Unknown neck

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Unknown neck

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:25 pm

My friend has recently gotten into building guitars. He's an engineer and has had building hobbies before (flyable model airplanes was his last obsession)...his guitar are quite good, especially the Teles.

He has built one Jazzmaster and has experienced all of the common problems. He used a kit and has basically trashed everything from the kit. It actually is a pretty neat guitar and may stay with me if we can sort out some issues (tuning stability and the trem is clunky.

But I find the neck most interesting. It is unlike any Jm neck I've ever played. He doesn't have any of the specs...He bought it in a batch of stuff from a builder that folded.

It feels wider than other Jms. He's going to measure the radius when I give it back to him. But what is most interesting is the fret board. It is super thick (at least in my limited experience with Jazzmasters--10 or 12 of varying sorts). Here's a couple of pics...I'm curious what you guys think:

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Unknown neck

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:05 pm

warmoth used to make really thick fretboards like that.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:20 pm

It definitely could be Warmoth, especially their compound radius fingerboards.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Johnnylawnmower
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Johnnylawnmower » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 pm

Have you de clunked the vibrato yet? Iv'e made huge improvements to two cheap jm units by polishing the knife edges. I used a polishing wheel and compound on a bench press drill. Left them nice and springy and lovely to use.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:59 pm

I didn't end up getting it...it's a nice guitar (still for sale) and I liked it; but, 2 kids in grad school and helping pay for apartments is killing us financially.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Johnnylawnmower
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Johnnylawnmower » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:21 am

Yup. Sounds expensive.