Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jingle_jangle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Post by jingle_jangle » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:18 pm

It looks really nice (I'm a fan and owner of Venuses), and also has a quality look that sounds like it's matched by feel and sounds, too.

Just a single comment on the styling...did everything HAVE to be rounded-off?

Additionally (couldn't just let it go at one, sorry...) it seems also that a lot of the guitar hobbyists who get bit by the builder bug (and kudos to this guy for having the guts to build a series!), put everything they have into their babies. By that I also mean every fantasy they've ever had about the electronics...it shows in too many switches and/or too busy a control layout. Since most are stuck with catalog electronic parts and knobs, the control area becomes the weak point in an otherwise pleasing design.

One of the amazing characteristics of Fender designs is their restraint in this department (well, except for the Marauder... 8) ). I think this "tradition" of restraint is kept in the JM and Jag by using thumbwheels for the jazz or rhythm circuit on these...

jbiscuti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jbiscuti » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:16 pm

jingle_jangle wrote: I think this "tradition" of restraint is kept in the JM and Jag by using thumbwheels for the jazz or rhythm circuit on these...
Absolutely. A stroke of genius.

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Mecler wrote:Show the red one. Or both in the same picture!
I will when I get a chance. I've been havin a full schedule lately, work or school everyday and I'm moving this weekend. But soon, I promise. ;D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 pm

I can see the Ric thing, but something about it also says Dan Armstrong to me.

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:49 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:I can see the Ric thing, but something about it also says Dan Armstrong to me.
Well I do love me a Dan Armstrong if that counts for anything.

enharmonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enharmonic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:46 pm

Very cool guitar. I almost bought the green one on ebay myself, but opted instead of a Gretsch 6129 in a crazy rare silverburst sparkle. :)

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:11 pm

enharmonic wrote:Very cool guitar. I almost bought the green one on ebay myself, but opted instead of a Gretsch 6129 in a crazy rare silverburst sparkle. :)
:w00t:

Pics?!?

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:07 pm

I definitely see a lot of Surfcaster in there too- headstock, F-hole, color options, MOP guard...

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:10 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:I definitely see a lot of Surfcaster in there too- headstock, F-hole, color options, MOP guard...

I always wanted a surfcaster, they just seem so awesome. Anyway, red one came yesterday but I haven't even had time to open it, just got keys to my new apartment yesterday and everything is sooo chaotic. Pics will come soon, though.

SparkleSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SparkleSparkle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Good thing I didn't notice the red one on ebay. One our wallets would have significantly less money in it. ;D

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Just read that story on facebook and looked this thread up in a search. Interesting, but not at all surprising, to know that the idea for the Venus was stolen by Courtney and that the creators were neither paid or given credit for the guitar they designed. It's terribly sad that you see postings all over the internet saying, "Courtney Love designed one amazing guitar!!" ::) :k

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:47 am

egosheep wrote:Just read that story on facebook and looked this thread up in a search. Interesting, but not at all surprising, to know that the idea for the Venus was stolen by Courtney and that the creators were neither paid or given credit for the guitar they designed. It's terribly sad that you see postings all over the internet saying, "Courtney Love designed one amazing guitar!!" ::) :k
It really is. In that story on Facebook the original designer says he doesn't even have one of his guitars left and has been looking for one so as much as I love them I think I'm gonna get one to him. He deserves that at the least and I'm a sucker for people getting things they love back. I'm the kind of person that sells an amp back to the person I bought it from(I just did this, and at a loss because the guy was pretty broke) if they're really sad they gave it up. Anyway, I'm just trying to decide which color I can part with, the red one is quite beautiful but they're both stunners. I'll have to post pictures of the red one and have a vote here.

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:16 pm

live-i-evil wrote: It really is. In that story on Facebook the original designer says he doesn't even have one of his guitars left and has been looking for one so as much as I love them I think I'm gonna get one to him. He deserves that at the least and I'm a sucker for people getting things they love back.
Wow, that would be super nice of you. If you can do that, that would mean so much to the guy that built it, I'm sure.

Imagine having a company like Fender mass producing your design, and making money off of it, with you getting no money or recognition. What a fucking nightmare. I just wish he had had the money at the time to sue Fender over it.

hobb_masta_flex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hobb_masta_flex » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Wow! What an interesting story. Good read. Despite the unfortunate end of their guitar company, and the craziness of getting their design ripped off, it seems like he got to pursue design through other avenues, which is cool. I think, as a lot of us have found, admiring and building beautiful guitars gives you an eye for design. It would be great for them to get back into production. And how amazing of you to even consider offering up one of yours to the original builders!

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 am

hobb_masta_flex wrote:Wow! What an interesting story. Good read. Despite the unfortunate end of their guitar company, and the craziness of getting their design ripped off, it seems like he got to pursue design through other avenues, which is cool. I think, as a lot of us have found, admiring and building beautiful guitars gives you an eye for design. It would be great for them to get back into production. And how amazing of you to even consider offering up one of yours to the original builders!
Yeah, building car bodies sounds pretty damn cool! I sent him a message on Facebook with a link to this thread so hopefully I'll hear back from him.