New Model Shootout!!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

Which 3 of these potential models would you most like to see brought to life?

Azalea
7%
Bloomer
12%
Bruiser
10%
Catalyst
3%
Chroma 6
6%
Daytripper
7%
Daylily
No votes
Deathcaster (Super Deluxe)
16%
Iris
2%
Mandarin
7%
Nightcap
3%
Pacesetter
3%
Satisfier (Non Reverse)
2%
Stargazer
11%
Type I Fat Cat
6%
Wave Racer
4%
Wrangler
2%

Total votes: 125

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New Model Shootout!!

Post by copacetic » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:01 pm

Howdy gang!!

I had a burst of creativity last night and felt like doing some drawing/designing for "new" Feelgood models. I say "new" in quotations because a lot of my designs, as usual, borrow a lot from other existing designs, but I try to reimagine shapes in unique ways or fuse them with other parts/shapes to make new wacky creations, and occasionally i even manage to make something somewhat unique looking, like my Space Cadet model which started as a sketch just like these!

I wanted to pop in here to share these with you guys, mostly just for the pure nerd-dom, but also to see which of these have the most "interest" and would make good additions to our lineup. I thought itd be fun to have a little shootout poll to see which ones OSG likes best. May the best shapes win!!

A lot of these guitars i will honestly probably never get around to building, but i included them anyways for the fun of having some outliers. :) You can select up to 3 favorite designs. I'm interested to see if my personal favorites stick out to you guys the same way they do to me, and also of course welcome any feedback, negative or positive :-*

The Contenders:

Azalea - Kind of a jagstang, but smaller, less oblong, and mixed with a swinger instead of a mustang

Bloomer - 24" scale tele/mustang mashup. More refined than my previous attempts at doing this same mashup. A bit of an Alamo vibe to it which was a happy accident :)

Bruiser - Jazz bass shaped guitar, made for offset lovers. Had a wacky idea for 6-pole pickups made in a Jazz Bass pickup casing.. not sure if itd work, but itd be a cool look ;)

Catalyst - Funky Doublecut Jaguar/Powercaster type thing

Chroma 6 - inspired by Teisco Spectrum 5. Tweaked the body shape for a sort of tulip vibe.. Idea was for the rainbow switches to be custom Moog Style rocker switches, either painted or manufactured in rainbow colors.. Ahem.. Guitar Form ;)

Daytripper - weirdo Powercaster/Maverick/Swinger mashup, also works well as an XII
Image Image

Daylily - inspired by an old Guyatone model. Basically trying to fuse wacky japanese 60s aesthetics with "Traditional" Fender look.

Deathcaster / Super Deluxe - Powercaster/Maverick/Tele Deluxe fusion. Meant to be my most "aggressive" model; hardtail, double humbuckers, meaner, angrier lines. (Thinking about just naming this one the Super Deluxe since i already have a "deathcaster" model)

Iris - Mashup of the Squier Venus and the Jagstang, a little Kurt and Courtney DNA together felt fitting.

Mandarin - Mandocaster shaped 24" or 22.5" scale guitar. Probably one of my favorites of the bunch. I'll be building one for myself regardless lol

Nightcap - Swinger/Maverick mashup. Would also make a great 24" scale 12 string...

Pacesetter - Based on Eddie Peabody Banjoline 1 off prototype made in 1966 by one of my design idols, Roger Rossmeisl. He and Leo were big fans of Eddie's, who was regarded as the "plectrum banjo king" of the 20's-40's. Had a really cool idea to further dial up the late 60s weirdness and play homage to Roger by making one of these out of mahogany and staining it brown like the 60s fender acoustics, with a hockey stick headstock, metallic gold pickguard, and hidden pickups to further make it look "acoustic." This also pays further homage to Eddie and his "banjoline" project with Fender as the only other model known to have been made for Eddie by Fender very closely resembles the "aesthetic" of roger's Acoustic line. I'll attach pics of all three so you can see what the heck im babbling about :)
Image Image Image

Satisfier (Non-Reverse) - Basically a reverse SuperSonic, which is a reversed jag, so this is like a non reverse jag, but not a jag, because its a Satisfier, but not just a satisfier; a non reverse Satisfier. Got all that?

