Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I would like to re-register my desire for pics of the red one. Lots of pics. and more of the green one. and some pics of the two together.

looking all glossy...

:shifty:

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:25 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:I would like to re-register my desire for pics of the red one. Lots of pics. and more of the green one. and some pics of the two together.

looking all glossy...

Just for you, boo. The red one's bridge went missing in shipping and I've been trying to figure out what kind it is exactly. Perhaps I'll snap a pic of the blue one's and see if you guys could help identify it for me...

In other news, I still haven't heard back from Tim which is a shame, I'd love for him to get one of his beauties back.

Mecler
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mecler » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:13 pm

These have such a great design. I'm really jealous.
Burn the South.

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 pm

I read the story at facebook and have a little twist on the part where the guitar is presented at the Nirvana show.

A friend of mine was playing in the support band and he told me this story first hand. He was there when it happened.I rate him as a very reliable source. According to him, the guitar builder came backstage to present the Mercury guitar to Kurt Cobain who said "oh, man that's a very nice guitar - but I'm sorry, I am left handed!". Courtney Love was also In the backstage room and said "I'll take it".

And that's how it happened...

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Holy Moly. Finally after ten years of internet searching. It's me Tim and a humbled one after the kind words posted about our guitars. Sheesh. I am shaking while I post this. I got a lead on the Ebay sale after the bidding ended on the red one. We sent numerous EBAY messages to no avail to the seller who lives in Sevierville Tennessee. (Amazingly the same small town that a friend of mine now lives in who helped us with the guitars in Atlanta!!!!) What can I say? This is truly amazing. This guitar was the first design Concept I ever had and it went into production by fender. This was heavy stuff for an 18 year old. Danny and I are planning limited runs of them in the future as he lives close to me now in Denver. I am still designing like crazy along the same concept of the Mercury (Classic Aesthetic with improved function. If anyone is bored check them out at sculptrite.blogspot.com

As far as acquiring one, I am staggered at the prospect. Could this happen? Is this real? Let me know. I have a two and a half year old son who will never believe the story if I never have one hanging in my design gallery. No pressure of course. They are yours (if you still have them). If not. Let me know where they went PLEASE!!! Here is my EMAIL address. clickeye@hotmail.com

Once again I am truly flattered by the comments on this Post.- Tim

cauger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cauger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:29 am

That red one speaks to me; very cool of you to give one of these back to the designer!

croatan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by croatan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:26 am

yeah this will be like pay it forward, but more like pay it backward!

we could publish this thread and the Lee Ranaldo gear thread in a zine!
"To you whose souls are lured by noise to every treacherous abyss, for you do not feel for a rope like cowards, and where you can guess you hate to calculate. And where others would poison, you dismember." -Nietzche/Nation of Ulysses

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm

clickeye wrote:Holy Moly. Finally after ten years of internet searching. It's me Tim and a humbled one after the kind words posted about our guitars. Sheesh. I am shaking while I post this. I got a lead on the Ebay sale after the bidding ended on the red one. We sent numerous EBAY messages to no avail to the seller who lives in Sevierville Tennessee. (Amazingly the same small town that a friend of mine now lives in who helped us with the guitars in Atlanta!!!!) What can I say? This is truly amazing. This guitar was the first design Concept I ever had and it went into production by fender. This was heavy stuff for an 18 year old. Danny and I are planning limited runs of them in the future as he lives close to me now in Denver. I am still designing like crazy along the same concept of the Mercury (Classic Aesthetic with improved function. If anyone is bored check them out at sculptrite.blogspot.com

As far as acquiring one, I am staggered at the prospect. Could this happen? Is this real? Let me know. I have a two and a half year old son who will never believe the story if I never have one hanging in my design gallery. No pressure of course. They are yours (if you still have them). If not. Let me know where they went PLEASE!!! Here is my EMAIL address. clickeye@hotmail.com

Once again I am truly flattered by the comments on this Post.- Tim
Tim,

you finally made it in here! Yes I still have both of the beauties and we will figure out something to get you one so your son won't think you're crazy! I'll shoot you an email too just in case you do tbsee this. It would drive me crazy having two of these knowing the guy who's responsible for them may never find one again so rest assured we'll get one over to you.

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 pm

I have to say, this has to be the coolest damn thread I have read on OSG. It is truly shameful that Tim and Danny did not get the credit they deserved for the design that became a Fender production model. It's so cool of live-i-evil to offer to try to right that wrong in a small way/big way, it's awesome. Unprecedented coolness and generosity. :-*

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Live-I-Evil You are the man!
I am so impressed by your kindness. I don't really know what else to say but you have restored some of my faith in the human race.

Tim,
I would love to purchase a new Mercury when/if you and your partner begin production again; consider that one sold!

gofive
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gofive » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Live-i-evil is an amazing person. I probably wouldn't be that generous, especially with a beautiful guitar like that!

But such a cool story.

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Live-I-Evil called me the other day and we talked for a second while he was on a short trip. I was so excited and I probably overwhelmed him for a few minutes as I filled him in on my self centered history. He made it through like champ. He said that he was missing the bridge on his red Mercury. I talked to Danny and he thinks that he has a bridge from the original stock! Now how cool would that be? Anyway, I thought I should let you guys know that Danny was the craftsman genius on those guitars. He was precocious to the max. He had already built his first metal guitar at 16 or so at the school wood shop. None of this could have happened without him. It is commonly said that artists acting alone with one vision create the great art but in the case of most guitar design I don't agree. Manufacturing has to be considered and function mulled over. Anyway, I am totally jazzed with the response on this site. Don't tell Live-I-Evil but after we buy one from him me and Danny will give him the second one we make from the Denver shop (We will keep the first one as we have learned our lesson). Thanks again for the kind words. I think Danny even cried when he looked at this thread.-Tim

P.S. I talked to Danny about the story that Elecrovac posted earlier about Kurt Kobain. He said it was true and reminded me that we were building Kurt Kobain a left handed one when he passed away. I had forgotten. Here's the kicker. Danny still has the left handed body in the raw wood! Now. How cool is that?

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Original Mercury drawing and Pick up protypes

Post by clickeye » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UCkAdiQksCA/T ... C01403.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sCj-fc5_UmQ/T ... C01399.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TalkingBook
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TalkingBook » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Very snazzy looking instruments indeed. Just looks like it would be fun to play, somehow.
Stuff: CIJ JM, Laney VC30, Highway One J-Bass, Markbass Little Mark Tube & Club 102

Band: litus.bandcamp.com

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Whoa! Stacked humbuckers!
I have a Venus XII. A black one. Do you want Fender versions, too?