Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
wmachine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by wmachine » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 am

I wondered about this too. Seems that either the AVRI is overpriced at $2499 or the JM is underpriced at $1799. Or maybe a little of both? I also think the JM is itself almost an AVRI version. It does have AVRI series serial numbers.[/quote]

It's funny cause in Belgium , it's the opposite ... The JM is around 2300 Euros and the American vintage is more in the 1800 ...[/quote]

I can't understand that at all. If anyone can explain why that is, I'm all ears.
"I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm

amv wrote:Marr and Mascis should team up to create a JMJMJM*.

*Johnny Mascis J. Master Jazzmarr
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 pm

wmachine wrote:I wondered about this too. Seems that either the AVRI is overpriced at $2499 or the JM is underpriced at $1799. Or maybe a little of both? I also think the JM is itself almost an AVRI version. It does have AVRI series serial numbers.
It's funny cause in Belgium , it's the opposite ... The JM is around 2300 Euros and the American vintage is more in the 1800 ...[/quote]

I can't understand that at all. If anyone can explain why that is, I'm all ears.[/quote]

I dont *know* but I suspect the reason is the the PV65 is a vintage spec re-issue and that is 'commanding' a premium like the other PV/Vintage spec guitars. The MarrGuar is - in effect - a Pawnshop Jaguar based on a modified 'vintage-like' example. Swapped pickups - Highly modified wiring - mustang bridge - custom spec - etc..

Anyway - As I mentioned I suspect that the changes make the price point lower. The 'Edge' strat is at about the same price point as the MarrGuar and has some similar mods and would would be cheaper than a similar PV strat if Fender made a PV 74 strat.

But - Basically - The MarrGuar is probably the best modern Jaguar that fender produces

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:19 pm

"Serial number V210787 does come up as a Johnny Marr Jaguar® Limited Edition (Black), completed 06/2016. We did 600 of them."

This explains why there are so many of them floating around...

But $1200 is a great price for this guitar.

wmachine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by wmachine » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 am

gutter rock wrote:I am just not buying into this 200 or less being made rumor. Fender's website shows all three colors as options and makes no mention of the green being limited edition. Now, we have all heard this will be limited and I don't doubt that it might be true, but just 200? No way, I don't see it. I believe there will be subsequent batches made until the demand dies down and then Fender will discontinue the color. It also doesn't appear that Fender has put any documentation with the guitar that it is a limited run instrument, nor is there a limited edition neckplate. If Fender has already sold 200 of these things before the vast majority have even been seen, it just makes no business sense to stop just yet. Just trying to offer hope to those who are having a hard time getting one, I have no inside knowledge or true facts to back this up!
egosheep wrote:I agree with gutter rock. The fact that it's just listed on their website as one of the standard colours makes no sense if it's a one-off thing.
Comments from Oct 2014 re the Sherwood Green. Goes to show you what we may think would be the case often isn't. What evolved from that point was that the SG color was indeed limited and it disappeared after it's run. But what *did* happen was another run of a limited edition color, that being black. And a now known run of 600 of those.
So Fender will respond to the market. But it doesn't mean they will renege on a limited run of one color. They simply make a limited run of another color.
Honestly, that makes more marketing sense to me than making more of the original limited edition color. For a number of reasons.
And neither are/were listed on the Fender site as being "Limited Edition". But retailers did call the black Limited Edition, and writing to Fender confirmed it was/is Limited Edition.
"I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 am

pineder wrote:https://www.adorama.com/fe0116400706.ht ... flaid62905

$600 off on the black version!
This sale must be over. I clicked on the link and it's back at 1799.99. Does it drop to $1200 once you sign in? Seems to me that these are going to be blown out soon at other places after seeing how many are out there for sale.

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 am

I think the declaration of "limited edition" is misleading for a lot of people. They're just doing small production runs of certain colors (so they are "limited"), in addition to KO and OLY. It's not like a special FSR or limited edition model guitar. I agree with whoever said this makes more sense than how fender usually does colors. It's kinda like how they'd mix up the '62 AVRI color offerings every year. Production of sherwood green '62 AVRI JMs was certainly "limited."

Btw, i got a black one from adorama a while back during a similar sale for $1299. Maybe it was $1200. I don't remember. I was gonna flip it, but as soon as I played it I fell in love. It's my favorite guitar now. Whoops!

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 pm

pocaloc wrote:

This sale must be over. I clicked on the link and it's back at 1799.99. Does it drop to $1200 once you sign in? Seems to me that these are going to be blown out soon at other places after seeing how many are out there for sale.
I meant it seems like the black one in particular is overstocked. Wilcutt guitars has 13 of them. Wildwood has six. It seems like there are nearly 30 new ones on Reverb. I think they look awesome. I'm going to save up and try and make a deal because of the surplus of these on the market.

wmachine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by wmachine » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 am

wmachine wrote:

I still have to go through all the posts on this thread, and that will take some time! Interesting going through the first few pages, though. There were a lot of doubters in the beginning I saw. Just goes to show you the validity of forum "opinions".

