New "Good Guitar": Fender Jazzmaster vs. Gibson SG Classic

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New "Good Guitar": Fender Jazzmaster vs. Gibson SG Classic

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:39 pm

haha, brief disclaimer to this one, I know there's going to be a lot of bias in this forum, but I figured i'd try anyway, you all seem like honest blokes with good opinions, so here goes.

Alright everyone, I'm starting to drag together money for my first "really good" guitar. I've never owned an American made guitar and I've lusted over two in particular, but can't for the life of my decide between them. I know they are both completely different animals, so I am honestly stumped as to where to go. These two being (duh, since its this forum) a Fender Jazzmaster, or (the surprise contendor) a Gibson SG Classic.
Now once again, I know that both of these are pretty different. I mean we're talking alder body vs. mahogany, tremelo vs. stop tail, pickup differences, feel differences, etc, but for whatever reason I like them both equally and although one day I would like to own both, but for now, I need to choose. I already own a knockoff SG with humbuckers and a Telecaster, so I feel like I have a decent Fender and Gibson sound, so its not so much filling an existing niche, but perhaps creating a new one.

I play all sorts of music, and i'd really like a versitle axe that I can get nice sounds out of, and both seem capable of it. I dabble in all genres (some reggae, blues, instrumental, whatever) but have a preference towards louder rock and 80s-style underground music.
It's just kind of figuring out pros and cons. My immediate concern has been that the SG Classic out of the box will be ready to roll (although I'd get it a setup), whereas it seems like the jazzmaster may take a bit of work (if I get a japanese one, new pickups to get the actual sound, possibily a modified bridge, etc. etc.).

I just don't know kids, help me out!

thank you all in advance

-steve
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

gogothegogo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New "Good Guitar": Fender Jazzmaster vs. Gibson SG Classic

Post by gogothegogo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:22 am

hi

as you said that are 2 very different beasts.

between gibson SG and fender japan Jazzmaster I would say gibson is better guitar, so If you can find these 2 by the same price buy gibson
(If you would consider fender USA Jazzmaster that would be different story)

but if you enjoy customising your guitars (as I do) fender will be the one to go for

both guitars can do 80'es underground loud rock music but with different feel

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:52 am

buy a strat .....    ;)
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:01 am

i have to say the jazzmaster. you already have an SG, and even though a gibson would be a huge improvement to a knockoff, it wouldn´t give you any new sound possibilities. the jazzmaster would.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:25 am

My two main guitars are an SG and a Jazzmaster, and I agree with Jonas that the JM will give you a whole bunch of new sounds - plus the trems are amazing!

You should get the SG eventually though, the P90's on the classic are great.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:42 am

shit, i didn´t realize the SG classic has p90s. ah well, i still think the jazzmaster would give you more new sounds.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:09 am

Sookwinder - For shame! Sacrelidge!  :o

but yeah, I do love them both, and I agree that the Jazzmaster would probably give me the most interesting array of sounds, I guess I just needed a little convincing :) As I said, eventually I'd like to own both.

I'm just somewhat concerned because I'm more able to try out SG classics around here, and although I've played a few Jazzmasters I've never really gotten to sit down with one so I want to make sure if its everything I want. I just really enjoy the body shape/comfort of it, the loop, how it seems to play... just haven't had a chance to really try the sounds out.

anyone else?

-Steve

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:30 am

I'm going to say get the SG Classic, because it's a better guitar at the price point than a CIJ Jazzmaster (this comes down to electronics and the likelyhood of a decent set-up) and you're already comfortable with the SG layout and concept.  Also, P-90s fucking rock and you can't go wrong with a guitar that's 95% of the axe that's on Live At Leeds.

Or, save your money for a used USA Jazzmaster (AVRI or vintage) and pay for a pro to set it up.  But be prepared for a very different playing experience from what you're used to now.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:22 pm

hmm.. good call on that MaggieO... Live at Leeds is like my benchmark for rock tone too.. I love the Who, I love Townshend very much, he was my first ever guitar hero (before I even really liked music that much!).

drat, things keep getting more complicated.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:50 pm

My $.02...  while I LOVE the way SG's sound—especially with P90s—I find them very unwieldy to play upright an/or on stage.  I fought with an early 70's one for about a year before I finally gave it up for a two hum Tele thinline re-issue (back in 1990?!?).  The neck heavy balance and propensity to tip forward at the same time ultimately drove me crazy.  You can do similar Townshend sounds with a JM but it not really the same.  What the JM would be is a little more versatile and a little more comfortable.  I would tend to agree that the AV is the way to go if you decide JM over SG.  Either way though, cool guitars.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:56 pm

Add a vibrato to your sg, if you don't, you're not welcome here!

kidding.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:07 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:...have a preference towards louder rock and 80s-style underground music.
Jazzmaster, definitely.
stevejamsecono wrote:...Live at Leeds is like my benchmark for rock tone...
SG Classic, undoubtedly.

Does that help?
Thread killer

Yannic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Yannic » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:15 pm

well I'd say go for the jazzmaster. It has greater diversity in tone then the SG. I'm using an upgraded CIJ jazzmaster ( AVRI's are really expensive over here) in a rock band. You can absolutely rock with a jazzmaster, its just a slightly different kind of rock tone then you're standard "Gibson Les Paul ( or SG) through cranked up Marshall" kind of tone.

alpha_serpent
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alpha_serpent » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:23 pm

the thicker sound obiously belongs to the SG. Like you, i never really had the chance to sit down and play a JM before i bought it so after i plugged it in for the first time, it took some time to mess around and get used to the sound. though i do think the neck pup on the JM is a contender for a gibson-esque type sound. it's pretty thick and very mellow. maybe not as full though....

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:01 am

I used to own an SG Special which was my main guitar until I figured out how to set up my Jazzmaster.  Then it spent a lot of time in the case.  I currently own a cheapie Epiphone SG Jr.

A couple things to know about Gibson SGs, stop me if you know this already.

#1: Pretty much all the current production models (with the exception of the '61 Reissue and probably the Angus Young model) have gigantic baseball-bat-sawn-in-half necks.  Some people like these, however once you develop tendinitis the appeal is largely eclipsed by the intense pain in your hand, wrist and forearm.  At least in my personal experience.

#2: As Jay stated above, SGs always want to dive headstock-first toward the floor.  I found it to be a real pain to try to keep the neck in playing position.  I also had issues with mine tilting forward on the strap.  It was almost impossible to play comfortably sitting down, it also felt weird because the bridge was almost in my armpit.

#3: Good god do they sound good with the right pickups, especially P-90s!  I'm tempted to build a 24 3/4 scale all-mahogany T-O-M or wraparound Jazzmaster just to get that sound back.

Generally speaking I have found my Jazzmasters to be much more versatile than an SG.  The JMs don't rock in quite the same way, but they do still rock.  If you go with a JM, I think you'd probably want to change the pickups out whether it's CIJ or AVRI - the AVRI pickups are REALLY bright and twangy with not a whole lot of low end.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance