Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mywhitenoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by mywhitenoise » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am

Thebestguitaristever wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm
mywhitenoise wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 am
Thebestguitaristever wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 am
Probaly going to get a mastery bridge, because it seems, with shipping, it wouldnt be much more than the staytrem.
The Mastery is clsoe to $200, right? I think the staytrem is around $90 shipped. Did you have to buy the case for $200?
Yeah at a 100 difference, ill probaly go staytrem...i have a mastery on my tele so i was inclined as such.

I paid 860 for the guitar and 240 for the case.

For once i feel like i got a really good deal at guitar center!

Fwiw I tried to buy just the guitar but they wouldnt doit! Lol Obviously glad I got the case, what with it bein so sexy and all!
Don't get me wrong, $1100 is a decent price for this guitar, but it's pretty slimy they charged $240 for the case and that you couldn't buy the guitar without it. The case comes standard with the Johnny Marr.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 am

I picked this one up out of curiosity, and it is trouble. The trouble being that I really like it but probably don't need another Jag. So many sounds...I'm very tempted to pull the wiring from the '66 beater that I use for practice/shows (non-original pickups), and wire up a Marr harness. That green though!

Subotnik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subotnik » Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Gavanti wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 am
I picked this one up out of curiosity, and it is trouble. The trouble being that I really like it but probably don't need another Jag. So many sounds...I'm very tempted to pull the wiring from the '66 beater that I use for practice/shows (non-original pickups), and wire up a Marr harness. That green though!

I rarely ever see the Sherwood Green on Reverb. That’s a score!

And the blue one is a beauty. What’s the story on that one?

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Subotnik wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm
I rarely ever see the Sherwood Green on Reverb. That’s a score!

And the blue one is a beauty. What’s the story on that one?
The blue is a '68 A-neck I lucked into with a local seller. It's definitely my favorite.

Subotnik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subotnik » Sat May 05, 2018 1:25 am

They actually have a blue 50th Anniversary Jag on Reverb right now but it’s full of drill holes in the body. Still, it’s listed for $1,500. If it wasn’t for all the holes I’d consider it. It’s a beauty.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Even though it had its own refin post a while back, here's some pics of my Johnny Marr Sig Jag refin'd in Fiesta Red with a Spitfire tort guard for this awesome thread:

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Subotnik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subotnik » Sun May 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Snorre wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:13 pm
Even though it had its own refin post a while back, here's some pics of my Johnny Marr Sig Jag refin'd in Fiesta Red with a Spitfire tort guard for this awesome thread:

Wow! That’s a beautiful collection. I really like the refinish jobs. They look great. The blue sparkle is amazing. I wish Fender would put out a Jag with a finish like that, but they seem to be fairly conservative in their color schemes.

How does a refinish affect resale value? I imagine it could go either way.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun May 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Subotnik wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:13 pm
Snorre wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Wow! That’s a beautiful collection. I really like the refinish jobs. They look great. The blue sparkle is amazing. I wish Fender would put out a Jag with a finish like that, but they seem to be fairly conservative in their color schemes.

How does a refinish affect resale value? I imagine it could go either way.
Thanks! For vintage gear, from what I've seen, it seems to bring down the value. That's really the only way I was able to buy the '62 Blue Sparkle Jag. I've since traded that one away to a fellow OSG'er because the neck was just too slim for my big hands. I recently acquired (see my post in the Vintage section) a refinished Oly White w/ matching headstock '63 Jag with a wonderfully chunkier neck (mid '60s C). Again, only because the refin work brought the price down to a price I could afford. As for my personal refin jobs (well, my tech's work), the Shell Pink refin'd Squier J Mascis JM and the refin'd Fiesta Red Johnny Marr Jag are definite keepers (the Johnny Marr is my #1 modern guitar).

Subotnik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subotnik » Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Snorre wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:17 pm

As for my personal refin jobs (well, my tech's work), the Shell Pink refin'd Squier J Mascis JM and the refin'd Fiesta Red Johnny Marr Jag are definite keepers (the Johnny Marr is my #1 modern guitar).
Since we’re on the topic of the Marrguar, what makes it your favorite modern guitar? I’m considering getting one, but I’m not sure if I love the low output pickups. I must say the series mode sounds great though. Any thoughts on how the pickups compare to vintage reissue models? Or how they sound with some distortion?

edwardskim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by edwardskim » Sun May 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Subotnik wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm
Snorre wrote:

