Tremelo Arm: Screw-In vs. Snap-in ??

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremelo Arm: Screw-In vs. Snap-in ??

Post by crazyzeke » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:50 pm

Ah, the ongoing quest to wring the maximum amount of sustain from our offsets.  A chore I'll never tire of.  :D ;) :P
"Find the one who understands
Why we wait for pain to change us"

- WILLOW, "Symptom Of Life"

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:15 am

FWIW, I wound up switching to the screw-in tremelo, with the little springs underneath.
It all works now, the arm stays where I put it.

the screw-in bridge is exactly the same size as the snap-in, so the change is invisible.
The screw-in arm is about 5/8" shorter, and the tip is pure white instead of off-white on the snap-in.
And, for the moment at least, I can't get the snap-in tip on the screw-in arm. Not sure why, maybe the screw-in arm diameter is a touch bigger at the tip end?

But otherwise it seems good, to me the screw-in arm (with the springs) seems like a big improvement.

Update: ultimately I was able to change the tips. I'd previously changed pickups to ones that had antique white covers, so the antique white tip on the AVRI trem arm goes better thatn the CP "pure white" tip.
Last edited by FPicker on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MIJ-VI
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MIJ-VI » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 am

FPicker wrote:FWIW, I wound up switching to the screw-in tremelo, with the little springs underneath.
It all works now, the arm stays where I put it.

the screw-in bridge is exactly the same size as the snap-in, so the change is invisible.
The screw-in arm is about 5/8" shorter, and the tip is pure white instead of off-white on the snap-in.
And, for the moment at least, I can't get the snap-in tip on the screw-in arm. Not sure why, maybe the screw-in arm diameter is a touch bigger at the tip end?

But otherwise it seems good, to me the screw-in arm (with the springs) seems like a big improvement.
Hi FPicker.

A screw-in trem arm set-up for a Jag/JM/Bass VI? Link please! :)

Thank you.

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:31 am

MIJ-VI wrote: Hi FPicker.

A screw-in trem arm set-up for a Jag/JM/Bass VI? Link please! :)

Thank you.
It's the bridge/ tremelo unit that is supposed to come as original equipment on the Classic Player Jaguar. It is otherwise identical to the AVRI, but it is set up for a threaded arm. That's the way the Classic Player Jaguars are supposed to come, and most of them do, I imagine.

MY CP Jaguar was one of those that came with the "wrong" bridge/ tremelo system, the AVRI, and the arm just flopping around loose just drove me crazy. Tape didn't really hold long, and I didn't want to start bending things to see if they work, etc. So I had my "wrong" bridge/ trem replaced with the units that were supposed to come with the CP Jaguar in the first place. And, to address my specific concerns about the arm flapping, the tech made sure to put in one of the springs that they use to stabilize the strat arms. I am much happier now, it all works.

I don't know whether the CP trem/ bridge units are routinely available aftermarket anyplace to anyone who wants them, or if I was only able to get mine because my guitar was supposed to come with it in the first place.

But if it is available to all takers, I think a lot of players with an AVRI with a floppy arm, and sick of trying to tape some things and bend other things, might ultimately be happier with the CP version. The bridge change is completely invisible, I was concerned about that.

As for "link", this is the best I can do, see "Unique Features" section:

http://www.fender.com/products//view_sp ... 3B+Special" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magnificent studios
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by magnificent studios » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:39 pm

I hated my pop-in AVRI until learning from people here to put a slight bend in the short part of the bar. I broke the stock collet trying to tighten it up then (with a new collet) tried sticking thin strips of plastic, gunking it up with glue, etc., but it would always work itself loose again. Bending the bar seems to have done it though. Without this trick, I would have preferred the screw-in/spring setup.

wardpike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wardpike » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:49 pm

I like the snap-ins on a Jazzmaster or Jag. A little teflon tape and you have it all sorted!

johnnyk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johnnyk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:45 pm

I have a snap-in ('59 thinskin), and I wish it would stay put. It's floppiness definitely restricts my pleasure (if I had a nickel every time I heard that one :jacked: ), but mine seems like it's never coming out again. Hmmmm...

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 am

If anybody did want to make this change, I think this is the Fender Part # you want for the bridge with the Classic Player Special threaded tremelo:

Tremolo Assembly for Classic Series Jaguar Special / Jazzmaster Special
(1) Tremolo Assembly for Classic Series Jaguar Special / Jazzmaster Special
*Raw Unpackaged Part,
Includes Classic Series Threaded Short Tremolo Arm P/N 0077422000,
(Mounting Screws 0015610049, Not Included)