Thoughts on Momose “Handmade in Japan” Jazzmasters and Jaguars

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Thoughts on Momose “Handmade in Japan” Jazzmasters and Jaguars

Post by Iffymiffy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 pm

With price increases pushing “nicer” Fender stuff out of my price range, I have been looking at other places to score high quality “bargains”, and that has led me to taking a closer look at Momose from Japan.

I watched this video where they show how they make everything without CNC machinery for the Momose line at the Deviser Workshop in Japan:

Process of making Electric guitar | Electric guitars handcrafted by Japanese craftsmen | Deviser

everything seems to be routed by hand with templates, how much that makes a difference apart from bragging rights I don’t know and would like to know more, hopefully more experienced members could chime in.

I have seen Momose guitars many times in Japan but honestly I was still in the mindset that I needed Fender on the headstock if I am paying premium money.

However, I like to stick in the USD1000 - USD1300 price range because I personally can’t really tell the difference between something like an AVRI and a Custom Shop. NOT because there aren’t any, but I’m just not a guitar expert and the difference in details and finishing don’t immediately jump out to me like how they do on a Squier Classic Vibe VS a MIJ Fender.

I paid USD1300 for an American Original Jazzmaster around a year ago and it’s a bit of a nicer guitar quality-wise than my sub USD1000 MIJ Fenders, but new or used AVRI / AO / AVII guitars are like USD2000-2500 now and I am not going in to that territory, so here I am considering used Momose stuff.

They are pretty expensive brand new and the “Fancy” wood and custom headstocks are not my thing, but now and again I see deals on used older stuff with Fender type headstocks and more classic style that fall into my price range.

Example:

Momose Shell Pink Thinline Jazzmaster

I never considered Momose before because I don’t see much talk about their Jazzmasters or Jaguars here or anywhere else. I thought if they would be worth it there would be threads or user reviews from offset connoisseurs but I couldn’t find anything in English other than a single Youtube review.

I did some research and they seem to be very well regarded in the Les Paul forum as being up there with ESPs high end Navigator series, but I am guessing Les Paul style guitars would benefit more from the extra time spent crafting and selecting woods etc.

Apart from the supposed high quality, I am rather intrigued about their 8.25” Radius which sits in between 7.25” and 9.5”. Don’t really care much about the bridge, trem or pickups as I have spares in my parts drawer that I could put to good use.

Would love to hear about other Japanese offset makers too!
Last edited by Iffymiffy on Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:56 am, edited 7 times in total.

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Thoughts on Momose “Handmade in Japan” Jazzmasters and Jaguars

Post by Soniqfreq » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:46 pm

Momose offsets (particularly the more traditional styles) look incredible and seem like they are quality builds. I definitely have them on the top of my list. I would love to try one. I almost considered just taking a chance, but at the time the supply seemed to dry up so I ended up with an older MIJ Fender JM66.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:19 pm

Iffymiffy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 pm
I watched this video where they show how they make everything without CNC machinery for the Momose line at the Deviser Workshop in Japan:

Process of making Electric guitar | Electric guitars handcrafted by Japanese craftsmen | Deviser

everything seems to be routed by hand with templates, how much that makes a difference apart from bragging rights I don’t know and would like to know more, hopefully more experienced members could chime in.
They will be less accurate and have more variation from instrument to instrument than bodies/necks cut and shaped by a CNC mill.

So not really a selling point for solidbody guitars outside of a marketing team romanticising the whole 'handcrafted' thing.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:00 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:19 pm
They will be less accurate and have more variation from instrument to instrument than bodies/necks cut and shaped by a CNC mill.
I was thinking alone those lines too.

I would like to think in theory that having more hands-on time during finishing and setup, as well as focused product line-up coupled with limited production capacity would result in great quality control, but that is “in theory”.

Guess am kind of being half sucked into the romantic handcrafted marketing story, and am grateful for replies like this so I don’t make any unnecessary NGD>Buyer Remorse threads :ph34r:

Dr. Ooh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dr. Ooh » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:53 pm

I don't know of any additional, aside from Momose. I have two Momose's, a Jazzmaster & Mustang style, and I do really like them. Do I like them more than my Fender Mustangs or Jazzmasters? No. My Momose MJM, for example, is comparable to my American Professional II Jazzmaster. I reach for my Am Pro II first, before the Momose, and before all my other 10+ JM's.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:15 pm

Iffymiffy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:00 am
andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:19 pm
I was thinking alone those lines too.

I would like to think in theory that having more hands-on time during finishing and setup, as well as focused product line-up coupled with limited production capacity would result in great quality control, but that is “in theory”.

