Jaguar-Bass owners?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Jaguar-Bass owners?

Post by Webrocker » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:40 am

Hi,
any Jaguar-Bass owners out there?
I got g.a.s bigtime. BIG time.
I am used to play a Jazz-Bass, how does the Jag-Bass compare? Does it compare?

thanks for enlightenment...
Tom
look ma, no string-buzz

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar-Bass owners?

Post by DB » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:47 am

I've got one in Hot Rod Red with the matching headstock.  I've been a fan of the Jazz Bass forever, but have played and owned everything across the spectrum including high end stuff.  The build quality and fit and finish are just  great.  The only flaw on mine is a minor dark streak like a small knot about 3/8 inch long  in the maple on the back of the neck near the serial number - it is only a cosmetc flaw in the wood, and doesnt' bother me at all.  I ordered mine online, so if you bought one in person you could check for minor stuff like this.  Not a biggie though. 

It sounds like a Jazz, but you have an active preamp where the Jaguar tone circuit usually goes and it can add a lot of punch for a more modern tone.  There is also a series/parallel switch on the plate where the pickup switches are, which can add variety to your tone as well.  It plays like a Jazz, with simiilar or same neck dimensions, and I personally like the truss rod adjustment at the headstock.  It is way easier for me to do the seasonal tweek with it there.

As you can tell, I like mine a lot and would not part with it. At the US price of $699, I think it is a steal.

It only comes in red and black in the US, though in Japan they have a sunburst version that looks really cool.  Only the red has the matching headstock.  I think they should make them in more colors with the matching headstock - they'd sell a ton of them.  I'd also love a 5-string version with a narrow neck.

If you're a Jazz fan, I think you would be very  happy with the Jaguar bass.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:51 am

Uh-oh....
::)
seems like I have to look for a fund-raising or something...
... thanks alot for the detailed answer!

cheers
Tom
look ma, no string-buzz

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:24 am

I played one a couple months back.. it's a nice bass though I don't personally like or need active electronics, like DB said it plays a lot like a Jazz Bass.  The neck felt better than the used MIM Jazz I ended up buying instead.. only because it was less than 1/3 of the price.

Why wouldn't they match the headstock on black when they did on red  ::)

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:21 am

hmyes... never had a bass with actiive elctronics, never felt the need...
is the Jaguar-Bass active-only? I.e. no batteries, no sound? Or is it still playable "passive"?
thx again
Tom
look ma, no string-buzz

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:36 am

good question  ???

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:39 am

Webrocker wrote: hmyes... never had a bass with actiive elctronics, never felt the need...
is the Jaguar-Bass active-only? I.e. no batteries, no sound? Or is it still playable "passive"?
thx again
Tom
Good question.  I'm at work now doing some computer network maintenance (oh joy!) but when I get home I'll try the Jag Bass without the battery and see what happens.  I'm also not big fan of active electronics, and rarely use the active circuit on the Jag bass. 

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:00 pm

If you were so inclined you could replace the active EQ circuit with anything else to suit... in-built ring mod anyone? light-sensitive sound generator hmm?
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:15 pm

Webrocker wrote: is the Jaguar-Bass active-only? I.e. no batteries, no sound? Or is it still playable "passive"?
OK, I tried to use the Jag bass tonight when I got home without the battery.  With the battery removed, you do get a low level signal.  In my observation, not enough of a signal to be useful.  My preamp and amp are pretty hot signal wise (Ampeg SVP-CL and QSC 2402) and through a couple of Ampeg Portabass 212s, I only got a very low level of volume without the battery in. With the battery in I can take walls down and break glass. Without the battery it is probably not enough of a signal to be useful. 

So, I might actually consider rewiring my Jag Bass so I can have a real passive circuit.  As I previously mentioned, I rarely use the preamp circuit anyway (though I really like how the Jag circuit looks with all the chrome!).

Dan
Last edited by DB on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
IV, V, VI, XII...

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:16 pm

FireAarro wrote: If you were so inclined you could replace the active EQ circuit with anything else to suit... in-built ring mod anyone? light-sensitive sound generator hmm?
Based on my previous comment on my lack of use of the active circuit, this could be a cool idea.  How about an octave divider?

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:09 am

hm.
so... would it be possible to attach the "active" cirquit like the "rhythm" cirquit works for the Jag?
so we have the passive cirquit with the lower controls, the flip switch above the neck pickup switches between "passive" and "active" mode, and the active mode is controlled by the rollerknobs above the strings?
any rocket-scientist around?
:)
look ma, no string-buzz

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that's how it works already?
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:44 pm

FireAarro wrote: I'm pretty sure that's how it works already?
Yes, the switch on the Jaguarbass "rythm" circuit enages the active mode, and then the two thumbwheels control bass & treble.  But based on my test the passive mode still relies on the battery to boost the signal.  I guess what would be useful and I think he meant would be a true bypass so you could send the signal from the pickups directly to the output jack.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:47 pm

Pino Palladino is playing one on the road with the Who.  Sounds killer, even though he doesn't sound like Entwistle.
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:21 pm

DB wrote:I think he meant would be a true bypass so you could send the signal from the pickups directly to the output jack.
thanks for the clarification, yes I meant a true by-pass, no battery-signal for the passive cirquit.
look ma, no string-buzz