MIJ Traditional / Hybrid series Jazzmaster Help!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
TheColdNorthWind
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

MIJ Traditional / Hybrid series Jazzmaster Help!

Post by TheColdNorthWind » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:49 pm

hey, haven't posted here since like 2002 or something ::) but i'm really in need of some help or resources to nail down exactly what paint options and specs are on the various hybrid and traditional MIJ models.. if anyone knows a place that documents these i'd really appreciate it!

I came really close to getting a hybrid 60's JM (i think) recently.. was in Charcoal Frost Metallic which is gorgeous.. but had a massive ding on it.

now i'm trying to figure out, what years these have been made.. do the colours differ from year to year, or between the hybrid and the hybrid II (and assume a traditional 1 and 2?).. or if Fender Japan ever knock out a JM66B in any other colours than sunburst? should i expect to see new colours in 2025, or later this year?

i'm seeing plenty of sunburst, Ice Blue, and Black at the moment from these models, but nothing "special" like Charcoal Frost, Sherwood Green, Burgundy Mist etc

ideally i need the block and binding, and singe coils (not the wide-range pickups) coz this will be my first "ultimate" JM besides the various Squiers i have. hopefully there's one out there. (and Fender don't have block & bound necks as an option on their Mod Shop!? - what are they thinking?!)

cheers.

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MIJ Traditional / Hybrid series Jazzmaster Help!

Post by ryanthellama » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:13 pm

I can’t be of a ton of help, but I do know the JM66B exists in Vintage White with matching headstock. I’m not sure about other colors, but I’ve seen the white pop up on Reverb now and then (including one listing currently)

I’m not sure if there’s any kind of schedule to releases and new colors, but with the amount of FSRs that happen, I feel like it would be very hard to keep track and new stuff just sort of seems to pop up all the time.

forestgreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by forestgreen » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 pm

Yeah a complete list would be challenging but I can help put a dent in the last couple of years. As far as I know Ishibashi has the latest FSRs and they're currently CAR, LPB and OTM. The bottom of that page has the previous FSRs of the traditional line.

Going off what's currently on digimart theres Sunburst, Sherwood Green, Arctic White, Forest Blue, Deep Ocean Metallic, Natural, Walnut, Modena Red, Black and Jasper Olive Metallic.

Fender Japan only list 6 colours so I guess you could count the Sherwood Green, Deep Ocean Metallic, Walnut and Jasper Oliver as the FSRs. If you wanted to get encyclopaedic about it you could gather the serial numbers and try to figure out years - one thing I'm fairly confident of is that these are quite small run numbers. There was a Fiesta Red Jaguar run last year that Iffymiffy reckons only had about 30. And the Kinko FSRs are even less than that I guess.

Ishibashi covers the '21/'22 'regular' Hybrid releases but I wouldn't know how many FSRs would've been available.

Last year I made a thread trying to keep up with FSRs but I'm sure I missed a few. Currently I think it's Ishibashi, Kinko and Kurosawa that'll advertise their FSRs.

TheColdNorthWind
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TheColdNorthWind » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:20 am

forestgreen wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 pm
Yeah a complete list would be challenging but I can help put a dent in the last couple of years.
great info and links, thanks!