Fender Mod Shop expands availability

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Mod Shop expands availability

Post by Futuron » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:56 am

Been open to the USA for some time now - UK, Japan, Germany & France for a year or so. Now also available to Spain, Italy & Australia.

(If you don't already know, it's primarily an American Professional (1 or 2, depending) with a small handful of neck, pickup & colour etc options.)
Expensive. Like $3500 AUD for Jaguar/Jazzmaster - but that is only a few hundred higher than the full retail price for an AP2.

Still no Mustang.

Some new colours added more recently: satin neon orange, satin white, mocha burst, texas tea.
Also now available is the choice between the 'new' panorama or vintage-styled vibrato (with mustang saddles, and screw-in arm - I'm guessing it may just be the one from the AP1 ??? ).

forestgreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Mod Shop expands availability

Post by forestgreen » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:12 am

Sorry for not checking myself (on mobile) but does this mean an option for toggle on the lower bout or is it still only available in the annoying position?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:23 am

No availability in Canada? We always get shafted.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:16 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:23 am
Yeah, WTF Fender?

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:24 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Meh, same old trick of ordering through the US website, shipping to family/buddy stateside then picking up the goodie on a visit.

Still, I don't understand it either. Multiple Canadian retailers including L&M sell and take orders for Custom Shop Fenders so I have no idea why they wouldn't be able to do the same for Mod Shops.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 pm

Wucan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:24 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Meh, same old trick of ordering through the US website, shipping to family/buddy stateside then picking up the goodie on a visit.

Still, I don't understand it either. Multiple Canadian retailers including L&M sell and take orders for Custom Shop Fenders so I have no idea why they wouldn't be able to do the same for Mod Shops.
The stateside buddy trick doesn’t work well for those of us who live in the far reaches of Canada, such as myself.
I’m as far east as it gets on an Island. We have an L&M, but they never stock offsets, besides the odd Squier. Only once did they get a higher level JM; an AmPro in an FSR colour, which was kind of cool. It was white blonde. Sold pretty quick, so I don’t know why they won’t take a risk stocking some other Fender badged offsets.
IDK.
Maybe someday Fender will treat their global next door neighbours a little better, after all we buy a lot of Fenders up here.

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 pm
Wucan wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:

The stateside buddy trick doesn’t work well for those of us who live in the far reaches of Canada, such as myself.
I’m as far east as it gets on an Island. We have an L&M, but they never stock offsets, besides the odd Squier. Only once did they get a higher level JM; an AmPro in an FSR colour, which was kind of cool. It was white blonde. Sold pretty quick, so I don’t know why they won’t take a risk stocking some other Fender badged offsets.
IDK.
Maybe someday Fender will treat their global next door neighbours a little better, after all we buy a lot of Fenders up here.
The funny thing is that even in Toronto, there is really only one store with what can be called a real selection of offsets, and that's Cosmo Music, which is not even technically in Toronto. And even there, you'll find 20 Strats for every Jaguar.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm

bessieboporbach wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Wucan wrote:

IDK.
The funny thing is that even in Toronto, there is really only one store with what can be called a real selection of offsets, and that's Cosmo Music, which is not even technically in Toronto. And even there, you'll find 20 Strats for every Jaguar.
I’m not surprised. Lots of Canadian artists using offsets though, and I’m sure they’d sell well at L&M, if only they’d stock the Fender branded versions.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 pm

Still no Rhythm Circuits on JM’s & Jag’s. No Thinline’s for JM’s, Jags, Tele’s, Strats, Bass’.. No Bigsby’s.. No Coronado’s..

What’s changed?

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:00 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm
bessieboporbach wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:

IDK.
I’m not surprised. Lots of Canadian artists using offsets though, and I’m sure they’d sell well at L&M, if only they’d stock the Fender branded versions.
At least in BC there are a few good choices, got the Paranormal Toronado and a limited Am Performer Mustang at Tom Lee (which seems to always have the Squier offsets and some Vintera/Am pro JMs/Jags in stock) and the Contemporary Jag at Rufus Music. Bordering the Pacific also helps with getting MIJs shipped or finding them second-hand locally.

Which reminds me, Tom Lee had on clearance a bunch of those Parallel Universe Fenders. The Maverick Dorado played so good but I just couldn't get over the Bigsby and the XII headstock.

Zeus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zeus » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:38 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 pm
No Bigsby’s..
Not true!

You can get a Bigsby Tele from the Mod Shop, which is actually pretty cool.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:16 pm

forestgreen wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:12 am
Sorry for not checking myself (on mobile) but does this mean an option for toggle on the lower bout or is it still only available in the annoying position?
According to the preview pictures for Jazzmaster they're still the same configuration as the AP1, somewhat surprisingly - and there's no options to change the layout for the offsets. I guess if you want the toggle down there and the necks and body colours they offer, you've gotta go Custom Shop ($$$$$$), or just go Mod Shop ($$$$) & get a replacement Player or other suitable pickguard, and hook that up after the fact. (Wait... do these have routing there? I forget.)

Actual current available options for Jaguar:
Orientation (L/R), body wood (alder/roasted pine), paint colour (47), neck shape+type (4), fretboard wood (maple/rosewood), tuners (3), pickguard colour (6), pickup/arm tip colour (3), vibrato system (2), strap buttons (standard/locking), string size (9/10).
(deluxe case is included, hardware is chrome, AP1 electronic configuration)

Actual current available options for Jazzmaster:
Orientation (L/R), body wood (alder/roasted pine), paint colour (47), neck shape+type (5), fretboard wood (maple/rosewood), tuners (3), pickguard colour (6), pickups (V-Mod/AVII), pickup/arm tip & knob type/colour (3), vibrato system (2), strap buttons (standard/locking), string size (9/10).
(deluxe case is included, hardware is chrome, AP1 electronic configuration)

Obviously way more options for Strat/Tele. (Jazz & Precision bass don't have a lot of options either)
Last edited by Futuron on Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:21 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Surprising, until you realise that there still isn't even a proper Fender website for Canada. The (non-US) 'North America - English' one is advertising "New for 2022" :whistle:

You guys had better stop apologising and start writing angry letters to newspapers! ;)

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:00 am

I’d quite like a mod shop p bass with a rosewood neck but after specing it out it was £2,200 or something. Think I’ll do a parts build for 1/3 of that instead.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:01 am

Zeus wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:38 pm
Larsongs wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 pm
No Bigsby’s..
Not true!

You can get a Bigsby Tele from the Mod Shop, which is actually pretty cool.
That’s great! That’s a start..

I would like to order a Mod Shop Guitar, but, having only one of the things I mentioned on my list isn’t enough to do it..

Thanks