Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by mediocreplayer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 am

^^^ How is that photo 52mm? :unsure:

jmsrsstr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jmsrsstr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:17 am

From the high E groove to the low E groove. String spacing is 52mm, not the full width of the bridge.

86runner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 86runner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:46 am

I posted this in the Mods & Projects section, but I thought I'd post it here too:

I had a Kandy Orange Marr a few years ago and sold it off. Decided that was a bad idea because I loved the color, pickups, etc. Fast forward to a few months ago. I decided I'd try to get another one, then the old rusty gears started turning. I decided I'd just build one instead. I sourced a loaded Kandy Orange body (Stratosphere), picked up a Staytrem bridge for it and had Musikraft build me a B&B .90 - .99 neck. I love B&B and thick necks, so I thought to myself, why not build it exactly like I want it? I tinted and finished the neck in nitro, and had Spitfire make me a guard. Strangely, I had to buy an oversized TUSQ XL blank for it and make a nut from scratch as the nut slot was a little deeper than normal. No big deal. Typically I just buy pre-slotted XL nuts and roll on. Anyway, finally buttoned it up a couple of days ago. It's FANTASTIC. Of all the guitars I've built, which is maybe around 25 or so at this point, this one came together easiest of any of them. It's like the parts wanted to be a guitar! Anyway, pic below.

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:12 pm

I never really got that excited about KO, but that is one beautiful JAG! I really like it - very well done.....big congrats! What did you use for pickups?

Always-Ben
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Always-Ben » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 pm

So if I understand this right, there aren’t really going to be anymore new LPB’s? Am I going to have to find used only? I don’t have the cash right now but I will in January, fear all the brand new ones will be gone by then :/

arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arkivel » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 pm

jmsrsstr wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 am
Seems like everyone's figured out the new LPB Marr bridge is 52mm, bit just to clear things up once and for all, here's a photo of my new LPB Johnny Marr Jaguar bridge against a ruler. Can confirm it's 52mm.
mines bigger

deanaxler
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by deanaxler » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:39 pm

Always-Ben wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 pm
So if I understand this right, there aren’t really going to be anymore new LPB’s? Am I going to have to find used only? I don’t have the cash right now but I will in January, fear all the brand new ones will be gone by then :/
I think there's a good chance you'll still be able to find a new one in January.

According to Reverb, Chicago Music Exchange still has 12 in stock, and they seem to be selling somewhat slowly. Also, I'm still seeing plenty of other new listings on eBay and Reverb as well.

If you can't find one new, I'm sure it'll be easy enough to find a used one in great shape.

Peckhammer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Peckhammer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:58 pm

I just took delivery of a JM Jaguar. The decals look like they were put on top of the lacquer finish, i.e., not painted over with clear lacquer and buried. Thee's a bubble in the Fender "F." Suggestions on how to get it to lay down flat?

stinkfinger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stinkfinger » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:25 pm

jmsrsstr, in the parts booklet that came with your LBP Marr (similar to this booklet), would you mind checking the part number for that 52mm bridge? I'm hoping to order one as a retrofit to my earlier KO Marr, and Fender Support claims no change was made.
jmsrsstr wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 am
Seems like everyone's figured out the new LPB Marr bridge is 52mm, bit just to clear things up once and for all, here's a photo of my new LPB Johnny Marr Jaguar bridge against a ruler. Can confirm it's 52mm.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:54 am

stinkfinger wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:25 pm
jmsrsstr, in the parts booklet that came with your LBP Marr (similar to this booklet), would you mind checking the part number for that 52mm bridge? I'm hoping to order one as a retrofit to my earlier KO Marr, and Fender Support claims no change was made.
The part number for the LPB Marr guitar (not the bridge) is 0116400702, ie part of the same series as all the earlier Marrs (0116400XXX). I have not seen nor would I expect to see a separate technical manual for the LPB Marr, like the original Marr document you linked. But if Fender has changed the bridge's saddle width for the LPB Marr - as they appear to have done - one would think there would be a new part number for that bridge, at least internally. After all, how would the production line know what bridge to install on the LPB Marr if it does not have its own part number ? But that part number, if it exists, remains a mystery. An alternative possibility is that the new 52mm version is now the 'official' Marr bridge and as such has assumed the old part number (0091905000).
But no one has reported ever being able to buy the original Marr bridge through official aftermarket channels, let alone the LPB one. And you are the first to report that Fender actually denies that the LPB bridge is different to the original one. But did they say they would sell you a Marr bridge ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:18 am

