Fender Japan Junior Series - 24” Scale Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
drybiro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender Japan Junior Series - 24” Scale Jazzmaster

Post by drybiro » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:53 am

So it arrived finally! Took nearly 2 weeks door to door but it was really well packaged and has arrived in great condition. I paid an extra £10 or so to have ZenMarket reinforce the box and they did a great job. Looks like Ishibashi Music who I ordered it from did a good job packing it on their end too and they even slipped in a free Fender multitool thing.

First impressions are great! The fit and finish is spot on and I'm really happy with it so far. I've not played a Fender Japan guitar before, only a friend's bass so went into it not knowing quite what to expect but feel like I've made a good decision. It cost about £800 for the guitar and then it was another £200 to get it shipped to the UK (and I imagine I'll get a bill for the customs fees soon) but it easily feels like a £1,000+ instrument and feels really well put together.

I love the satin finish! I tried one of the American Performer series with a satin finish a few years back and was hoping this would look and feel similar so I'm glad that it does. I'm not particularly sensitive to different types of fret so the vintage tall ones work absolutely fine for me. Neck feels pretty much identical to my 2017 Duo-Sonic which I guess makes sense.

Not got any decent scales at the moment to weigh it properly but holding it up it seems slightly lighter than the Duo-Sonic which was about 6.5lbs if I remember correctly.

I've only had the chance to plug it in for a little bit and at a pretty low volume so it's hard to tell what it sounds like, especially as I've not got much experience with Jazzmasters but I think it sounds pretty good. Loud and resonant unplugged and both the pickups seem nice and balanced. The bridge is a little more mellow than I was expecting but I quite like it and it sounds very usable so I'll have to see how I get on with it after a few full band practices.

Excuse the terrible photos! I included the last couple to try and show how big it is but it's still quite hard to see as the perspective's off. Standing on the bottom strap button it's shorter than my Mustang but maybe slightly longer than my Duo-Sonic.

If anyone's interested I'll try and record a video in the next few days so people can hear how it sounds. I'm also happy to dig the tape measure out and give some proper dimensions and lift up the pickguard to see if I can see how they've done the weight reduction in the pickup cavity.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:54 pm

Doesn't Ishibashi have international shipping without the need for a middleman?

Glad you're enjoying the guitar so far. I love that it's sized just like a Mustang/Duo Sonic. Maybe I'll get over the fret hate and dip my feet too.

drybiro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drybiro » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:14 pm

Wucan wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:54 pm
Doesn't Ishibashi have international shipping without the need for a middleman?

Glad you're enjoying the guitar so far. I love that it's sized just like a Mustang/Duo Sonic. Maybe I'll get over the fret hate and dip my feet too.
Yeah I think they’ve got a whole side of their site that’s accessible to international customers but for whatever reason (I’m guessing because they’re new or Japan exclusive releases) none of the Junior Collection instruments are listed there which is why I went with the middleman. Sod’s law they’ll be available worldwide in a few weeks time!

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:08 am

drybiro wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:53 am

If anyone's interested I'll try and record a video in the next few days so people can hear how it sounds. I'm also happy to dig the tape measure out and give some proper dimensions and lift up the pickguard to see if I can see how they've done the weight reduction in the pickup cavity.
Awesome photos and guitars! Yes, please do a video when you get the chance! I also have been wondering if this series can use parts and components (e.g., bridges, pick guards, etc.) from their standard size brethren.

drybiro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drybiro » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:00 am

While unscrewing the pickguard to get the plastic off, I took it off to take a peek inside. I couldn't see anything too usual but I took some photos and hopefully some useful measurements of the bits inside.

Also made a very rough and ready video that hopefully gives an idea of how it sounds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ErhNqqhBY

This is what it looks like:

I thought the routes might be a bit deeper than normal so I measured them. Not sure how deep they are on a regular Jazzmaster but it was 30mm by the switch and pots and then 20mm by the pickups.

Pickups seem standard size so don't think you would need anything special if you wanted to replace them.

61mm between the inside lips of the bridge holes.

The bridge itself is about 85mm wide.

The pickups look to be fairly tall which is guess is pretty standard for Japanese Jazzmasters but not particularly traditional. Couldn't see any markings on the pickups themselves.

Both pots are CTS 250k.

Took the trem out to see if there were any secret weight relieving routes in there but doesn't seem like it and the cavity was about 36mm deep (bad perspective on the photo).

Noticed this before I took the strings off. I'm not too precious with my guitars but I don't think I've bumped it so this might have been from putting it into the guitar stand. Seems like the finish is pretty thin.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:53 am

drybiro wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:00 am
KITTY!

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:09 pm

Wow. The quality looks good!

I'm relieved the 22 fret is not a fretboard overhang, which I initially thought it was. Plus the neck pocket appears to be angled, unless you have already shimmed it?

drybiro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drybiro » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:46 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:09 pm
Wow. The quality looks good!

I'm relieved the 22 fret is not a fretboard overhang, which I initially thought it was. Plus the neck pocket appears to be angled, unless you have already shimmed it?
Yeah I hadn't noticed until I read this but the neck pocket does look like it's angled slightly. I've not put any shims in so I guess they're cutting the neck pocket like that or shimming it in the factory.

Been living with it for nearly a week now and I'm still really impressed. I want to try and weigh it properly because it feels super light especially when it's hanging on a strap.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:29 pm

Saw these pop up on Reverb now for an OK price, shipped direct from Japan. Think I'll give it a shot. All in with sales tax and import fee it'll be the same price as a Vintera so... YOLO

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:55 pm

Looking sweet!
Does anyone make pickguards for these yet?
I‘d maybe like to make a 24" Jazzmaster/Jag hybrid.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:55 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:55 pm
Looking sweet!
Does anyone make pickguards for these yet?
I‘d maybe like to make a 24" Jazzmaster/Jag hybrid.
According to the Japanese dealers all parts should be standard-size parts.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:14 pm

Just placed my order. Not fun to pay 5% extra just for Paypal/currency fuckery but oh well, don't think I'm getting one of these any other way. Will post pictures once I get it.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 pm

Wucan wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:14 pm
Just placed my order. Not fun to pay 5% extra just for Paypal/currency fuckery but oh well, don't think I'm getting one of these any other way. Will post pictures once I get it.
Yes I had the same PayPal experience. Where did you order from and which color? I have the Tele but considering the Strat as well.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:56 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 pm
Wucan wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:14 pm
Yes I had the same PayPal experience. Where did you order from and which color? I have the Tele but considering the Strat as well.
I bought from Kinko Music, Satin Surf Green JM

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:55 pm

According to the Japanese dealers all parts should be standard-size parts.
Well, talking about parts, I guess they mean pickups, bridge and vibrato… but it wouldn‘t work scale wise except with some crazy conversion neck (I mean it works to make a Baritone out of a otherwise 25,5“ guitar…

Drybiro, what do you say, is it a Jag size neck or smaller? Could you measure it please? Pics can be deceiving (Mustangs). Or compare the guard to a regular JM guard if you happen to have one within your reach? :)
Thaaaaaank you!