Miami Blue American Pro II Jazzmaster - review/thoughts

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RaistMagus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Miami Blue American Pro II Jazzmaster - review/thoughts

Post by RaistMagus » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:46 pm

So I have owned from new a gorgeous Miami Blue JM. I ended up selling it a couple of years later and here are my thoughts and findings.

Miami blue + maple combination on a JM is the most beautiful guitar I've seen, bar none. The satin neck and the shaved heel were amazing. The finish was impeccable. FWIW the lacquer on the fretboard was applied on top of the frets and after some playing it started chipping off from the frets (maybe this is the standard procedure?). I liked the replacement of the useless (to me) rhythm circuit with the pickup in series selection. The shielding and grounding was done very well.

The guitar came with a significant defect, one of the pickup height screws had been screwed in at an angle (not at 90 degrees) and so it could not lower or raise the pickup... I had to fill the hole and redrill one at 90 deg.

Another significant defect was the neck pocket on the body. It had been badly routed and it only made contact with the neck at a narrow ridge around the pocket, hard to explain in text only. I haven't seen such bad quality in any guitar in my life. Unacceptable flaws for such an expensive guitar.

The Panorama tremolo does feel a bit different than the traditional one. Loved the trem arm adjustable rotation tension, so it can stay put instead of hanging/droping down. Also no play in the trem arm socket, big plus. That said, the stock Panorama trem system has very limited range if you use heavy strings (11+), as I assume most of the forumers here would already know. I prefer the feel (force vs pitch and location of pivot point) of the traditional JM tremolo, don't see the need for dives on a JM; that said, the trem arm behavior is amazing on the Panorama.

The bridge came with thimbles at the posts to keep it from rocking. I removed them and had it rocking. The mustang saddles are ok I guess. I like to set each saddle height indiviually so I would have preferred saddles with height adjustment. I struggled quite a bit with getting a good balance of string action accross all strings and was never 100% happy with the result).

Personally, I could not get used to the shape of the neck, it was too thick and had too much shoulder for my taste, especially at the higher frets (I have small hands FWIW). I couldn't get used to the tall frets either. I couldn't get a medium-low action without bends choking so I suspect something was off at the higher frets, can't say for sure. I was also unlucky and that particular guitar was quite dead sounding acoustically.

The original pickups were nice I guess, I tried changing them in case I could improve the dull sounding guitar. It didn't do much to remedy that. I tried the PV65 pickups but wasn't crazy, I had in my mind the AVRI62 tone and they were very far from it. The low output didn't do it for me either (they're lower output than all of the SD offerings and the AVRI62s I believe). As a result they don't push my reverb tank like the AVRI 62 did, which I do not like. Other than that, they sound good. Crystal clear, balanced, scooped sound. Very "polite", not too trebley or ice-pick-y (even with 1Meg pots). They have bass but even at the neck pickup it is not overbearing. The AVRI62s imho have a pronounced mid peak (like a wah but no so pronounced), a middy honky character.

Had to eventually sell the guitar with a heavy heart. I may try my luck again with a Miami Blue JM just for the color, I would replace the neck to something I like more. For now I'm ok with an AVRI62.

Last edited by RaistMagus on Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChillyDawg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: American Pro II Jazzmaster review/thoughts

Post by ChillyDawg » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:15 pm

Miami Blue is the one Am Pro II color that just blew me away. The necks on the Pro IIs I’ve played have been consistently great.

armensguitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armensguitars » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:40 pm

Great review. I am rather fond of these, and seems like some of your concerns are solvable with mods, but others, like the neck pocket, are good to hear about. I certainly don't think they are all like that. Also a big fan of the panorama, although the traditional trem feels more like home. Miami blue is gorgeous with maple.

RaistMagus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RaistMagus » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:04 am

If only I could find a bare JM body in Miami blue I would definitelly buy it! Maybe add a strat player plus maple neck and SD pickups and I'm good.
armensguitars wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:40 pm
Great review. I am rather fond of these, and seems like some of your concerns are solvable with mods, but others, like the neck pocket, are good to hear about. I certainly don't think they are all like that. Also a big fan of the panorama, although the traditional trem feels more like home. Miami blue is gorgeous with maple.
I'm sure the neck pocket was a 1/100000 issue, just tough luck for me.
ChillyDawg wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:15 pm
Miami Blue is the one Am Pro II color that just blew me away. The necks on the Pro IIs I’ve played have been consistently great.
I can really see how the neck would be perfect for some. I'm too used to my modern C stratocaster and to other C-shaped necks in JMs. It took me quite some time to get used to a shallow D on my Les Paul Classic but I never got used to the Am Pro II neck; it actually gave me wrist pain when I was playing it a lot over many days. I hear the neck on the Ultra series is a bit smaller so I would definitelly give that a chance.

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Miami Blue American Pro II Jazzmaster - review/thoughts

Post by DavidG » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:25 am

I owned one of these for a few days a while ago (the store sent me an abused display model when I had paid for a new one). For the time I owned it I loved the colour, feel of the neck and the range of that trem. The pickups were bang average though, and more stratty than Jazzmaster.

That Miami blue colour is a stunner. Had the store cut a deal I would have kept it and changed the pickups.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:10 am

Yeah, this is a an excellent color combo.

Mystic Seafoam is my other favorite recent fender color.

scole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scole » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:06 pm

I thought the Panorama trem travel issue was spring related

Panorama Trem Spring Video