Stargazer - Kind of like a mustang with more gizmos and a double-jag sort of look, but fanned out a bit to make it more "space age" and funky. Kind of resembles the guild surfliner or a G&L Fallout, but i like my design way more than those :whistle:

Type 1 Fat Cat - an attempt to make the "vibe" of a type one marauder/dreamweaver more accessible/affordable, and in a shorter scale length. 2x Hidden pickups instead of 4 and traditionally sized (read: readily available) jaguar plates mean these are easier and cheaper to produce, while not losing much of the "magic"

Wave Racer - Based on a 60's Aria-produced "Toledo" guitar. split 3 piece pickguard, really wacky vintage aesthetics. Whats not to love?

Wrangler - Probably the most "country" looking guitar ive ever designed, hence the name. I cant even decide why it looks so country, aside from the obvious tele influence. Just looks like some honky tonk riffs are ready to belt out of it at any moment. A gaudy sparkle finish would look great methinks....
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Model Shootout!!

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:43 pm

Some interesting work there !

:)

Have you thought about an Offset Junior, a single pickup, wrap over bridge on an offset body, side mounted jack output ?

Kauer made one a few years ago but no longer make them.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:01 pm

One thing that's sorely missing in the market is an Offset Tele with an offset trem. My vote goes for Bloomer (in general), but would love to see it with an offset trem. I believe the tele bridges are available out there with the appropriate cutouts in the back. You'd probably also need to move the trem up closer to the bridge (heresy, I know) to make it work optimally.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:44 am

I've made one of them Mandolin's as a 12 string.
I've been thinking about doing a 6 string version.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:15 am

I would love a Bloomer :-*

The Deathcaster would be awesome, too.

No DC for me though. Jags & JMs look big on me, so that would be Firebird levels of massive. It’s not all about you, Matt
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:14 am

Interested in the Iris idea! Love the Venus...

jasonpetzold
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jasonpetzold » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:05 am

Can I vote for Bruiser three times?

forestgreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by forestgreen » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:09 am

These all look great but the daytripper got my vote. The world needs more single pick-up guitars.

njpozner
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by njpozner » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:44 pm

I voted for Azaela, Deathcaster Super Deluxe, and the Stargazer. Lots of cool ideas here though!

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:58 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:44 am
I've made one of them Mandolin's as a 12 string.
I've been thinking about doing a 6 string version.

I knew I had seen someone do a guitar-sized version, but couldnt remember who and google was of no help. Yours is so sick! Especially love that finish 8) The shape works great as a 12

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:11 am

I like most of them, but I voted for the Bloomer, Catalyst, and the Stargazer. Really like the Mandolin too :)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:27 am

Deathcaster. Very pleasing shape.

Snake Hips
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snake Hips » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

I love the full scale Mandocaster idea. 12 string, 8 string tenor, 6 strings, Mando Octave into any version of that.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:00 am

Man, I'd be all over the Type 1 Fat Cat.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:37 pm

leokula wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:00 am
Man, I'd be all over the Type 1 Fat Cat.
Glad someone digs it :)

If i may pick your brain real quick:
Do you like the "swinger" style arrowhead headstock on this? Something about the marauder-fied jaguar body seemed perfect for it, maybe because the treble "horn" is more pointed? idk. Ive been wanting to do a jag with this headstock for a minute anyways, just for the added weird/cool factor.

But a lot of peeps tell me when they see this headstock they think "cheap 2000s starcaster strat" instead of "cool vintage Swinger" so they dont like the shape based on that. I cant relate to this sentiment at all, the Swinger is far more present in my mind than those crappy walmart strats, but am curious what my fellow OSGers think

What say you? If you were to have one made, would you nix the arrow headstock?