J Mascis Fender Giveaway Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: J Mascis Fender Giveaway Jazzmaster

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm

mtldad wrote:now you've got it...not so much a trash of the "axe: yea, I said "axe"..., but of a defense of why I flipped it...just didn't like it...no one I know even heard of dino jr, so around my area it had almost no value...as far as why enter contests for things you don't like??? to trade them for things you do like...so if any of you win an autographed Iron Maiden Dave Murray Strat, i will feel like you...Rock On
M
This seems a lot more reasonable than the previous posts. I'm completely with you. I probably would have sold it as well. I like Dino Jr okay I suppose, but the Mascis guitar is not me at all, and I'm a Jazzmaster fan boy. I understand you were probably upset after reading the unkind things people were posting, but that's no reason to trash talk Jazzmasters in general. Not for you? That's cool, but we like 'em here. :)

I'm sorry a few folks decided to insult you and give our usually friendly forum a bad name, but your responses were quite rude as well.

Name calling IS NOT allowed here, and I missed this thread, otherwise I'd have dealt with this already.

Everyone involved with the name calling: This is a warning. Any more of it WILL result in a ban, either temporary or permanent. One person in this thread has already been given a week ban from the forum.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:15 pm

eurotrashed wrote:
mtldad wrote:now you've got it...not so much a trash of the "axe: yea, I said "axe"..., but of a defense of why I flipped it...just didn't like it...no one I know even heard of dino jr, so around my area it had almost no value...as far as why enter contests for things you don't like??? to trade them for things you do like...so if any of you win an autographed Iron Maiden Dave Murray Strat, i will feel like you...Rock On
M
But being that this is a global economy with the internet allowing buying and selling all over the globe, and the fact that Dinosaur Jr is one of the most influential indie rock bands ever, it has quite a bit of value. Maybe no one outside of the narrow minded metal community (really, people that like metal are generally narrow minded) never heard of Dino, but there are people that know Dino around you. Especially as you got closer to NYC (You are NY, right?).

Walk in to any crowded guitar shop and ask if anyone there knows who J. Mascis is. I'd bet money less than 5% would know. Just because you're obsessed with Mascis doesn't mean everyone else idolizes him as well.

I'm a Nels Cline fanboy, but I'm aware that nobody outside of music geek forums know who he is. I accept that, and don't take anyone's ignorance as an insult to my "guitar god." ::)

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm not obsessed with J Mascis. I just really dig how he plays and think he is hilarious due to how lethargic he is.

More people know who J Mascis, or at least Dino than you think.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:49 pm

eurotrashed wrote:
Maybe people you know, but I guarantee I could ask 25 random people on the street and none of them have heard of him.

chnlone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chnlone » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:26 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
eurotrashed wrote:
Maybe people you know, but I guarantee I could ask 25 random people on the street and none of them have heard of him.
You'd be equally surprised how many people couldn't name who sings their favorite song, or even what the song is properly called...

As far as signature models go, if you're buying because of the name associated with it, it's simply because you're in that specific niche market, regardless of who it is, other than Eric Clapton. Eric Johnson is catered to a very specific group of people, J Mascis is as well, as are the SY sigs. It'd be no different if they did a Nels Cline or a Johnny Marr sig. I'd imagine there are probably a shit-ton more people that still listen to The Smiths, regularly, or Wilco for that matter, than there are people that have listened to Eric Johnson even once in the last year. Regardless, the only reason they bother to give people like that sigs is because it's another reason to release a different Strat. You look at a smaller guitar store, or even go into a GC and they're going to have 20 different strats and 8-10 different teles. The average person who has very limited music knowledge isn't even going to be able to tell the difference between them. It's all just a matter of aesthetics, and a purple sparkle guitar, regardless of J Mascis, is aesthetically geared towards a VERY VERY specific type of personality.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:41 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
eurotrashed wrote:
It seems people in the age bracket of 27-45 know Dino. Younger hipster looking people know them too. Its all demographics.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:57 am

The wee guy that won the Mascis and then swapped it can't be criticised at all for this. After all Mascis doesn't even play his own signature guitar, something that is in my opinion unforgivable. That would be like me not wanting to wear clothes I designed. Mascis is basically saying to the kids, not good enough for me but good enough for you gullible little kiddywinks. Hey, that's punk as fuck.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

chnlone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chnlone » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:12 am

shadowplay wrote:The wee guy that won the Mascis and then swapped it can't be criticised at all for this. After all Mascis doesn't even play his own signature guitar, something that is in my opinion unforgivable. That would be like me not wanting to wear clothes I designed. Mascis is basically saying to the kids, not good enough for me but good enough for you gullible little kiddywinks. Hey, that's punk as fuck.

