Pics of the Jerker Starcaster!!! EXTREEEME GUITAR PR0N.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
nealescott
Expat
Expat

Re: Pics of the Jerker Starcaster!!! EXTREEEME GUITAR PR0N.

Post by nealescott » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:04 am

they don't make em like that any more!
apocalypse is happenning.

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:43 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: The previous owner must like heavy strings.  I think they're 12's, but I'm not sure.  I like 10's with plain G.  ::)
That is a good thing! I use nickel .12's on my other offsets.
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks Guys and Gals!

I think it looks better than i though! I'll be afraid of playing it....

If you're interested in how much $$ I payed for the guitar:

$3300 (no more guitars this side of xmas...) I think that is a quite good price - they don't show up that often and when they do - people ask way too much for them.
That with the low dollar compared to the Swedish Krona made it an easy decision (as said - on this side of the pond they cost the double for way more beaten up ones).
I saw the DCFC vid from their rehearsal on YouTube where they had a burst Starcaster that looked really really great - I guess it was that what made me pull the trigger (and the price of course).

I'm surprised there isn't a market for RI's - as there are a buch of "iconic" bands like Radiohead and DCFC playing those - along with bigger acts like the Killers - I mean uglyuglyugly J5 tele have a market, but not these, c'mon.....

:)
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:29 pm

Man, congrats on a SIIIIIIICK guitar.  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

Nolan looks like a mob boss.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:43 pm

B wrote: Man, congrats on a SIIIIIIICK guitar.  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

Nolan looks like a mob boss.
Hey youse guys....Quit makin' fun o me!

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:45 pm

yeah, quit makin' fun of him....or you'll be sleeping with the fish! :D

;)
Resident Spartan.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:45 pm

I'll make you an offer you can't refuse?  ::)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:24 pm

That is a beautiful guitar. Damn it is.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:48 pm

the older brother wrote: I'm surprised there isn't a market for RI's - as there are a buch of "iconic" bands like Radiohead and DCFC playing those - along with bigger acts like the Killers - I mean uglyuglyugly J5 tele have a market, but not these, c'mon.....
Yes, but it's been said before: if Fender want to make a "custom" Tele or Strat, or even a Jazzmaster, they can just add a few options to the basic model. They already make Teles, Strats, and Jazzmasters. They don't make Starcasters, and haven't since the 70s. They'd have to re-make the entire thing from scratch - I seriously doubt they'd have stored any of the tooling and so on, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd lost the blueprints, too. 

There would be a lot of expense in making a semi-solid guitar, even with the bolt on neck. They'd have to pay for the design to be reproduced or recreated, they'd have to tool up for making an archtop semi-solid, they'd have to get the unique hardware, like the bridge, recreated... it would be a big expense before they even made the prototype. With their regular guitars, the most they have to do is re-route an existing design for different hardware, and usually they don't even have to do that.

Even if Fender farmed out the Starcaster to Gretsch (who Fender own, of course) and got the Chinese factories that make those nice cheap Gretsch Electromatics to make a "Starcaster" - they'd still have to spend some money on development. Electromatics are full-follow and have set necks, the Starcaster is semi-solid and has a bolt neck. Quite a different thing to build. And they'd still end up with those "re-issue" WRHPs that are a completely different design and sound nothing like the originals.

If they felt there was enough demand, they might go through the Chinese Gretsch factory, but chances are they'd change enough of the design that all you'd end up with is something that was sort of like a Starcaster. Most people who'd know enough to want a Starcaster would also know enough to want real WRHPs and wouldn't be satisfied with the fakes.

The Tele Thinlines are quite a different thing to the Starcaster design, much easier to build, and the demand is much higher - to the point where plenty of people who don't realise there is a huge difference between genuine WRHPs and the modern fakes will buy them.

Since the original Starcaster was an expensive failure from Fender's point of view, I really don't see them reviving the concept.

But be happy, Jerker; you have a real one coming to you soon.  :D
-=264=-

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 pm

But be happy, Jerker; you have a real one coming to you soon.
Yeah. The demand for Starcasters are almost null in the house of Cavallie...  ;)