Chinese Jazzmaster copy!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Chinese Jazzmaster copy!

Post by spacecadet » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:42 am

Soiouz wrote: But, yes your bluntness opens the door to misinterpretation, and you did it again in this last post (bold in the quote above...).... I'll just leave it there. Peace. 
:)
Well I apologize if I said something to offend you, but I'm not gonna change who I am... and if that sometimes gets me in trouble, so be it :)

We've both been here a while now so I'm sure you've seen plenty of postings from me by now with the same sort of tone, which to me is just the normal way of talking.  Everybody where I am talks like that.

But, I am sorry.  And I'll leave it there as well.
nsnyder6 wrote: Everyone needs to be very, very cautious about buying one of these.  The guy at my local guitar shop was telling me about these.  They are doing most of these copies illegally and if they catch you importing one into the US (not sure about other areas) there is a HUGE fine for it. 
Yeah, this company is quite notorious in the Gibson community, at least.  Gibson has been trying to get them shut down but there's not much they can do, I guess.

I see these guys as basically no different than bootleggers.  That was one of the reasons for my initial criticism.  If you're gonna buy a Jazzmaster copy, just buy a CIJ Jazzmaster instead :)

Though I admit to a sort of morbid curiosity about what the guts of this thing look like.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 am

Given the looks of that copy, I'm sort of on the fence about it....

In one way it's cool in a 60's/70's Japanese copy guitar way, but in another it's not because I could not mod it to come close to a REAL Jazzmaster without some woodworking involved.
It's Me

Finefish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Finefish » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 am

"Förr var det nu fast jävligare desto värre. Men så här jävla sämre har det tamejfan aldrig varit dåligt!" - Refaat El-Sayed -

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 am

nsnyder6 wrote: Everyone needs to be very, very cautious about buying one of these.  The guy at my local guitar shop was telling me about these.  They are doing most of these copies illegally and if they catch you importing one into the US (not sure about other areas) there is a HUGE fine for it.  Apparently they have got their hands on all of Gibson's and some Fenders body designs and everything and are producing really really cheap knock offs and all the companies are PISSED!  Just be wary of what you buy from there. 

You've been warned.
I think the main difference in this case is that the thing doesn't have any Fender trademarks on it, whereas the gibby ones have the Gibson logo inlaid in the headstock. That makes it just another "tribute" guitar, whereas the Gibby ones are actual fakes.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:11 am

That place looks kinda shady, but on the subject of Chinese made guitars overall, I have to say I had one of those Eastwood Sidejack (Mosrite style) models and that thing was pretty killer for the price. Although I did flip it pretty quickly.

spacewhale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacewhale » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:47 am

I think Eastwoods are cool, but theres chinese manufacture of western licenced stuff, then theres this knock off stuff, possibly made by people who have no idea what they're copying.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:36 am

spacecadet wrote:
nsnyder6 wrote: Everyone needs to be very, very cautious about buying one of these.  The guy at my local guitar shop was telling me about these.  They are doing most of these copies illegally and if they catch you importing one into the US (not sure about other areas) there is a HUGE fine for it. 
Yeah, this company is quite notorious in the Gibson community, at least.  Gibson has been trying to get them shut down but there's not much they can do, I guess.

I see these guys as basically no different than bootleggers.  That was one of the reasons for my initial criticism.  If you're gonna buy a Jazzmaster copy, just buy a CIJ Jazzmaster instead :)

Though I admit to a sort of morbid curiosity about what the guts of this thing look like.
On all this, I couldn't agree more!

I'd be curious to see one, to inspect the finish and everything, but I don't actually recommend buying one. I would expect pretty poor quality.

Orang Goreng wrote: I think the main difference in this case is that the thing doesn't have any Fender trademarks on it, whereas the gibby ones have the Gibson logo inlaid in the headstock. That makes it just another "tribute" guitar, whereas the Gibby ones are actual fakes.

Absolutely! The headstock shape is definitely Fender-ish, but with no logo, it's an entirely different story than the Gibson fakes.

nsnyder6
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nsnyder6 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:08 am

Soiouz wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

On all this, I couldn't agree more!

I'd be curious to see one, to inspect the finish and everything, but I don't actually recommend buying one. I would expect pretty poor quality.

Orang Goreng wrote: I think the main difference in this case is that the thing doesn't have any Fender trademarks on it, whereas the gibby ones have the Gibson logo inlaid in the headstock. That makes it just another "tribute" guitar, whereas the Gibby ones are actual fakes.

Absolutely! The headstock shape is definitely Fender-ish, but with no logo, it's an entirely different story than the Gibson fakes.
I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cool to check one out or buy one if they are good.  What I am say is that customs might have an issue with it and might not think its so cool.  I'm just trying to warn people of the possible massive consequences for buying one of these guitars.
Watashi wa ichigo desu. (I am a strawberry.)

ChrisPee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisPee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:36 am

the older brother wrote: I like the "Go Home" button on their site.  ;D

"Hey - if you don't like it - Go Home"

:P
;D ME too, whilst I was looking through the list of options to find some sort of 'prices' list it was like thye were sectretly watching me fumbling around looking for something that wasn't there and were subconciuosly forcing me towards the GO HOME! button.  ;D

Max
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Max » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:48 am

Anyone else loving that they faked the "Jaguar" Strat?  ;D

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:56 am

I want one....bad....Just to see and feel how it plays....
I recently got a Chinese ES-335 copy in a trade and I love it dearly....

Lets hope they'll flood this way....and are inexpensive....
Just too bad the trem is to far aft....But the blocks and binding neck is nice....

Thanks for posting it....
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

ChrisPee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisPee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am

By the way, no response from China yet.

Is it me or does it look like there's no offset-slant in the ass-end :-\ looks like a more symetrical strat-ish tail?

On the subject of cheopo chinese guitars, I blew £41 on a tele copy (about $65/$70 U.S.)
a) because it was a lefty
and
b) 'cos I thought it might actually be okay. And I always wanted the chance to have a go on a Tele shape guitar without having to suffer the endless shop-hunt for one.

The finish is fairly good considering all things, the action was high (but I've found I actually liked it so as I've been writing a song with my band recently with a combo' of picking high up the neck and full on balls-out chord strumming). The intonation was a joke though, but then thats a five minute job on these things. No one has said "what's that piece of cheapo shit standing next to your Jag and Ricky?" or "that sounds like shit" (maybe as I give it the luxury of going through an AC30 ;). But to use that highly hated phrase, at the end of the day, it was only £41.. NEW!

I can always do a rock'n'roll sacraficial trashing of it at a gig? But that would look pretty stupid after my normal "shoegazing" performance previous to such a sudden waking up all angry  ;D

Max
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Max » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am

ohm-men wrote:
Just too bad the trem is to far aft...
Even more space for behind the bridge noizze!  ;D ;D

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:05 pm

Max wrote:
ohm-men wrote:
Just too bad the trem is to far aft...
Even more space for behind the bridge noizze!  ;D ;D
I know, but it will give a lot of string slipage due the very shallow angle of the strings aft of the bridge.
But apparts from that, I'd love to try one....I had good dealings with Chinese guitars so far.
They are cheap and deliver and you dont have to feel bad if they get dinged or trashed....
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

spook
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spook » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Check out these copies... Much more blatant...
www.guitarofchina.com
Microelectronic Design Engineer to the stars