timtam wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:54 am
stinkfinger wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:25 pm
The part number for the LPB Marr guitar (not the bridge) is 0116400702, ie part of the same series as all the earlier Marrs (0116400XXX). I have not seen nor would I expect to see a separate technical manual for the LPB Marr, like the original Marr document you linked. But if Fender has changed the bridge's saddle width for the LPB Marr - as they appear to have done - one would think there would be a new part number for that bridge, at least internally. After all, how would the production line know what bridge to install on the LPB Marr if it does not have its own part number ? But that part number, if it exists, remains a mystery. An alternative possibility is that the new 52mm version is now the 'official' Marr bridge and as such has assumed the old part number (0091905000).
But no one has reported ever being able to buy the original Marr bridge through official aftermarket channels, let alone the LPB one. And you are the first to report that Fender actually denies that the LPB bridge is different to the original one. But did they say they would sell you a Marr bridge ?
Fender does not sell separately any parts that are specific to signature models. When I was a guitar salesman I had called a parts person (not a customer service person) at Fender about something and before I got off the phone I asked about the chrome 4-way blade PU selector plate on the Marr (this is soon after it had first come out). He said they don't have part numbers and aren't for sale and they don't sell signature model parts. He was a Fender old-timer and was kinda cranky about it.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

stinkfinger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stinkfinger » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 am

Yah, I would suspect that the 52mm bridge is a model year change rather than specific to the LPB color, so when I contacted Fender Support I asked for the "new Marr Jaguar bridge revised for either 2018 or 2019", rather than "the LPB color Marr bridge".

I should clarify that the support rep didn't flatly deny any change to the bridge, rather their "system" doesn't show any change- so perhaps the change just hasn't made it into the "system" yet.

I did not ask specifically if I could purchase the bridge... assuming that I could.
timtam wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:54 am

jmsrsstr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jmsrsstr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:04 pm

@stinkfinger - not sure what parts booklet you're referring to. There were a few books and sheets in mine, but no list of parts. The below is the closest thing.

Also worth nothing that one of them was out of date anyways - said it was available in white or KO Orange and that was it. So not sure you can trust the printouts anyways. The one below says 2011(!).

No sign of a part number on the bridge either - just an M on the underside.

https://i.imgur.com/E7AT5Y1_d.jpg

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:35 pm

vistavision wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:18 am
Fender does not sell separately any parts that are specific to signature models. When I was a guitar salesman I had called a parts person (not a customer service person) at Fender about something and before I got off the phone I asked about the chrome 4-way blade PU selector plate on the Marr (this is soon after it had first come out). He said they don't have part numbers and aren't for sale and they don't sell signature model parts. He was a Fender old-timer and was kinda cranky about it.

Thanks for that. Interesting policy. What happens if you break something specific to your signature model ? ;)

There have been exceptions though. Ironically with the Marr. Both Marr switch plates are available as official Fender parts from Darren Riley. And those plates always had part numbers AFAIK, even before Riley had them in stock. The bottom switch plate is no longer specific to the Marr though as it is now on the Am Pro too.
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 091903000/
But the upper switch plate is still only on the Marr.
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-jo ... 091893000/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:47 pm

stinkfinger wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 am
I did not ask specifically if I could purchase the bridge... assuming that I could.
Someone really needs to try to actually buy one. ;) Original part number (hopefully now 52mm) ....
BRIDGE ASSY JOHNNY MARR JAGUAR 0091905000
Either from Fender or Darren Riley, who seems to be good at chasing down parts (or maybe Angela). And I would trust Riley more than Fender to verify that it is 52mm.

And if anyone has any influence with Fender, a 9.5" radius version would be nice too !
Last edited by timtam on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.