Tremelo Arm: Screw-In vs. Snap-in ??

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tremelo Arm: Screw-In vs. Snap-in ??

Post by FPicker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

As I understand the situation:

The AVRI Jaguars come with snap-in tremelo collets, and from what I've read a lot of the arms just flop down and don't stay where you put them. There are various "rube goldberg" methods people have come up with: (glue, washers, tape, etc)  to try to mitigate what is essentially a defective design, but the one I tried (tape) didn't work, and the others seem dubious or too much trouble.

The Classic Player Jaguar series was intended to "fix" several long-standing frequent  gripes about the model, and one of the changes that was supposed to be included is a screw-in collet, like strats have,  instead of the snap-in.

However, for whatever reason some of the Classic Player Jaguars, including mine, came with the AVRI snap-in collets instead the advertised screw-in.

I am interested in changing out mine to the screw-in, because my trem arm simply will not stay put and keeps flopping down and it is driving me crazy.

But before I did that, I thought I'd check in here. because some people have posted the opinion that the AVRI snap-in was actually preferred and I am "lucky" to have the AVRI version. Funny, at the moment I don't feel lucky. Is there something supposed to be actually "better" about the AVRI snap-in tremelo, vs. the Clasic Player scew-in version? If so, what?  Does the screw-in arm actually work just as well in other respects, but actually stays where one wants it? Or am I likely to have the same problem, or other problems, with the screw-in arm?
Last edited by FPicker on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

-2N3904-
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremelo Arm: Screw-In vs. Snap-in ??

Post by -2N3904- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:34 pm

In my experience you still need to use plumbers tape, non adhesive tape for threads,to make a screw in one stay where you want it to. of course there's a point were screw in ones will stay put but its not always in the right position. I have two screw in strat style ones and neither stay put.

If you have to use the tape I mentioned a snap in arm is better IMO. When I used the arm I used the tape and it stayed where I wanted it to all the time, at least until the tape wore out and needed replacing.

fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fibreman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:32 pm

If you keep playing with it, it'll fall off  :o

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:38 pm

-2N3904- wrote: If you have to use the tape I mentioned a snap in arm is better IMO. 
Why do you think ithe snap-in's better, if you have to use the tape in either case? In what respect would it be better?

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:39 pm

fibreman wrote: If you keep playing with it, it'll fall off  :o
don't understand, sorry. You mean if you tape it the tape will wear out?

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm

The simplest, permanent solution for a snap-in arm is to put a very slight bend in the short straight section that goes into the collet. It will create just enough friction to hold it in place, and will not need any further maintenance. Lots of us use this method.

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:18 pm

The Fender sales  literature for the Classic Player says the following:

"A screw in tremolo arm increases stability and control when executing divebombs. "

Does this make any sense to anyone? What do they mean by this? In what sense does the screw-in increase stability and control?

In the past, when I've finally figured out what they were getting at in a marketing ad claim, it actually made some sense, so I expect this does too.

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 pm

theworkoffire wrote: The simplest, permanent solution for a snap-in arm is to put a very slight bend in the short straight section that goes into the collet.
This seems promising. Does it bend with pliers? sorry to be so specific but I don't want to screw up the arm through trial and error, so: how far from the bottom of the arm do you put the bend, and what angle bend, approximately? Do you bend it such that the arm is lowered, or raised?

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:39 pm

FPicker wrote:
theworkoffire wrote: The simplest, permanent solution for a snap-in arm is to put a very slight bend in the short straight section that goes into the collet.
This seems promising. Does it bend with pliers? sorry to be so specific but I don't want to screw up the arm through trial and error, so: how far from the bottom of the arm do you put the bend, and what angle bend, approximately? Do you bend it such that the arm is lowered, or raised?
it really only needs the tiniest bend - just enough to rub against the side of the collet once it's snapped into place - I just put mine in a vice half way and pulled slightly. Err on the side of caution - you can always bend further but straightening out would be harder. Really, if you can see that it's bent you've done it too far.

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks, if the screw-in is not deemed a better solution- and I can find a vice-  then I will probably try this.

I assume you can still get the arm out again, if you have to, once you've done this, right?
Last edited by FPicker on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 am

You don't really need a vice - just pliers might be fine, any firm hole it will fit into can be used. And yes, there's no change in the function, just a little extra friction in the hole to stop it drooping.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:23 am

I don't have any problems with any of my 4 AVRI trems.  They all stay in, and they all stay in place when I let go.

It sounds like you don't have the arm all the way in.  If that's not the case, the bending trick will work.  Threaded trem arms won't stay in place from my experience.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Glider
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Glider » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:36 am

I don't like the snap in really because it squeaks like crazy... Any ideas? Should I just lube it with something?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 am

Glider wrote: I don't like the snap in really because it squeaks like crazy... Any ideas? Should I just lube it with something?

They definitely do squeak.  It doesn't bother me, but you could get some graphite to put on the arm. 
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Glider
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Glider » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:03 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
Glider wrote: I don't like the snap in really because it squeaks like crazy... Any ideas? Should I just lube it with something?

They definitely do squeak.  It doesn't bother me, but you could get some graphite to put on the arm. 
It doesn't really bother me either, but I can't concentrate on playing while hearing it and it kinda makes me uncomfortable when using the trem.