As for my personal refin jobs (well, my tech's work), the Shell Pink refin'd Squier J Mascis JM and the refin'd Fiesta Red Johnny Marr Jag are definite keepers (the Johnny Marr is my #1 modern guitar).
Since we’re on the topic of the Marrguar, what makes it your favorite modern guitar? I’m considering getting one, but I’m not sure if I love the low output pickups. I must say the series mode sounds great though. Any thoughts on how the pickups compare to vintage reissue models? Or how they sound with some distortion?
For me personally, it's my favorite modern guitar ever... but only if I have more than the MarrGuar in my stable. The low output pickups are generally what gets people selling them (from what I've seen and read) but honestly, it didn't bother me that much. They sound amazing with some drive. I don't know about anything truly distorted but go listen to some Johnny Marr's stuff. A lot of his solo work contains many dirty/driven sounds with the Jaguar and they sound killer. Punchy, clear, and with attitude as he would put it. They're also the best bang for the buck Jaguar IMO. I've gotten them used on Reverb for as cheap as $875 (yes, really!). They go on sale for $1000-1300 all day. Except the ever elusive Sherwood Green of course.

Subotnik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subotnik » Mon May 07, 2018 12:50 am

edwardskim wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:22 pm
Subotnik wrote:
Snorre wrote:

For me personally, it's my favorite modern guitar ever... but only if I have more than the MarrGuar in my stable. The low output pickups are generally what gets people selling them (from what I've seen and read) but honestly, it didn't bother me that much. They sound amazing with some drive. I don't know about anything truly distorted but go listen to some Johnny Marr's stuff. A lot of his solo work contains many dirty/driven sounds with the Jaguar and they sound killer. Punchy, clear, and with attitude as he would put it. They're also the best bang for the buck Jaguar IMO. I've gotten them used on Reverb for as cheap as $875 (yes, really!). They go on sale for $1000-1300 all day. Except the ever elusive Sherwood Green of course.
Thanks! Interesting thoughts on the pups. Johnny Marr in his Smiths iteration is not known for a lot of dirt, but good point about his later stuff. The JM Jaguars definitely look like a steal on Reverb. I’m just not sure if I should go for an AV65 for slightly more cash. They get rave reviews and have hotter pickups, but the JM is also quite popular.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 am

for a couple weeks, I had both my Marr partscaster and a MIM lacquer jag(which has the same '65 pickups)
There was a drastic difference between them. The '65 pickups were much hotter, which some people love, but I thought it sounded too much like my 70's strat.
I haven't heard a Jaguar anywhere that I liked as much as the JM version. Mostly, it's probably the wiring, but the bareknuckle pickups are really good.
the only downside is, if all the 'bright' switches are on, and i accidently plug it into the 'bright' input on my JC-120, only dogs can hear it.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

edwardskim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by edwardskim » Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 am
for a couple weeks, I had both my Marr partscaster and a MIM lacquer jag(which has the same '65 pickups)
There was a drastic difference between them. The '65 pickups were much hotter, which some people love, but I thought it sounded too much like my 70's strat.
I haven't heard a Jaguar anywhere that I liked as much as the JM version. Mostly, it's probably the wiring, but the bareknuckle pickups are really good.
the only downside is, if all the 'bright' switches are on, and i accidently plug it into the 'bright' input on my JC-120, only dogs can hear it.
What's your Marr Partscaster consist of?

Honestly, I LOVE the AVRI 65 pickups so much. But there are just some elements of the Bareknuckles that I can't find anywhere else. I would definitely go watch that video and maybe try to play on a Jag with 65 pickups vs. the Marr before deciding (to the OP who asked about getting the Marr).

edwardskim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by edwardskim » Mon May 07, 2018 8:59 am

Subotnik wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:50 am
edwardskim wrote:
Subotnik wrote:

Thanks! Interesting thoughts on the pups. Johnny Marr in his Smiths iteration is not known for a lot of dirt, but good point about his later stuff. The JM Jaguars definitely look like a steal on Reverb. I’m just not sure if I should go for an AV65 for slightly more cash. They get rave reviews and have hotter pickups, but the JM is also quite popular.
If you're finicky about color like me, (partial to OLY White, Sherwood Green, Shoreline Gold, Inca Silver), the Johnny Marr satisfies that itch. You can also buy a set of 65 AVRI pickups and put it in the Marrguar and experiment. You would still be at least a couple hundred under what you'd probably pay for an AVRI65Jag

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon May 07, 2018 10:17 am

edwardskim wrote:

If you're finicky about color like me, (partial to OLY White, Sherwood Green, Shoreline Gold, Inca Silver), the Johnny Marr satisfies that itch. You can also buy a set of 65 AVRI pickups and put it in the Marrguar and experiment. You would still be at least a couple hundred under what you'd probably pay for an AVRI65Jag
I ended up puttting Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups in the JM Jag. The stock Bareknuckle pickups aren't bad, but I prefer the PV '65 pickups for surf. I'll for sure make use of the Bareknuckle pickups in a future project.