D
I think it's possible that from J's perspective, the idea was simply to see if Fender would actually make a purple sparkle guitar. I think it was his intention for no one to actually buy one, or to get less people to. If Fender asked me what I wanted for a signature model I'd tell them I wanted a Magenta Stratocaster with a Jazzmaster tremolo & bridge, with 22.5" scale and an A-width nut. I'd totally play it too, but I would hope that no one else in their right mind would buy one.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:17 am

chnlone wrote:
shadowplay wrote:The wee guy that won the Mascis and then swapped it can't be criticised at all for this. After all Mascis doesn't even play his own signature guitar, something that is in my opinion unforgivable. That would be like me not wanting to wear clothes I designed. Mascis is basically saying to the kids, not good enough for me but good enough for you gullible little kiddywinks. Hey, that's punk as fuck.

D
I think it's possible that from J's perspective, the idea was simply to see if Fender would actually make a purple sparkle guitar. I think it was his intention for no one to actually buy one, or to get less people to. If Fender asked me what I wanted for a signature model I'd tell them I wanted a Magenta Stratocaster with a Jazzmaster tremolo & bridge, with 22.5" scale and an A-width nut. I'd totally play it too, but I would hope that no one else in their right mind would buy one.
No excuse, you either play it or don't do it.

D

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:27 am

D
If you had an assortment of vintage JMs, would you play it either?

He does play it sometimes, he might have played the prototype more before it was stolen.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 am

If you won't play it you shouldn't do it. Honesty would playing one live be such a hardship? With bass and drums and odd venue acoustics I doubt anyone would notice.

As I said, no excuse.

D

goodguytoo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by goodguytoo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:57 am

He plays it some.
Played it on National TV- Jimmy Fallon.
I like the Jumbo Frets and that he kept the 2 circuits.
Color is ok... not as cool as the sonic youth or vintage... but definately J.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:18 am

chnlone wrote:

D

Somehow I doubt that's the case. I'm sure you know what's going on in his mind, and he's just trying to get a laugh out of Fender. ::)

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 am

chnlone wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote:
eurotrashed wrote:
You'd be equally surprised how many people couldn't name who sings their favorite song, or even what the song is properly called...

As far as signature models go, if you're buying because of the name associated with it, it's simply because you're in that specific niche market, regardless of who it is, other than Eric Clapton. Eric Johnson is catered to a very specific group of people, J Mascis is as well, as are the SY sigs. It'd be no different if they did a Nels Cline or a Johnny Marr sig. I'd imagine there are probably a shit-ton more people that still listen to The Smiths, regularly, or Wilco for that matter, than there are people that have listened to Eric Johnson even once in the last year. Regardless, the only reason they bother to give people like that sigs is because it's another reason to release a different Strat. You look at a smaller guitar store, or even go into a GC and they're going to have 20 different strats and 8-10 different teles. The average person who has very limited music knowledge isn't even going to be able to tell the difference between them. It's all just a matter of aesthetics, and a purple sparkle guitar, regardless of J Mascis, is aesthetically geared towards a VERY VERY specific type of personality.

Eric Johnson is pretty much universally known among guitar players. He's in about every third issue of any guitar magazine that's published. Not that I like the guy, but he's well known. Your argument doesn't hold water.

Brock the Mod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Brock the Mod » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:59 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Eric Johnson is pretty much universally known among guitar players. He's in about every third issue of any guitar magazine that's published. Not that I like the guy, but he's well known. Your argument doesn't hold water.
To support that, when I first picked up the guitar one of his signature strats were at GC and I tried out. He is in Guitar Player quiet often too...