Guess am kind of being half sucked into the romantic handcrafted marketing story, and am grateful for replies like this so I don’t make any unnecessary NGD>Buyer Remorse threads :ph34r:
I mean, they'll probably be... fine.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 pm

Dr. Ooh wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:53 pm
I don't know of any additional, aside from Momose. I have two Momose's, a Jazzmaster & Mustang style, and I do really like them. Do I like them more than my Fender Mustangs or Jazzmasters? No. My Momose MJM, for example, is comparable to my American Professional II Jazzmaster. I reach for my Am Pro II first, before the Momose, and before all my other 10+ JM's.
This is interesting, is this from a specs perspective that you prefer your other JMs more, or is there not much difference in terms of quality/craftsmanship/feel?

Dr. Ooh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dr. Ooh » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:49 pm

Iffymiffy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 pm
Dr. Ooh wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:53 pm
This is interesting, is this from a specs perspective that you prefer your other JMs more, or is there not much difference in terms of quality/craftsmanship/feel?
I prefer the Am Pro II because of the sound, neck feel, and I really love the panorama trem. From a quality and craftsmanship perspective, they are equal in my eyes.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:32 pm

Dr. Ooh wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:49 pm
I prefer the Am Pro II because of the sound, neck feel, and I really love the panorama trem. From a quality and craftsmanship perspective, they are equal in my eyes.
That is interesting as I wasn’t into the sound and neck/fret profile of the AM Pro II I tried, although I did like feel of the Panorama trem. I thought craftsmanship was pretty standard, nothing wrong or to complain about.

I keep seeing small comments here and there that these high end Japanese offsets are custom shop quality, but I am wondering if there is only so far you can go for in terms of craftsmanship for a standard configuration Jazzmaster or Jaguar without neck binding 🤔

Like does it mainly come down to the neck feel, as all the other parts are easily changeable.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:07 pm

Iffymiffy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:32 pm
I keep seeing small comments here and there that these high end Japanese offsets are custom shop quality, but I am wondering if there is only so far you can go for in terms of craftsmanship for a standard configuration Jazzmaster or Jaguar without neck binding 🤔

Like does it mainly come down to the neck feel, as all the other parts are easily changeable.
I have a custom shop Jag. Apart from the specific features that you can’t get on a standard production guitar, I couldn’t tell you anything remarkable about how it feels/plays. I’m a sucker for the right neck, and the two most comfortable necks I’ve ever played were mij.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Kyon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kyon » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:26 pm

They're very excellent guitars and they invoke a certain level of cork sniffing fun when you engage with someone who recognizes what you have and I think for the most part they are up there with some of the nicer Jazzmasters you can get I believe most of the hardware is essentially what you'd get on a Fender Japan guitar which might be good or bad depending your preferences. I will say I would look to Momose, Tokai, Bizen, etc for a les paul style guitar from Japan before buying a new Gibson myself.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:46 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:07 pm
I’m a sucker for the right neck, and the two most comfortable necks I’ve ever played were mij.
Interesting! May I ask what shapes those MIJ necks were? 90s-00s C or current U?

I can’t find much info on Momose neck carve apart from them using C with 8.25” radius.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:51 pm

Kyon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:26 pm
I will say I would look to Momose, Tokai, Bizen, etc for a les paul style guitar from Japan before buying a new Gibson myself.
Vanzandt has come up on my radar too, unlike Momose they seem to still be making Jazzmasters with exact Fender style headstocks and they apparently use a very thin full nitro finish. Very light weight 2 piece alder bodies too. However, even used in Japan they seem to be pretty pricey and don’t linger around.

Kyon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kyon » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:26 pm

Iffymiffy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:51 pm
Kyon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:26 pm
I will say I would look to Momose, Tokai, Bizen, etc for a les paul style guitar from Japan before buying a new Gibson myself.
Vanzandt has come up on my radar too, unlike Momose they seem to still be making Jazzmasters with exact Fender style headstocks and they apparently use a very thin full nitro finish. Very light weight 2 piece alder bodies too. However, even used in Japan they seem to be pretty pricey and don’t linger around.
I've owned on Vanzandt actually, a tele style which I really liked and the finish on that one was very similar to a Fender Thinskin. I've never played any of their Jazzmasters but I suspect the hardware situation is the same and I personally wouldn't chase one without trying it first at least. My Tele had pretty standard but good Gotoh tele hardware but I don't believe Gotoh makes any JM trem.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:46 pm

Kyon wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:26 pm
I've owned on Vanzandt actually, a tele style which I really liked and the finish on that one was very similar to a Fender Thinskin.
Any reason you moved the Tele on?

I read the nitro finish comes off really easily, but I guess it is part of why people like them. Did you notice any rapid “natural relic-ing” yourself?

Not really concerned about the hardware as I usually change the traditional bridge to Mastery/Staytrem/Mustang and the trem to an AVRI if needed. I have a drawer of unused nice parts/pickups that I stripped off guitars I got in trades etc.

Compared to Momoses their used prices are quite a bit higher, so yes I would most likely want to try one in person rather than go for a wild punt online LOL.