all aspects of Leo's original design.
Quantitative physics is what has taught those who are interested how electric guitars, acoustic guitars, pianos, wind instruments etc actually work. There are a number of large classic texts on the detailed physics of musical instruments, now including electric guitars eg Zollner's book, now fully translated from German ....
https://www.gitec-forum-eng.de/the-book/
The First Law of Thermodynamics/Law of Conservation of Energy, amongst other universal physical principles, applies everywhere. If a Babicz works well it is because of the principles of vibrating string physics. Which are that if all string vibration frequencies are to be detected by the pickups rather than decay quickly, they must be mostly reflected off the bridge back up the strings - opposite to an acoustic guitar, where vibrations must be transferred through the bridge to the site of amplification, the top plate/cavity, in order to be heard. On electric guitar bridges with more moving/unrestrained parts, string vibrations can excite those parts to vibrate, and so those particular vibration frequencies (mostly higher overtones) are lost from the strings.

But as you imply, physics don't tell the whole story. Psychophysiology (quantitative and qualitative) has helped explain what we actually perceive (ie hear) from musical instruments. Amongst electric guitar scientists, the group at the Sorbonne (Pate and colleagues) has focussed particularly on relating guitarists' perceptions to the electric guitar's physics. For example, it does not follow that a bridge that absorbs the least is necessarily the one that sounds the best. That is subjective.

More strangely, it does not seem to follow that all electric guitar/bridge manufacturers understand the physics that make their products work. So it is not uncommon for manufacturers of "good" electric guitar products to claim their products work well for reasons that are physically non-sensical. But they work well anyway, for other, solid physics-based reasons. Fortunately you can build that stuff without a full understanding how it works (although it helps). Understanding how things work certainly helps guitarist-consumers distinguish legitimate claims from marketing BS though. Reports from within companies suggest that most do product development by simple trial and error, rather than from a full understanding of the underlying physics (save for a few small guitar companies run by engineering PhDs, and several large Japanese guitar/instrument companies that employ the right type of engineers).
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:01 am
The thing with transferring vibration to/from the body via the hardware is that if you get chunks of wood that are particularly resonant, and you're playing with an amp in the room, you get that cool sustain-into-feedback thing a lot more readily if the body can work as part of that circuit. It also helps those super resonant guitars that shake your ribcage when you're playing actually do that (though it's not necessary -- my Mustang with a Mustang bridge already does that, but sometimes higher-mass/better-contact hardware does that more readily). It's great hardware if your axe is 80% there, but if it's already working well, then it's very much optional.
At high volume in a room, eg at feedback-approaching levels, the sound waves from the speakers can obviously cause anything in the room to vibrate, to the extent that those things are able to do so. From the strings on up. But the solid guitar body is well down the list of vibrate-able structures, along with the floor. But that's a whole different set of SPL-driven physical conditions to those that operate at normal volume levels, where sound waves are much much lower in magnitude. All measurements of real guitars have shown that solid guitar bodies barely vibrate at all at those more normal sound levels. Because vibrations are not transferred from the strings to the body to any real extent. Necks vibrate somewhat more (extracting vibrations from the strings similarly to bridges, although at lower frequencies). But again, vibrations remain mostly in the strings, otherwise the pickups would not detect them. That doesn't mean we can't sometimes feel the small vibrations in the body and neck, especially at certain low frequencies at which the proprioceptors (physiological sensors) under our skin are most sensitive.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.