NGD - MIJ Competition Mustang

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
VealCutlet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD - MIJ Competition Mustang

Post by VealCutlet » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 am

This arrived a couple of weeks ago but I've really started to dig into it lately.

MIJ Competition Mustang from 2005. Saw it on GC's site at a decent price, and had found a few old/lost GC gift cards during a recent move to help defray the cost even further. Might have a very slight twist in the neck around the first fret but intonation and tuning stability is really good. It's my first 7.25" radius guitar - I wasn't sure I'd love it as much as I do. I need to tweak the truss rod a bit and add a little more shim.

These pickups absolutely scream. Does anyone know what they are (I'm assuming they are stock)? They take distortion and fuzz beautifully. Probably going to gig this thing at my next opportunity. I had a Squier VM Mustang and stupidly sold it off - for a pandemic 100% profit - but regretted it almost instantly. Took a while to figure out how to replace it, but I am really happy with this. Will take it to my tech to check the neck.

Matching headstock

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - MIJ Competition Mustang

Post by GilmourD » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:23 am

VealCutlet wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 am
Matching headstock
Fixed your pics (added '.jpg' to the end of the links). Sweet 'Stang!

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 pm

Ah, it’s gorgeous 😻 Guessing that’s an MG73-85 CO. I’ve the OCAR one and it’s a fav.

The bridge PU is long-swapped on mine, but I like the neck PU well enough. I’ve a 69 too (non CO, plain headstock, also OCAR). Again, bridge pickup is gone in that - previous owner put in a SD Antiquity Texas and did the serial mod. Like the neck pickup in that one too. It’s a newer model - I think 2012. I assumed the pickups were the same on the 69and 73 RIs, but I haven’t got a clue what they are and if that’s true. Should really have measured them.

I restored a MG65 with the grey bottom RIs, which internet wisdom reckons are better than those on the 69 and 73 RIs. Maybe they’re more vintage correct, but I’m not sure I like them as much. I guess I can only really speak for the neck PU’s, though. Interested to see what folk here know about the pickups on all those models.

Potential twist/setup needed aside, how are you finding the neck on the 73?

VealCutlet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by VealCutlet » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:55 am

ainm wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 pm
Ah, it’s gorgeous 😻 Guessing that’s an MG73-85 CO. I’ve the OCAR one and it’s a fav.

The bridge PU is long-swapped on mine, but I like the neck PU well enough. I’ve a 69 too (non CO, plain headstock, also OCAR). Again, bridge pickup is gone in that - previous owner put in a SD Antiquity Texas and did the serial mod. Like the neck pickup in that one too. It’s a newer model - I think 2012. I assumed the pickups were the same on the 69and 73 RIs, but I haven’t got a clue what they are and if that’s true. Should really have measured them.

I restored a MG65 with the grey bottom RIs, which internet wisdom reckons are better than those on the 69 and 73 RIs. Maybe they’re more vintage correct, but I’m not sure I like them as much. I guess I can only really speak for the neck PU’s, though. Interested to see what folk here know about the pickups on all those models.

Potential twist/setup needed aside, how are you finding the neck on the 73?
I like the neck a lot, though at first I was a little shocked to find how narrow it felt. I haven't measured the nut yet but it feels smaller than any guitar I own. It is my first 7.25" radius guitar. I've played them in shops, and liked them, but always found some reason to pass them by. I adjusted the truss rod, and most of what I assumed was "twist" seems to have gone away. I need to take the neck off again and put a little more shim in the pocket and tweak the truss again as I'm putting 11s on it (it came with really thin 9s where the low E string was probably .28 - never saw a setup like that).

And thanks, @GilmourD for the photo fix!

Daitong II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daitong II » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:41 am

That is a looker. Congrats!

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:12 am

VealCutlet wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 am
They take distortion and fuzz beautifully.
For me that's just an offset thing - whether they're single coils or 'buckers, definition seems to keep the fuzzes from bottoming out and cuts through.

That's f'n sexy as. Don't see a lot of those in that colour with the comp stripe. Time to wind one of those Fender amps way up and windmill some chords and listen to the chime...
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:32 am

^Woot? I thought you had gotten the banhammer a few years ago? Sorry, i guess i must have mistaken you for someone else... :squint:

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:36 am

Fiddy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:32 am
^Woot? I thought you had gotten the banhammer a few years ago? Sorry, i guess i must have mistaken you for someone else... :squint:
Same guy. And it was 14 years ago, so by now it doesn’t matter, I guess.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:45 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:36 am
Fiddy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:32 am
Same guy. And it was 14 years ago, so by now it doesn’t matter, I guess.
Can't even remember what for, but according to an ancient message from Zainal it was a one month ban. I probably just decided back then to do something else with the time and fell out of the habit of posting, so people assumed it was a full ban cos it was never spoken about. He hasn't posted for over a decade either, I think...
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"