I popped for this offering on the $1200 sale. Price matched GC online ($1199.99 out the door), so I have 45 days to evaluate at home and can take it back to the local store if I decide not to keep it.
So far, I don't think that is likely. I decided to buy this as an opportunity to expand on the types of guitars I have. I bought it for what it is, not that it is a Johnny Marr signature guitar. I'm learning more about JM, but have not been a fan of that style of music. I think that lets me be even more objective about the guitar itself.

I wrote to Fender for specs. They said there were 600 of the "Limited Edition" black ones made.
The rest of the specs:

"Serial number V210787 does come up as a Johnny Marr Jaguar® Limited Edition (Black), completed 06/2016. We did 600 of them."

Model Name: Johnny Marr Jaguar® Limited Edition (Black)
Model Number: 0116400706
Series: Artist Series
Colors: (0116400706) Black,
(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Body: Alder
Neck: Maple, Custom Shape Based on Johnny's '65 Jaguar,
(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)
FRETS: 22 Vintage Style Frets
Scale Length: 24” (610 mm)
Nut: Synthetic Bone Nut, 1.650” (42 mm)
Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
Machine Heads: Fender®/Gotoh® Vintage Style Tuning Machines
Bridge: Jaguar® Bridge with Mustang® Saddles and American Vintage “Floating” Tremolo Tailpiece with a Taller Trem Arm, a Nylon Sleeve to Prevent Arm Swing and a Tremolo Lock Button
Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
Pickups: 2 Custom Wound Bareknuckle Johnny Marr Single-Coil Jaguar Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
Pickup Switching: 4-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups (In Parallel)
Position 3. Neck Pickup
Position 4. Neck and Bridge Pickups (In Series)
Two 2-Position slide Switches:
Universal Bright Switch,
Bright Switch for Blade Switch Position 4 Only
Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Strings: Fender® USA Super 250R, NPS, P/N 0730250006, (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046)
Case: Deluxe Black/Silver Hardshell Case with Blue Interior, P/N 0093390000
Unique Features: Johnny Marr’s Signature on Front of Headstock,
Custom Wound Pickups,
Signature on front of Headstock,
60’s Styling,
Nylon Bridge Post Inserts for Improved Stability,
Nylon Insert in Trem Arm Sleeve to Prevent Arm Swing,
"Taller" Trem Arm,
Chrome Barrel Switch Tip,
Vintage-Style Black Plastic Jazz Bass® Knobs
Source: U.S.
Accessories: Case, Strap, Cable, Polishing Cloth, Chrome Bridge Cover, Set of Flatwound Strings, a Booklet that Details the Unique Differences Between The Johnny Marr and a Vintage Jaguar. (The First 300 Booklets Will be Autographed by Johnny.
U.S. MSRP: $1,749.99
INTRODUCED: 7/2016
WRENCH SIZES: Bridge Height Adjustment Wrench, (5/64” Hex), P/N 0061446000
Now available in this limited edition color option.
Just thought I'd report in now that my "45 day evaluation" has ended. I've decided to keep it. Unfortunately, I've had little time to play it enough to get a real good feel for it. But I'm convinced its a good one. Any hesitation to keep it has only come from my personal situation where this is not a mainstream guitar for me. But considering:
mekhem wrote:.....................But - Basically - The MarrGuar is probably the best modern Jaguar that fender produces
I feel this is an excellent guitar to represent the offsets for me. Even at $1200, it is a fair amount to have in a guitar that won't be a main player for me. But I'm afraid I may later regret not keeping it for many reasons. And if my playing moves me in that direction, I'll have it covered. I find no fault with this Jag at all.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 am

Has anyone heard anything about any new colors on the Marr Jaguar? I love the specs on the guitar, but I'm not crazy about any of the currently available colors.

I'd love to see a Charcoal Frost Metallic version.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:14 am

Meriphew wrote:
I'd love to see a Charcoal Frost Metallic version.

You are not alone there.....

They seem to come out every 2 years - so it will likely be next year before before they announce a new color.

TheSurfer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheSurfer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 pm

A Charcoal Frost would be good.

bacongrease
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacongrease » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 am

I need an orange one.

jchull
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jchull » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 am

It's silly that they didn't put a tort guard on the black one, since JM has one like that. Decoboom red tort guard fits perfectly. I nearly didn't scoop one up during that last sale, glad I did.

audiopablo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by audiopablo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:57 am

anyone heard of the Johnny Marr coming with a black G&G instead of blue? Looking at picking up a backup, but the one for sale has a black interior G&G.