Jazzmaster for Blues?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
kypdurron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster for Blues?

Post by kypdurron » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 am

in the neck position, my JM gives me all the dark, sustained notes I could ask for. in that aspect, it's much more versatile than, let's say, an Esquire. If you got a problem with vintage style radius, there is plenty of alternatives, like the classic player or thin skin series.
"When we built the Stratocaster we thought that was the world's greatest guitar. Then we said let's make something even better - so we built the Jazzmaster"
(Freddie Tavares, Fender R&D 1953-1985)

dougie-d
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougie-d » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:21 am

I love this forum. Everybody here is alot more positive about these guitars (then again, it is dedicated to offsets :P). i see way too many people on youtube saying "JMs and Jags are only for surf and grunge" and "the bridge is terrible" and "the vibrato throws my guitar out of tune" Im saving up for a JM now, and I'll determine how it works for me. Thanks for the help everybody.
Look into my eyes and you will see my soul, the essence of the sun, the light that makes me whole.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:23 pm

dougie-d wrote:I love this forum. Everybody here is alot more positive about these guitars (then again, it is dedicated to offsets :P). i see way too many people on youtube saying "JMs and Jags are only for surf and grunge" and "the bridge is terrible" and "the vibrato throws my guitar out of tune" Im saving up for a JM now, and I'll determine how it works for me. Thanks for the help everybody.
Careful now, you might be one of those haters once you get a Jazzmaster for yourself. But don't worry! There's nothing better and more stable than a well set-up Jazzmaster bridge and vibrato. Pretty much the only vibrato I've come across that has stayed in tune with so much abuse.

dougie-d
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougie-d » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:31 pm

StevenO wrote:
dougie-d wrote:I love this forum. Everybody here is alot more positive about these guitars (then again, it is dedicated to offsets :P). i see way too many people on youtube saying "JMs and Jags are only for surf and grunge" and "the bridge is terrible" and "the vibrato throws my guitar out of tune" Im saving up for a JM now, and I'll determine how it works for me. Thanks for the help everybody.
Careful now, you might be one of those haters once you get a Jazzmaster for yourself. But don't worry! There's nothing better and more stable than a well set-up Jazzmaster bridge and vibrato. Pretty much the only vibrato I've come across that has stayed in tune with so much abuse.
Even if I hated the bridge, I can always throw a mustang bridge in there. But they sound and look sooooo good, I cant picture myself becoming a hater.
Look into my eyes and you will see my soul, the essence of the sun, the light that makes me whole.

Bandarra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bandarra » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:33 am

dougie-d wrote:tube saying "JMs and Jags are only for surf and grunge" and "the bridge is terrible" and "the vibrato throws my guitar out of tune" Im saving up for a
most of the things written on the net about jazzys and jags are possibly from people wich never played none of those guitars. How can anyone say this guitars have not tuning stability? I rarely have to touch my tuners and use the trem a lot. And i dont play neither surf or grunge.
Now i have a mustang bridge wich had a lot of sustain and remove some of the attack (im talking about a avri jag), but the previous brigde never gave me a single problem neither.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 am

46346 wrote:... i am somehow finding myself very blues and afro-beast inspired on it -
haha - i meant 'afro-beat'... though perhaps i am forging a new genre with the JM...
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

Fenderbassman...man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fenderbassman...man » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Magic slim and Eddie Campbell both were jazzmaster players. Magic slim is won completely changed my idea of what a jazzmaster could do playing blues and i bought one after listening to many clips of his and loving the tone he would get out of those post 66 jazzmasters he typically used.

But as somebody who plays blues. Blues can be played on any guitar. It isn't ffee guitar that masked the blues it's the soul of the man playing the guitar. I'm sure slim used it cause they were out of fashion making him stand out they sounded really good and above all ECONOMICAL.

Fenderbassman...man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fenderbassman...man » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Magic slim and Eddie Campbell both were jazzmaster players. Magic slim completely changed my idea of what a jazzmaster could do playing blues and i bought one after listening to many clips of his and loving the tone he would get out of those post 66 jazzmasters he typically used.

But as somebody who plays blues. Blues can be played on any guitar. It isn't the guitar that makes the blues it's the soul of the man playing the guitar. I'm sure slim used it cause they were out of fashion making him stand out they sounded really good and above all ECONOMICAL.

armyofbees
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armyofbees » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 am

FWIW I put a Buzz Stop on my MIJ lefty Jazzmaster w/ 7.25" radius board, along with a staytrem bridge. Bends are a breeze now!

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Pretty sure this guy’s playing was rooted in the Blues ::)